Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 01:19 PM

390 posts, read 635,451 times

Advertisements

There have recently been some modular homes built in CC that are outside of the box, but they kind of look like boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 05:54 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
Where I lived, on Long Island and Queens, homes on a block looked exactly alike, sometimes for blocks at a time. At least in SE Cape Coral, where I am now, there are some differences between each house. Each had a different builder. Some are from the 70's, 80's. 90's or 2000's. Some are hacienda types, some have the raised foyer with the columns. Some have metal roofs some barrel tiles, some shingles. Some have hip roofs some don't. Some have arches or stone face features, some don't. Each is a different color. All are concrete block so they are similar. Almost all are set on two lots so their size is similar too. No Victorians though haha.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:21 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,284,816 times
maybe check out Paseo townhouses and casitas. More southwestern than mediterranean, with a twist.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:37 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I agree with the McGregor Blvd area; however they are going to be expensive. You aren't going to find many Victorian type houses in the area but a Key West style house is nicer than the usual homes they build in this area.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:41 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsoul View Post
HI, my best friend is relocating to Fort Myers area but she doesn't care for the typical Florida architecture. She is more of an Old World charm kind of girl. Quaint towns with outdoor shopping, restaurants, music, etc etc
Also needs to have some good elementary school options.
Any ideas?

thanks
Right off the riverfront in Fort Myers are some nice looking older homes. I would not guess that the schools are great as they are the same schools that the inner city kids a few blocks away would go to.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:03 AM

We have School Choice here so kids will not necessarily be going to the same schools as the "inner city kids". This was Lee County's solution to integrating the schools. So even if a person lives in Dunbar they could send their kid/kids to Cypress Lake if they want to.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:03 PM

50 posts, read 54,828 times
Really??!? Nobody has heard of Dean Park??!?

Dean Park Historic District | historic district in Fort Myers, Florida

If you like charming, historic, walkable neighbourhoods, it's the best Fort Myers has to offer. (I was looking for the same thing.) It's not quite New England, but walking around the little laneways behind the homes is plenty charming -- it was built when genteel people did not park their smelly, noisy autos in front of a home where neighbours had to see, hear and smell them; they had garages behind their home, instead. Most of the garages are now cute tiny rental cottages, B&Bs etc. They're the most charming places in FM, IMHO. And the big old homes fronting the streets are OK, too.

The next neighbourhood over, Gardner's Park, is next on the City's list for fixing up, so if you can't quite afford Dean Park (which is getting expensive) but you're willing to work to fix up a neighbourhood, it could be a good choice.

Though I will warn you, the locals here don't seem to like the old neighbourhoods at all; not even the nicer ones. Seriously: our neighbourhood is all foreigners and Yankees. Floridians seem to prefer the new subdivisions way out of town, with the bland same-y McMansions. To each their own, I guess.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:09 PM

50 posts, read 54,828 times
Dean Park isn't Victorian, though; it's 1920s/30s. But that's as old as you'll get in SWFL, AFAIK?

Anyone know of any older neighbourhoods here?

Old 11-28-2016, 03:55 PM

Doesn't Dean Park flood quite often? We moved back down to this area in 1999 and I remember during one of the storms Charley or Wilma or maybe just a really bad rainy pattern during the summer that Dean Park was on the news because of all the flooding.

If I won the lottery the first I would do is buy a house between McGregor and the river, preferably an older home that has been redone but kept the old world charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area