Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 08:01 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,638,175 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the South and lived in that region all my life. It has always been understood by me and everyone I know that outright bragging about now much money you have, how expensive your car was, how exclusive your life is, etc. was crude, rude and bad mannered.

Since we moved to SW Florida, I have met more than a few people who brag like that. My neighbor from Baltimore brags shamelessly, describing now hard something was to find, how it's the most expensive one offered, etc, he shops at only the finest stores, eats only in fine restaurants, had a huge shark tooth dipped in 24 k gold to wear around his neck "because 14 k is just cheap looking". You get the picture.

Yesterday I was at Home Depot In Naples and happened to be near a guy who was shopping for outdoor Christmas decorations. He wanted to buy 15 sets of some item, and actually said "I have a very big, extravagant home which is lushly landscaped and I want to put out enough to be sure it makes a statement worthy of the home behind it". WTF. The employee who was patiently assisting this guy said oh, that's nice, and that was enough to send the guy into a long description of his lush lifestyle. He said he opened a spa business simply because his wife wanted to go to the spa every day. The employee said, hey, maybe you could branch out and have several locations, like in Punta Gorda and Venice". The guy actually said "no, the demographics in those areas are just not suitable for my business. I am accustomed to doing business with only people of the finest calibre, and those kinds of people are not in those locations." Uh, yeah, but you're still shopping for your own Christmas decorations at Home Depot. Is the butler going to put them out in the yard when you get home?

So, after all that...is shameless bragging like that actually socially acceptable up north? In the South, it is just not done, at least by people who don't want to be considered to be jerks.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:53 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
If I had a neighbor who liked to boast about things all I would say to them is hi and bye and when he tried to engage me in a conversation I would tell them I"m not interested or change the subject.

Don't think it's a north or south thing, it's a person thing.

To me a person who needs to brag has low self esteem and has to try to pump themselves up by making people think they are better than they are.

24K dipped shark tooth is the definition of Guido tacky, For every blowhard there is just the opposite. I remember the story of a radio host saying that his father only buys white cars because he doesn't want people to notice when he buys a new car.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:17 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,638,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
If I had a neighbor who liked to boast about things all I would say to them is hi and bye and when he tried to engage me in a conversation I would tell them I"m not interested or change the subject.

To me a person who needs to brag has low self esteem and has to try to pump themselves up by making people think they are better than they are.

24K dipped shark tooth is the definition of Guido tacky, For every blowhard there is just the opposite. I remember the story of a radio host saying that his father only buys white cars because he doesn't want people to notice when he buys a new car.
I had to look up Guido, but yes, that's my neighbor exactly. He is over 70, but only wears tshirts that he has cut the arms off of, cut off the collar and made a slit at the top of the neck so his gold shark tooth necklace is perfectly framed. He's very tanned and drives a sporty but old Mercedes convertible. Owned a pawn shop up north.

I've just never encountered so many blowhards in one place before. I will try to seek out more of the nice folks who don't need to brag.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:35 AM

708 posts, read 721,638 times
I live up north in the Midwest and I don't see that here. I think that is more of east coast new money (or very little money and like to act like it), but saying that you are going to find those type of people every where. Probably unfair to pick on East Coast although I seen more of it there.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:59 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
I grew up in the South and lived in that region all my life. It has always been understood by me and everyone I know that outright bragging about now much money you have, how expensive your car was, how exclusive your life is, etc. was crude, rude and bad mannered.

Since we moved to SW Florida, I have met more than a few people who brag like that. My neighbor from Baltimore brags shamelessly, describing now hard something was to find, how it's the most expensive one offered, etc, he shops at only the finest stores, eats only in fine restaurants, had a huge shark tooth dipped in 24 k gold to wear around his neck "because 14 k is just cheap looking". You get the picture.

Yesterday I was at Home Depot In Naples and happened to be near a guy who was shopping for outdoor Christmas decorations. He wanted to buy 15 sets of some item, and actually said "I have a very big, extravagant home which is lushly landscaped and I want to put out enough to be sure it makes a statement worthy of the home behind it". WTF. The employee who was patiently assisting this guy said oh, that's nice, and that was enough to send the guy into a long description of his lush lifestyle. He said he opened a spa business simply because his wife wanted to go to the spa every day. The employee said, hey, maybe you could branch out and have several locations, like in Punta Gorda and Venice". The guy actually said "no, the demographics in those areas are just not suitable for my business. I am accustomed to doing business with only people of the finest calibre, and those kinds of people are not in those locations." Uh, yeah, but you're still shopping for your own Christmas decorations at Home Depot. Is the butler going to put them out in the yard when you get home?

So, after all that...is shameless bragging like that actually socially acceptable up north? In the South, it is just not done, at least by people who don't want to be considered to be jerks.
IMO, just goes to show the truth behind the old saying, "money don't buy class."

The guy you talked about in your post is very welcome to stay in Naples. And no, not everyone who has money in this neck of the woods feels any compulsion to brag about it, or show it off.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:12 AM

173 posts, read 220,270 times
Quote:

No it is not acceptable up North you are just having the great luck of running into Jerks that are in love with themselves no matter where they come from

Old 11-18-2015, 04:14 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:

that is weird, especially from someone living in Southwest FL. like who cares. its Southwest FL lol!

Old 11-18-2015, 04:15 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post

I was thinking the same exact thing! From NJ perhaps. Ick.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:55 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
He's insecure.
Anyone who has to brag about their person and properties; is insecure.

Know that and while you listen to the person speak..money or no money, even if you are in less of a financial situation, you can just accomodate them, as it is your job (speaking of Home Depot worker)

I would never let that crawl under my skin. I'd feel bad for the 'rich' guy, as he has no ideal what riches truly are.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:13 PM

36 posts, read 48,903 times
I often watch the Bravo series of "Housewives" & my husband asks how I can watch those pompous people & I say, " Money hasn't bought them any class & on top of that...this show shows how truly miserable they are with themselves, spouses, children, etc....." so I'm humbly happy with our lives together! As long as I have the love of my husband & children, we can work our butts off & I ~have it all~ in my eyes & heart......our bank may not think we can be happy= but we ARE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area