Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:42 PM

407 posts, read 829,122 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, There is a chance I may be moving to Ft Myers (Around Daniel Pkwy/I-75 area) and was curious if anyone who has lived or been in this area for some time can give me a little info on the area. I'm in my early 20s, love the beach, beachfront restaurants, boating, and I'm a musician so music/live shows are a must. Have done a lot of searching on the internet in the pass few months and seems that most of the better reviews are around Estero and Bonita Springs.

Below I'm going list a few questions and if anyone can give input I would appreciate it.

Are there any bad neighborhoods I should stay away from?

Crime rate?

Where are the safest shopping areas for groceries, outlets, etc?

How is the area around Florida Gulf Coast University? Is it a relatively safe place to be?

I love seafood and italian (key lime pie too!), any recommended areas for seafood and italian restaurants?

Are there any nice beaches, state or county parks, attractions, day trips in the area? Are there any beaches with free public access?

How is the boating in and around this area?

How is traffic throughout southwest florida? Any roadways to avoid? toll roads?

Thank you for any input, I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 08:33 PM

616 posts, read 1,565,119 times
My Opinions/ experience in bold within your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
Hi Everyone, There is a chance I may be moving to Ft Myers (Around Daniel Pkwy/I-75 area) and was curious if anyone who has lived or been in this area for some time can give me a little info on the area. I'm in my early 20s, love the beach, beachfront restaurants, boating, and I'm a musician so music/live shows are a must. Have done a lot of searching on the internet in the pass few months and seems that most of the better reviews are around Estero and Bonita Springs.

Below I'm going list a few questions and if anyone can give input I would appreciate it.

Are there any bad neighborhoods I should stay away from? In that area not really. [B]Mostly gated communities / builder communities. [/b]

Crime rate? Most of the crime you're going to experience is going to be in the form of San Carlos Park which is a couple miles south (Alico road area) depending on where you're coming from... it's going to depend on your comfortableness. Most of the crime is assault (fights with the family /friends) / and theft. See - https://www.crimereports.com/ and scroll around the area

Where are the safest shopping areas for groceries, outlets, etc? Daniels is a major thoroughfare. You'll find a lot of restaurants / stores / Mirromar Outlets is about a 10 min drive (it's on Corkscrew)

How is the area around Florida Gulf Coast University? Is it a relatively safe place to be? Yes. See the above crimereports.com

I love seafood and italian (key lime pie too!), any recommended areas for seafood and italian restaurants? I have never been - but have heard Skip One on 41 (Cleveland Avenue) is pretty good seafood. I don't get to go try new restaurants as much as I'd like - especially since I live in the Cape Coral area - but I do work in the area that you're talking about.

Are there any nice beaches, state or county parks, attractions, day trips in the area? Are there any beaches with free public access? Afaik, most of the access to beach in the area is free - but will get you on the parking. You're moving to a state where you can literally go from one side of the state to the other and back again in a day. Miami is about 3.5 hours away, Tampa 2 hours, Orlando 3 hours... Key West 6 hours...

How is the boating in and around this area? We're surrounded by water...

How is traffic throughout southwest florida? Any roadways to avoid? toll roads? Depends on the time of the year. As said before, Daniels is a major road. During the tourist season - Nov.ish to Mayish - leaving 5 mins later could result in major delays. The lights run long and a lot of times, you can be waiting for 3/4 lights before you're through. You should be a very defensive driver. Due to congestion / lack of courtesy / whatever, many people will tend to make double turn lane out of single turn lane / try to beat you to light and cut over especially at the major intersections. Not much in toll roads - unless you're going to Sanibel Island (6.00) or to Cape Coral (2.00) You can get a pass (Sunpass - prepaid discount transponder thing) if you going to be traveling throughout the state (Alligator Alley / Turnpike / East coast ) that have more tolls.

Thank you for any input, I really appreciate it!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 AM

693 posts, read 2,013,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
My Opinions/ experience in bold within your questions:
I agree with everything you said, except you times to get to places. From Daniels Pkwy and 75 it shouldn't take you much longer than 2 hours to get to Miami, Key West is closer to a 5 hour drive from Cape Coral (I've done it many times), Tampa is about 2.5 hours, and you can get to Orlando in under 3.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 AM

616 posts, read 1,565,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
I agree with everything you said, except you times to get to places. From Daniels Pkwy and 75 it shouldn't take you much longer than 2 hours to get to Miami, Key West is closer to a 5 hour drive from Cape Coral (I've done it many times), Tampa is about 2.5 hours, and you can get to Orlando in under 3.
I was going based off of mapquest / general time frame as everyone drives differently. For me, I usually take 30 to hr off of the time depending on the distance / route.

Good to know that Key West is about 5 hours - might have to do a weekend trip with the wife.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:15 PM

693 posts, read 2,013,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
I was going based off of mapquest / general time frame as everyone drives differently. For me, I usually take 30 to hr off of the time depending on the distance / route.

Good to know that Key West is about 5 hours - might have to do a weekend trip with the wife.
You can also take the ferry out of Ft Myers Beach. It's a pretty nice ride.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:21 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
You can also take the ferry out of Ft Myers Beach. It's a pretty nice ride.

I've done that before. You can stay the day and come back that afternoon, or just return whenever you are ready.

It has been 8 or 9 years since I did it, but they used to have specials. Like you could go down on your birthday for free with a paying ticket. My wife and I went down and only had to pay for her ticket.

https://www.seakeywestexpress.com/default.htm

Old 06-18-2012, 02:23 PM

It is 600 miles round trip from Cape Coral to Key West. Assuming 25 MPG and $3.50 per gallon, it will cost $84 to go there and back.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Thank you all for your feedback! I've been two Key West twice in the past 2 years and loved it. Good to know its not a bad drive down there.

When I asked how's boating I wanted to know what most locals do/go with there boat. Nice places to see.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
When I asked how's boating I wanted to know what most locals do/go with there boat. Nice places to see.
Boats are a money pit. So that's what they do with their boat...lol

Couldnt resist

Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM

I agree brianjb. It really is. I've been boating since the day I was born so its too hard for me to give it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area