Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 02:39 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times

Advertisements

We spent 3 months in Cape Coral in a home exchange a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Now that we are living in NC, we are considering returning to escape the colder winter weather here.

This time we would be doing a rental. We would want 1-2 bedrooms, nothing overly pricey or fancy, but not a hole-in-the-wall either. Condo or SFR. When should we start looking for this? Besides VRBO.com what sites should we use?

Unfortunately, we will have to rent this site unseen, so any advice on that risk would be very welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:36 PM

122 posts, read 201,386 times
Not sure if VRBO is the same inventory but you can try homeaway.com and vacationrentals.com. Have the owner or manager email you any additional and updated pictures and ask alot of questions. If you know the area or neighborhood that you are planning on renting, that will help alot with the search.

I actually flew down in the summer first, each time I rented , once because I could not find anything on the internet and the other I wanted to make sure it was ok because it was a older home. I was glad I flew down on the older home. The pictures looked great on the internet,but when I saw it in person, a different story. I could see it had a bug problem,smelled a little bit inside. They said the pool was heated on the internet but found out when I was there it was only solar heated. There was other things but I think you get the idea. So you must be very sure its the one when site unseen. I would also pop any questions that you have on here while the search process is ongoing. I would start your search now, so you can take your time.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 AM

130 posts, read 277,925 times
Keep us updated on how your search is going and if you are finding new websites or any words of wisdom. I am interested, and I'm sure many others are too.
You might want to try realtors also. They usually eyeball the properties they are representing and I think they are more honest. After all, their reputation is on the line if they rent something that is misrepresented. That's what I think anyway....I have no experience in renting so take it with a grain of salt.
I have seen rentals on tripadvisor also with reviews. We did rent a condo for a week using this site and the reviews were quite accurate.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 PM

374 posts, read 796,443 times
Renting from an individual private owner is tough thing. As a landlord it is very difficult for me to trust those who inquire about my property. Tough both ways. I think if you do your due diligence and ask a lot of questions you can kinda weed out the listings you feel comfortable with and those you don't. I know, I know... that doesn't really give you an answer, so I think the best thing to do is once you find a few listings that interest you... come back on here and ask about the specific areas. There will always be someone who can tell you nay or yea. Maybe not about the exact home, but at least about the association or area in which the property resides. It took me a few years, but I now have permanent "winter" birds that come down every year for Jan/Feb/Mar.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:21 PM

130 posts, read 277,925 times
Florida Paradise - question for you. We bought a home that we are thinking of renting until we retire in 1.5 years. You said you have permanent winter birds that come down Jan-Mar. What do you do with your home the rest of the year?

Old 06-26-2013, 02:39 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We spent 3 months in Cape Coral in a home exchange a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Now that we are living in NC, we are considering returning to escape the colder winter weather here.

This time we would be doing a rental. We would want 1-2 bedrooms, nothing overly pricey or fancy, but not a hole-in-the-wall either. Condo or SFR. When should we start looking for this? Besides VRBO.com what sites should we use?

Unfortunately, we will have to rent this site unseen, so any advice on that risk would be very welcome.
Do you have an idea of what you'll be spending?

Old 06-26-2013, 02:49 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agstacker View Post
Not sure if VRBO is the same inventory but you can try homeaway.com and vacationrentals.com. Have the owner or manager email you any additional and updated pictures and ask alot of questions. If you know the area or neighborhood that you are planning on renting, that will help alot with the search.
Homeaway & VRBO are the same company. Still, the rentals on any site are only as reliable as the ads posted by private owners. It's just like advertising in the newspaper. I rented 2 condos from VRBO and had 2 very different experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agstacker View Post
The pictures looked great on the internet,but when I saw it in person, a different story.
I should have read further. Exactly what happened to me. I live in Florida, but in Feb I rented a condo in AL on the beach that looked a lot larger and cleaner in the photos posted. It was still cheaper than SWFL in Feb, although there were lots of snowbirds there too.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 AM

374 posts, read 796,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtobewarm View Post
Florida Paradise - question for you. We bought a home that we are thinking of renting until we retire in 1.5 years. You said you have permanent winter birds that come down Jan-Mar. What do you do with your home the rest of the year?
We use it a few times a year and the rest of the time it just sits empty. I have rented it out in the past 6-7 months out of the year, but at this point I don't need the revenue. You see I bought at the low of the housing crash in 2009. Literally paid less for my townhome than I did for my SUV... so costs for this home are minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area