Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 05:19 PM

4 posts, read 4,601 times

Advertisements

My wife and I visited the Fort Myers area from NY last week and started to notice that many of the homes had security gates at the end of their driveways. This was the case in all parts of all towns we visited from Sarasota to Marco Island, and even rural Pine Island acreages. Both large and modest houses had them. It was noticeable for us because I don't know of one property near us that has one of these things and in Florida they are extremely common.

Is home burglary common in SW Florida to the extent that gates are necessary or are all these homeowners just being paranoid? Is it just a cultural/regional thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 08:55 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
I live in a gated community here in Ft Myers, the second one I have lived in. Not sure why so many places have them but most "luxury" apartment communities and upscale home communities do. If there is no guard shack it really is false security though because anyone can simply wait outside the gate and enter behind a resident when they go in.

My one Son lives in a true gated community, there is a guard at the gate and if you are not a resident or have been put on the list to enter, you do not get in. That one is very secure.

Don

Old 08-03-2015, 07:22 AM

43 posts, read 45,707 times
I think that is because they are second homes of snowbirds who want to discourage trespassers. Just my Midwestern thought.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:24 AM

621 posts, read 1,421,683 times
I gated my driveway and house for my dogs...

Old 08-06-2015, 05:02 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,080 times
Because there are so many wealthy retirees living here, they want to feel protected, hence the gated communities. Also, Wizard is correct about snowbirds (wealthy people with at least two homes, one being the gated community down here) wanting to protect their investment down here while they travel/live elsewhere.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,295 times
Dualie, your gate for dogs makes sense and I did see a few that seems to more of a "yard" gate than one for security. I also noticed a few signs one the gate that claimed to have cameras watching too. But as noted, it also seems to be false security because there is nothing to stop someone from jumping the fence or gate and just walking up to the house. That said, if we were to buy a house set back from the road we would probably put in one of these.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:52 AM

621 posts, read 1,421,683 times
Let's face it, if someone wants to break in, not much is really going to stop them. When I lived in PA, our house was in the middle of 20 acres with lots of glass- doors and windows. We hardly ever locked a door because if someone wanted in.....

As I said my gate is mainly for the dogs, but it does give me a small sense of security. I never would want to live in a truly "gated community" - it just doesn't feel right to me. But I say that now, and things change in one's life.

I have noticed over the years with many trips to the south- you will see many more fenced yards in the southern states vs the northern states...not sure why other then they can via zoning laws? Or a sense of security? Don't know.

And like others have mentioned- there are so many part time owners here that when you are gone for months and months.... having a home behind gates and walls may help your investment stay safer.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:58 AM

163 posts, read 208,443 times
It makes all the old farts with money feel safer

Old 08-11-2015, 06:01 AM

43 posts, read 45,707 times
Yes bulldog, it dose make the old farts feel safer and also the younger ones too. With a lot of illegals here looking for something laying in your yard just for the taking I know I feel somewhat safer. Money has nothing to do with it how about personal safety....

Old 08-11-2015, 07:10 PM

163 posts, read 208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywizard View Post
Yes bulldog, it dose make the old farts feel safer and also the younger ones too. With a lot of illegals here looking for something laying in your yard just for the taking I know I feel somewhat safer. Money has nothing to do with it how about personal safety....
provides a false sense of security.if someone wanted in, they would get in. and yes,of course,lets blame the illegals because there was absolutely no crime in this country at all before they got here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area