Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 4,381 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks, my wife and I are looking at an existing business in the area (to purchase). We would then move to Cape Coral from North Dakota. We don't have any kids coming with us, we do have two small dogs a total weight of less than 10lbs.

What are the must knows of the area ? What does the area need ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 07:06 PM

16 posts, read 53,826 times
Must knows? In regards to what...kinda of a broad question. Houses, businesses, culture? What does the area need? I'd go with In & Out Burgers, but I'm from out west.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Yep, you covered a whole lot of areas there. Not sure what the weight of the dogs had to do with any of that so maybe you might expand a little.

One thing I might mention is that Summer is generally not the ideal time to open any new business because you have to survive until season comes in late fall, but since we don't know what kind of business you are considering, that is just general info.

Don

Old 06-22-2014, 10:17 PM

Well, let's put this a little more to the point.

What if anything must a new person to the Cape Coral community know. The type of business we are looking at is Family Entertainment our proposed name Billy Bob's Backyard.

What areas for residential should we avoid ? Gators in the canals ? Fears for small dogs ? What is traffic like ?

IF you were to tell a new person to the community something - what would that something be.

Wayne

Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 AM

180 posts, read 277,372 times
I'm not an expert on Cape Coral, but we spent a couple years looking for a place to live after retirement and chose the gulf area. I'm a little confused. Why are you asking about traffic? If you are considering opening a business in Cape Coral, haven't you been there visiting? Traffic is heavier during the winter months when all the snowbirds are there. Some will tell you traffic is awful. Some will say traffic is a piece of cake. All depends on their particular perspective.
I would tell anybody that is looking at moving to spend some time in the community and get a feel for it. That will answer a lot of your questions. The bottom line is everybody is different and some people love the area, some hate it....all for various reasons. There are some very lengthy threads about the pros and cons of Cape Coral and general information if you look.
As far as dogs...I have heard that all dogs should be leashed. Walking in preserves or near water or nature may not be a good thing for small dogs. I would think down a well populated street away from water would be OK, but I have no experience in the matter.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:28 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,017 times
Billy Bob's Backyard? Yes I think the business will work. Come on down.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:43 PM

95 posts, read 219,652 times
What the neck are you gonna put in Billy Bob's back yard. You could put it near the Shell Factory you would get along great. As far as Cape Coral maybe look in the north side of Cape Coral. It's a little more rural. North of Cape Coral.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:24 PM

Swimmy40

We plan on having activities for families to enjoy themselves while playing outside. We also plan on having league competitions so that those that like being the best can show off.

The location is somewhat chosen for us as we would be purchasing an existing business.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:12 AM

95 posts, read 219,652 times
Oh ok that kind of business sounds kind of cool. what kind of League competitions are you going
to have
Cape Coral is very family friendly in my opinion. As far as the gators if you mess with them they are gonna mess with you. They just kind of come out of the water and Sun themselves for a while and usually they don't bother you.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:34 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,966,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrowe62 View Post
Well, let's put this a little more to the point.

What if anything must a new person to the Cape Coral community know. The type of business we are looking at is Family Entertainment our proposed name Billy Bob's Backyard.

What areas for residential should we avoid ? Gators in the canals ? Fears for small dogs ? What is traffic like ?

IF you were to tell a new person to the community something - what would that something be.

Wayne

Any body of water will have gator and snakes. Lakes canals, backwaters of the gulf, retention ponds etc. If its water they're gonna be in there. Small dogs can and will be eaten by the gators when they get to close to the ponds. People make the mistake of walking their dogs near the water and they will quite literally be snatched off the leash in some instances. Happens usually yearly and we hear of the one macho who tries to wrestle it out of the gators mouth. In golden gate in Naples the panthers snatch them out of the yards. My husband has has several of those calls for 911.

Sunshinewi had it right, you either love or hate Cape Coral. Its commonly referred to as Cape Coma by a lot people in SWFL. Not much there but some strip malls and homes. My sister lived there for a while but left because she too didn't like it. You'll have to drive anywhere for any kind of actual entertainment and people from Ft. Myers and Naples, unless they have some business in Cape Coral aren't really going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area