Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:49 AM

964 posts, read 2,065,008 times

Advertisements

Curious to understand what others pay for primary residence homeowners / hurricane insurance for an older ranch home...circa 1972...in the Cape. I don't want to go into much detail on the wind mitigation spec of my home, etc. If you have a home built in that era before the more recent Miami Dade codes were put into effect, and you have the discount for shutters, roughly what do you pay? I'm paying $2300 and wonder if that's too high. This is not flood insurance.

Thanks for any contributions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 09:53 AM

29 posts, read 59,447 times
It all really depends on the house and what upgrades it has (new roof etc). Your best bet is to show around for current quotes. I have always gotten the best quotes from a local insurance company here in Cape Coral, message me if you want their info

Old 03-06-2015, 02:21 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
The wind mitigation details are important. If you have a hip roof you get about a $850 discount. I just lowered my rate from $2300 to $1450. I was being overcharged for a new pool and enclosure. Keep in mind you don't have to insure a pool or the land under you home. I used Allstate on Del Prado and 28th Ter

Old 03-06-2015, 06:42 PM

65 posts, read 75,446 times
In general, shopping around is the best approach to getting a reasonable quote.
Having said the obvious which I am sure you know, for a reasonable "apple to apple" comparison (both ways, for you and for the responder), it would be good to know the amount insured (or cost of house) besides the year of construction. (There may or may not have been a lot of changes/improvements/etc. done over the years.)

Old 03-10-2015, 05:18 AM

340 posts, read 1,046,534 times
Sounds like a ballpark rate. We are in Naples and pay a little less for a ranch home built in 1966.
Message me if you want my insurance agent's info

Old 03-10-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
The wind mitigation details are important. If you have a hip roof you get about a $850 discount. I just lowered my rate from $2300 to $1450. I was being overcharged for a new pool and enclosure. Keep in mind you don't have to insure a pool or the land under you home. I used Allstate on Del Prado and 28th Ter
Thanks, Riko - unfortunately, we do not have a hip roof. Can you elaborate on how you determined you were being overcharged?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
Thanks, Riko - unfortunately, we do not have a hip roof. Can you elaborate on how you determined you were being overcharged?
I knew there was no reason for a large increase for just my pool enclosure. They were increasing me for the added value the pool added to my home. But I don't have to insure my pool. I doubt there would be any damage from fire or hurricanes to it. I then got other quotes and found they were much lower.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I knew there was no reason for a large increase for just my pool enclosure. They were increasing me for the added value the pool added to my home. But I don't have to insure my pool. I doubt there would be any damage from fire or hurricanes to it. I then got other quotes and found they were much lower.
Thanks!

Old 03-15-2015, 07:45 AM

53 posts, read 120,410 times
They charge what they do because they can. Mine is $2300. My home was built in 69'. It's has been remolded/upgraded several times. The only thing that was ruined during a hurricane was the roof. It's still standing. It's concrete. I've jumped through all the hoops. Had all the inspections. The only one the house didn"t pass a 100% was 1 roof nail short in each joint. My argument for a lessor rate is too many nails in the joints ruins the structure of the wood! If you find a lesser rate & make a purchase, 60 days later you will get a new "oops" bill with a higher rate & you'll have to pay it. It's just the way it is.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:58 PM

They prefer metal straps on the joists which I have in my 1976 house. I get a credit for them. But my straps don't wrap around the top of the joist as is required in homes built after 2002 so I didn't get the maximum credit. I have roll down shutters on all windows and doors. I got credit for them. But some of the shutters are not as strong as the newest version so I didn't get the maximum credit for that either. Like I said before the biggest credit is for having a hip roof. And even more important is not being in a flood plain for flood insurance. Those rates are going up steeply every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area