Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 09:25 PM

407 posts, read 829,002 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone, I'm currently attending FGCU and planning to major in Special education. I've been apprehensive about choosing this for my career. I would love to teach inclusion students but do not know if I would have to teach students with larger disabilities as well. In lee county can I have a decision on where I want to teach.
Also, what are the starting teacher salaries in lee county?
How secure is this occupation, and is there currently a market for it?

Thank you for any feed back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
Hey Everyone, I'm currently attending FGCU and planning to major in Special education. I've been apprehensive about choosing this for my career. I would love to teach inclusion students but do not know if I would have to teach students with larger disabilities as well. In lee county can I have a decision on where I want to teach.
Also, what are the starting teacher salaries in lee county?
How secure is this occupation, and is there currently a market for it?

Thank you for any feed back
99% of ESE now is inclusion - that 1% is the severe SB units / Royal Palm. In order to get a job, go to the Leeschools.net website and under employment search for the position you would like to apply for. I'm not sure what you mean by "larger disabilities" - are you looking for those who are less "severe"/ less profound?

Approximately 38k is the starting wage for Lee County schools. There's always a market for ESE, but roles are changing as to how bad you're going to get "screwed"

Old 06-11-2013, 01:09 AM

What do you mean by how badly I'm going to get "screwed"?
Does lee county evaluate its teachers based on student performance?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
What do you mean by how badly I'm going to get "screwed"?
Does lee county evaluate its teachers based on student performance?
No matter where you go in Florida - that is the case. Fully in effect in the 2014 school year.

Plan on teaching multiple grades - wife had 15 preps a day for her lesson plans last year. No stipend for all the ESE paperwork that needs to get done - to prepare for the IEP meeting. At least with Lee County - don't plan on having a family insurance through the district (over 1k a month deducted from your check). 3% mandated to be taken out of your paycheck for your retirement. There has been budget cuts in the Federal budget that not only affects the general education but also ESE.

Granted, ESE is (in my opinion) one of the most rewarding careers, but the burn out rate is very high.

"The attrition, or “burn-out,” rate for special education teachers is extremely high compared to most other professions. 50% of special education teachers leave their jobs within 5 years. Half of those who make it past 5 years will leave within 10 years. This equates to a 75% turnover rate every 10 years" (Dage, 2006).

Old 06-11-2013, 10:31 AM

Regarding the family insurance, I thought teaching was a state job and insurance would be provided by the state. An extra 12k taken out of your yearly pay seems unrealistic to support a household in Fla.

What benefits do Fla teachers receive...? Teachers deserve just as much respect as any other occupation. We are here to pave Americas future.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Regarding the family insurance, I thought teaching was a state job and insurance would be provided by the state. An extra 12k taken out of your yearly pay seems unrealistic to support a household in Fla.

What benefits do Fla teachers receive...? Teachers deserve just as much respect as any other occupation. We are here to pave Americas future.
Ahh yes the dream that many people think that teacher get - everything paid for, pension, summers off, and 7am to 3pm job...

Lee county insurance cost (per pay - ie multiply it by 2) http://insurance.leeschools.net/pdf/...lth%204-13.pdf

Charlotte county - http://www.yourcharlotteschools.net/...ts_Summary.pdf

Collier actually pays for their full time employees - Collier County Public Schools

The benefits - purely the self-recognition that you taught your class. This isn't a Florida thing... but a national epidemic of business people trying to run a "lean" operation and trying to use same concepts on a organization that is run by minds - not productivity.

Granted, that we do need to find a way to kick out the truly ineffective teachers... but this way is screwing over many good ones.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:10 PM

I had no idea that Fla. teachers had to pay for there health insurance. Is it really practical to be a teacher in SW Florida? How do most families do it to make ends meet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area