Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 PM

964 posts, read 2,069,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
We have rented homes in SWF for many years, this is the first time I've rented on a canal.
One thing that I didn't realize...how noise travels when you are on a canal!

One neighbor 3 canals over has a noisy dog, you would swear this beast is tied up to my back door. One neighbor starts the day with gagging and coughing, I think he's on my deck. Low conversations can be overheard with little effort.

Just something to realize before purchasing on a canal. Noise levels seem to escalate.

This experience has shown me that canal living isn't my cup of tea. Especially ones with houses side by side by side. Too many eyes, too much noise. Lucky for me I found a place with a preserve across the canal.... am sure that will bring me more bugs, but at least it should be quieter?
Dual
I need to bookmark this! Whenever I start to regret not spending the extra money for a canal home I need to come back to this post. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 05:12 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,355,475 times
My last home was on the water. The neighbor across the street made more noise than the ones across the canal. To me the benefits of living on the water far outweigh the negatives. My current home is also on a canal. No problems with noisy neighbors yet. I love looking at the water, watching fish jump, seeing dolphin and watching boats go by. Some folks like having a boat too.

Last edited by rikoshaprl; 12-14-2011 at 05:48 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 05:34 AM

621 posts, read 1,425,839 times
I agree that you can't beat living on water!
When I began my search for a home here, that was a non negotiable item. Had to be on water.
In the past, we were lucky that we were always able to rent places on big open waterfronts. Bayfront, ocean front, river front, never a canal. In just a couple of weeks here, I figured out that canal life wouldn't be high on my list.

Some of the noises are fun, the mullet jumping make me laugh, the dolphins swimming by, the birds splashing after their dinners, watching the boats go by...... but if you hate the sounds of neighbors... it's just one more thing to consider when looking for a house.

Hey, I'll take the extra noise though over shoveling that evil white stuff!
Dual

Old 12-14-2011, 02:01 PM

535 posts, read 1,035,558 times
There arn't many places in Florida where you can't hear your neighbors while both are outside I doubt any can hear any thing while inside (with the air on) whether it be on the water or not, Possibly a ranch in North Port perhaps

Old 12-14-2011, 06:37 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,659,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Never heard of any pythons being spotted in this area and the iguana's were pretty much wiped out two years ago in that cold snap.We've seen a few smaller ones but not many...not to worry because they are vegans
They did a study within the last few years in which some pythons were taken to a herpetarium (?) in SC for a study to see if they could determine how far north they could survive. They were unpleasantly surprised that the Pythons seemed to adapt in the cold weather and just go into a sort of hibernation, indicating they could move further north than previously thought. This study was shown on NatGeo, I think, it was a reputable channel. Anyway, they do believe they will move further than just the Everglades, eventually, as we here in central Florida have much lakes and swamp area. It is understandable.

Re iguanas, from everything I read, the iguanas were merely stunned by the cold and not wiped out. My brother lived in SW florida and he has seen them coming across his yard, since the cold weather.

I am not in any way saying that what you are saying does not have merit but, what I am saying has merit as well. I have lived here all of my life and have battled native and nonnative "monsters" here in Florida. My current favorite is the giant toad that I keep finding in my garden......
Florida Wildlife Extension at UF/IFAS very nasty looking creature. I found a whole cluster of these uglies on my outside sentry light....ugh... The Cuban Treefrog in Florida

we have lots of interesting creatures here in Florida.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:22 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,882,917 times
You're probably right,Annie.I don't doubt that study.....just hope they don't work their way up to NH.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:40 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,106,328 times
I was watching animal planet last night regarding the wild boar taking over, anyone noticing lee county increases in Pig Roasts?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:23 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,355,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I was watching animal planet last night regarding the wild boar taking over, anyone noticing lee county increases in Pig Roasts?
No, but lots of BBQ restaurants.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:04 AM

964 posts, read 2,069,147 times
I was in Philadelphia for a business trip this week. Wild boar is showing up on upscale menus - had a terrific Wild Boar Bolognese - no kidding!

Here's the link with a pic:

PhilaFoodie: Osteria

Old 12-15-2011, 11:26 AM

646 posts, read 1,645,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
No, but lots of BBQ restaurants.
HAHAHA. Good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area