Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 11:47 AM

55 posts, read 135,077 times

Advertisements

I am an older single woman looking to invest in an inexpensive, not too big single family home or townhouse with water access.

I was recently in Ft. Myers and, after talking to several people, was told to head to Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda for more affordable, which I did. I am a sailor and looked at quite a few canal properties, but none were suitable for my fixed keep sailboat, and I was also told the canals and bay "empty out" in winter!

So, while I liked the area and prices, I haven't looked elsewhere yet, and with the high cost of flood insurance, am looking for a good rental investment to move into a few years down the road, and rethinking water access. If there is an affordable "no frills" yacht club or marina in the area, I don't need the water access.

I'm just hearing so many different stories about Punta Gorda being better/safer than Cape Coral, but the winter water situation is a big concern!

I'm looking for around 1100 - 1500 sf around $100,000, structurally sound but cosmetic fixer upper fine. Not really a lake person either.

I heard Ft Myers is better for jobs/younger population - that was the one thing that turned me off about Port Charlotte - nothing but 80 year olds lusting after younger women (I'm not retirement age YET!). Would like a more diverse population and love hanging out with the "kids" especially for sailing and activities.

Ideas where best a woman living alone can find this and be safe?

Thanks!

Annie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 AM

39 posts, read 76,409 times
I think that you would be hard pressed to find a home in the Cape with water access for a sailboat for $100K or for that matter anywhre else, except around Port Charlotte. And the crime in the Cape is not as bad as some people have said it is.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:21 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,102,189 times
I think ft myers beach on the bay side may have some mobile home parks that have water access

Old 05-22-2014, 07:22 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,895,624 times
$100K and waterfront don't normally fit into the same sentence these days, regardless of the area. But you will get the most bang for your buck in the Cape or Port Charlotte areas. Deep water and no bridges to go under may be the deal breaker anywhere for that kind of money.

But with the high number of foreclosures, and some patience with cash in hand, you might luck out somewhere. Your analogy of PC is pretty correct, it IS demographically much older than the Cape, and you could keep your boat at one of the marinas so you would have water access to Charlotte Harbor/ The Gulf. I used to work in PC and when you get there things slooooooooooow down a lot, but that isn't all bad either.

Don

Old 05-23-2014, 12:19 PM

25 posts, read 45,659 times
I would definitely look in Cape Coral. The housing market is going up and is a great place to buy a home. It has over 400 miles of canals and is labeled the city with the most canals in the world. There are two harbors in south cape (Tarpon Point Marina, and Cape Harbor) both gorgeous and quite big. The city has a pretty low crime rate also!
These next couple of years are a developing age for Cape Coral. They are having many new businesses open up(138 new businesses last month) and many new homes and commercial businesses buying built, such as a Wawa and a SAMs club. It is also very affordable to build or buy a house. Building a 1611 sq ft house with high end features would run you about 150,000, and less to buy a preowned home.
I hope this helps
Anthony

Old 05-24-2014, 08:24 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,349,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopla98 View Post
It is also very affordable to build or buy a house. Building a 1611 sq ft house with high end features would run you about 150,000, and less to buy a preowned home.
I hope this helps
Anthony
Interesting post. How did you come up with 1611 sq ft? Does $150,000 include land, impact fees, water/ sewer, pool? I think most homes built today are about 2,000 sq ft.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:56 PM

25 posts, read 45,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Interesting post. How did you come up with 1611 sq ft? Does $150,000 include land, impact fees, water/ sewer, pool? I think most homes built today are about 2,000 sq ft.
Actually it does include water and sewer, pool is obviously an add on (28,000 +/- with Jacuzzi)and land now is roughly 3000. Going up to 2000 sq ft brings up the price to about 180,000. But it is all in what part of the city you build and who your contractor is.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:13 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,102,189 times
Quote:
Actually it does include water and sewer, pool is obviously an add on (28,000 +/- with Jacuzzi)and land now is roughly 3000. Going up to 2000 sq ft brings up the price to about 180,000. But it is all in what part of the city you build and who your contractor is.

land is no longer $3000 I did a search on Zillow there is one lot on del prado for $2k but I bet there is something wrong with it as it has been on the market for a long time.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:21 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,349,705 times
Quote:
$28,000 for a pool/jacuzzi seems a little light. If you are getting a screened enclosure, pavers, heat pump, a modern lighting system and a control panel to automatically turn the valves from pool to spa, you are looking in the $40,000 + range. Still a new 2000 sq ft home with all the bells and whistles for $177,000 plus land sounds like a good price. Only half the city has water and sewer so the lot would have to be south of Pine Island Rd. Who is the builder?

Old 06-01-2014, 07:12 AM

621 posts, read 1,424,702 times
Have you checked out Pine Island? Great sailboat access, no bridges to speak of. There are still some fairly reasonably prices homes, on the water. If you don't want a huge house.. check out Cherry Estates. It's a community of manufactured homes, on the water, city water and sewer. Low maintenance, and Pine Island sound is minutes away. There are some very large sailboats there!

Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area