Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 AM

64 posts, read 205,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
It's a hard comparison between the two. I find them very different and would appeal to people differently.

Fort Myers has more job opportunities. Most parts of Ft myers are closer to the beach. Closer to shopping at places like Coconut point, miramar, tanger outlets. They have the airport and the professional baseball teams. There seem to be much more condo's and gated communities. Obviously more nightlife.

Some drawbacks is there is no dispute much more crime.. not even comparable. There is more traffic.

Cape coral was/ is nicknamed cape coma mostly because the people that were looking for the amenities that ft myers has is not found in cape coral. but...... Cape Coral offers different things that are very appealing to people that seek other things. Boating access is one that has been well documented. decent schools, low crime. good value for housing. Depending on the section it can feel close to urban or very rural. very little traffic. I hear the sports programs for kids are very good. There are plenty of resturaunts and big box stores that you don't have to go over the bridge much. some parts (SE) are close to beaches by car. Sanibel is only 2 miles by boat. I can be on Cayo Costa from my dock to gulf side in 40mins. By car bowmans beach on sanibel takes just shy of an hour by the time you park and carry cooler and lawn chairs to the beach. I find the boat ride much more enjoyable. there are also many other little islands to dock and explore like Cabbage key, and north captiva, Boca Grande , Bokeelia.

I decided on Cape Coral because I don't care for shopping, I don't like traffic, I don't like an Urban feel. But I am an avid boater. I could easily see how someone who doesn't boat, likes to shop , and likes a nightlife would hate cape coral and love ft myers. So it's much more of a personal preference than saying one is better than the other.
I agree fort myers is a better location,imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,698 times
Neither! Go to. who knows...we are thinking Georgia, Carolina s, or just back to the Midwest and deal with the cold and snow.
I want my old neighborhood feel back..with sidewalks for families and kids to walk/ride bikes on , where traffic does not fly by at 30+ an hour (and with no sidewalks to boot!) The schools are OK, no complaints there except for the early high school start time of 7am! That is crazy. Poor kids need sleep, and with homework and activities..no time for sleep. Walking zombies and cranky ones too. It is too hot here most of the year to even play outside and forget dusk..too many mosquitoes. My kids love playing in the snow in the Midwest when we visit and spend more time outdoors there, than here in Florida..Oh..did I mention the fire ants--or weedy, grass that feels like thorns instead of grass?? So much for rolling around in the grass and playing..
I am also not used to the "lack of culture" here. I like a mix of people but that being said it is largely Hispanic all around Ft Myers and Cape now and the rest seems to be (sorry to offend) tattooed all over, pierced all over, cannot speak proper English types. Not the type I want my growing girls to meet when they are dating. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 PM

693 posts, read 2,013,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwater View Post
Neither! Go to. who knows...we are thinking Georgia, Carolina s, or just back to the Midwest and deal with the cold and snow.
I want my old neighborhood feel back..with sidewalks for families and kids to walk/ride bikes on , where traffic does not fly by at 30+ an hour (and with no sidewalks to boot!) The schools are OK, no complaints there except for the early high school start time of 7am! That is crazy. Poor kids need sleep, and with homework and activities..no time for sleep. Walking zombies and cranky ones too. It is too hot here most of the year to even play outside and forget dusk..too many mosquitoes. My kids love playing in the snow in the Midwest when we visit and spend more time outdoors there, than here in Florida..Oh..did I mention the fire ants--or weedy, grass that feels like thorns instead of grass?? So much for rolling around in the grass and playing..
I am also not used to the "lack of culture" here. I like a mix of people but that being said it is largely Hispanic all around Ft Myers and Cape now and the rest seems to be (sorry to offend) tattooed all over, pierced all over, cannot speak proper English types. Not the type I want my growing girls to meet when they are dating. Just my 2 cents.
Here is a glimpse of what exactly is wrong with this country.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
Quote:
I have to wonder why you moved here if you don't like the heat and you love the snow and cold. I'm sure there must have been a reason. But to each their own, Bon Voyage!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:13 AM

158 posts, read 381,782 times
Quote:
It is too hot here most of the year to even play outside and forget dusk..too many mosquitoes.
I grew up in Texas which is much hotter than here and we always played outside as long as we could. Are kids really that soft these days?

Quote:
I am also not used to the "lack of culture" here.
It sounds like you cannot appreciate what SWF has to offer--beautiful scenery, outdoor living, blue skies, no pollution, mild winters, great beaches, amazing wildlife, no traffic nightmares, very affordable housing, short driving distances--to name a few things. Unless you are looking for work, I can't imagine a better place to be...

Old 02-09-2013, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,343 times
have you consider Naples?

Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
Here is a glimpse of what exactly is wrong with this country.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,632,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesHomes View Post
have you consider Naples?
or Punta Gorda....either one has that small town feel

Gary

Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
or Punta Gorda....either one has that small town feel

Gary
Naples doesn't have a small-town feel, in my opinion. Punta Gorda does, though! As large as Cape Coral is, it does as well, in a lot of ways. In fact there are lots of areas in FL that do.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:28 AM

191 posts, read 299,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Naples doesn't have a small-town feel, in my opinion. Punta Gorda does, though! As large as Cape Coral is, it does as well, in a lot of ways. In fact there are lots of areas in FL that do.

Punta Gorda is quite nice. My wife's parents and sister & husband have lived there for 25+ years. We have spent quite a bit of time there over the years and now that I've retired we will be moving there in October. Really looking forward to it !

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area