Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:14 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Why do you always bring race into this these threads? It's not about race..it's about a culture of people (low income, bad credit, criminal histories, bad choices, lack of education, lack of ambition, greed etc) that make these areas bad. It had nothing to do with race.

Look at Scumcoast.....how many black people do you think live in that area? Not many...it's a poor white neighborhood full of crime and drugs. It's the North Fort Myers version of a 'ghetto'

This is not about race...dont' make it about race...that's part of the problem.

Agents in this are do steer clients towards areas they 'feel' the client would be more 'comfortable'.

Ok then, let me pose this question to you. Name ONE good predominately black area anywhere in the country.......just one.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 PM

77 posts, read 103,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ok then, let me pose this question to you. Name ONE good predominately black area anywhere in the country.......just one.

Don

Savannah, Georgia is majority black, and an absolutely beautiful, friendly city.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:00 AM

544 posts, read 1,439,772 times
All I know is when I move back, it will be Estero or Bonita Springs. Naples is nice but they think everyone that lives there is John Boehner and they price everything accordingly. Gas alone is 20 - 30 cents higher.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:44 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don

Well considering it would be near impossible for anyone to know all the predominately black areas in this country, we'll just have to focus on the county level. The ghetto/hoods are made of all skin colors..not just black. They might be the majority, but they're not the only ones there.

My point is this...by pointing your finger at one race, in a lump, isn't doing any good for the issues this county is dealing with. Lee County is full of racists, that much is evident here, and when you judge someone based on skin color alone...you're part of the problem...not the solution.

There are families and older folks that live these areas that are not involved in crime or illegal activity, but sadly, they are few and far between. They wouldn't feel comfortable living in a predominately white community in Lee County. Up north? Maybe. Here? Hell no.

So, to answer your question, I can't name one.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:04 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
There are families and older folks that live these areas that are not involved in crime or illegal activity, but sadly, they are few and far between. They wouldn't feel comfortable living in a predominately white community in Lee County.
The only reason a minority would not feel comfortable living ins a white community in Lee county would be because they are afraid of racist and prejudiced neighbors. No one wants to live where they are made to feel unwelcome or where the fear of white flight takes over.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:25 AM

279 posts, read 592,171 times
I'm bumping this thread to the top. I'm in the same spot as the OP.

I have a possible job opportunity. I'm trying to find an area with decent schools for the kids so I can decide if this is a realistic venture for our family. I typically try to find the area with good schools, then price homes in that area to see if it is affordable for us and if we can get the home and lifestyle we want.

So my question is where are the best schools? We currently live in DEEP SOUTH TEXAS and have to send our kids to private schools in order for them to get the education we want for them. We'd prefer a public school in order to afford my house upon a move. Also what are rates for wind, flooding, and hurricane insurance like for homes in FL? We live semi-coastal but where we live is nothing like FL rates.

I'm looking for any help, direction and guidance possible.

I don't know where the office is in Ft. Myers but generally speaking I'd like tone 30-45 minutes away from work definitely not more than 50 miles.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:31 PM

195 posts, read 272,097 times
To learn about the crime rate for a particular neighborhood you can go to the Lee County Sheriffs web siteLee County Sheriff's Office | Lee County, Florida | Home
this will be the best way to find out.
If you listen to other people you will get their opinion. What is acceptable for one person is not acceptable for another.
You can not ask a Real Estate agent as they are prohibited by Law to tell you one area is bad or one area is good.
To find out about schools go to the Lee County Schools website and find how the schools have been graded by the State
Lee County School District
also here is a link to a report on the schoolsLee County School District | Florida | Best High Schools | US News

Old 03-26-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cape Coral View Post
To learn about the crime rate for a particular neighborhood you can go to the Lee County Sheriffs web siteLee County Sheriff's Office | Lee County, Florida | Home
this will be the best way to find out.
If you listen to other people you will get their opinion. What is acceptable for one person is not acceptable for another.
You can not ask a Real Estate agent as they are prohibited by Law to tell you one area is bad or one area is good.
To find out about schools go to the Lee County Schools website and find how the schools have been graded by the State
Lee County School District
also here is a link to a report on the schoolsLee County School District | Florida | Best High Schools | US News
I appreciate the links; however, they are not very helpful. The Lee County SO website map isn't very intuitive nor is the school district webpage. Plus, as a government employee I see first how any department or agency can screw things to their favor. The second one is slightly more helpful but being from the outside and not knowing the area at all, I might see that X high school is rated the highest but I have no idea what part of the county that high school serves and the county schools page isn't very user friendly.

So let me ask this. Where within 30 minutes drive of Ft. Myers will find a neighborhood with nice houses in the $250-350k range? Hopeful a non Real-estate agent on here can answer or provide a little direction.

COMPLETELY OFF THE TOPIC:
I read the argument on here between multiple Realestate agents. I find it difficult to believe that stating XYZ high school serves these areas and was rated highest of all high schools in the county by the state of Florida. What is the difference between telling a client that (or some random person on the internet) and sharing the link which would take an educated person days to read through and figure out. That is the whole point in the Realestate agent. To provide information on the area(s) they serve when people locate/relocate to areas. Otherwise, people could sell their homes themselves. As it stands thousands of people do that every year without a Realestate agent being involved. It seems realtors in Florida are letting the legislature regulate them out of a job. Here I thought Florida was a no-nonsense state, like Texas, guess I was wrong.

Last edited by HPY1; 03-26-2016 at 08:30 PM..

Old 03-26-2016, 08:16 PM

What is the town of LaBelle like?

Old 03-26-2016, 11:06 PM

179 posts, read 347,565 times
Mr. Cape Coral wrote:
<..."You can not ask a Real Estate agent as they are prohibited by Law to tell you one area is bad or one area is good.".....>>

I discussed this issue in another topic, and I have copied it below. As far as I know, Fair Housing Laws have not changed in the past month or so, and criminals are still NOT a protected class. Here is what I said several weeks back:

From several weeks ago:

..... I respectfully disagree with the opinion that Realtors are not allowed to deter you based on crime areas. It is true that they can't deter you in regard to "protected classes" under the Fair Housing Act. Those classes include Race, Color, Religion, Sex, National Origin, Disability, and Familial Status ("Familial Status" refers to whether you're married/single/kids/no kids, etc.). The Fair Housing Act does NOT include Criminals/Crime. Criminals are not a protected class, so Realtors are certainly allowed to help people with housing choices with regard to crime (or lack of crime). I realize that some overly cautious real estate schools and brokerages teach their agents not to discuss crime, but this seems to be a bit too much CYA. However, the actual law is on their side, and they can discuss crime, as that is NOT a protected class. Heck, even Realtor.com, which is the website of the National Association of Realtors, just came out with an article discussing crime rates of cities and towns. You can be sure that the NAR has a bunch of lawyers on staff, and if their lawyers thought they shouldn't be discussing crime rates, they certainly wouldn't be, as those lawyers know the real estate laws. But, here they are doing just that ... discussing crime rates ... in a recent article. These 'Safest Cities' Have Bragging Rights | Realtor Magazine

It's time for real estate brokerages to stop telling their agents that they can't discuss crime rates. That is purely a myth. It is a very common myth that is spread by probably half of the brokerages and agents out there. I am not singling out you jnpittman9, as I realize this notion of "Realtors can't discuss crime" has been taught to at least half the agents out there, and this policy has been ingrained into many Realtors for many years, often at the behest of the brokerage they work under.

As I said in regard to the discussion several weeks ago, this is not meant to single out any particular Realtor. Many real estate schools and brokerage tell their students and agents to not discuss crime rates. I think it's CYA, but reasonable people can disagree on this topic. From what I have seen over the past few months here, Mr Cape Coral has provided some of the most helpful advice on this site, and I would not hesitate to have him as a Realtor, despite the fact we disagree on this one topic.

Best luck everyone.

Last edited by Living the Florida Dream; 03-26-2016 at 11:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area