Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:47 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times

Advertisements

In 2015 passengers numbered 8,371,801. The airport is the second busiest single-runway airport in the United States after San Diego International Airport

The airport sits on 14,000 acres of land just southeast of Fort Myers, making it the third-largest airport in the United States in terms of land size (after Denver and Dallas/Fort Worth).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 12:55 PM

390 posts, read 635,747 times
I didn't know either of those. Thanks for sharing. Is there a discussion about this you're hoping to prompt, or were you just putting it here in case we didn't know and might be interested?

Old 03-25-2016, 05:28 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSnow4me View Post
I didn't know either of those. Thanks for sharing. Is there a discussion about this you're hoping to prompt, or were you just putting it here in case we didn't know and might be interested?
I just thought it was cool info. Especially for an airport that most of America never heard of. Most people know Miami, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale airports but not many know RSW.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:10 AM

249 posts, read 321,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
In 2015 passengers numbered 8,371,801. The airport is the second busiest single-runway airport in the United States after San Diego International Airport

The airport sits on 14,000 acres of land just southeast of Fort Myers, making it the third-largest airport in the United States in terms of land size (after Denver and Dallas/Fort Worth).
Very cool facts. Thanks!

Old 03-26-2016, 10:17 AM

297 posts, read 509,868 times
We like it small, so easy to get in and out of.....but with all that land available and the growth and Naples not having a big airport.....well you see where this is going. Probably wont be small for ever although nothing really does stay that way. I guess its called progress.
When folks visit and fly in they are blown away by the simplicity of the airport.
Thanks for posting.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:58 PM

331 posts, read 453,547 times
Great info. I just love facts. And yes, when they relocate another million people into SWFl, this airport will definitely expand. Hope those planes aren't goin be flyin over my casa!!!

Old 03-26-2016, 02:43 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,365,484 times
They really do need to add a parallel runway to the one there now.Trying to weave takeoffs and landings onto a single runway can only safely handle so much traffic and there is little margin for error. It can lead to additional touch-and-go or aborted landings (though not dangerous at all, can be unnerving to those who are not frequent flyers - I had one at RSW the other day).

I have flown many millions of miles in my career and have Concierge Key status on American. I have flown into and out of more airports than I can count - domestic and international. RSW is one of the very best run airports anywhere. In the terminal and outside as well. It is a breeze getting in and out, especially with the new feeder connecting directly to I 75. And since our house is in Gateway, we can use the back entrance and go door to door in about 15 minutes. Hard to beat that.

My only complaint is that TSA sometimes loses control of security lines by not having enough agents on duty to operate all of the available stations - especially to operate the pre-check station (after getting some bad press they keep the line open now rather than closing it but funnel everyone through a modified regular screening. I guess all they wanted to be able to do is tell the press that the pre-check line is always open now, even though regular pre-check screening is not.). But that (TSA staffing levels) has become a problem pretty much everywhere in the US at airports that are not using a private company for security screening. Even big airports where private screeners are used, like San Francisco, do not seem to have the kind of long delays at security you see at other airports, unless something unusual happens.

Maybe something that RSW should explore.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:49 PM

390 posts, read 635,747 times
I do love flying in and out of there. Having had to cope with Denver's Stapleton and then DIA for so long, the simplicity of RSW is really a big deal to me. I'll spend twice as much time traveling with a connection to fly out of there if the alternative is to go over to Ft. Lauderdale for a direct flight. I truly hate that airport, more than O'hare, believe it or not, but not quite as much as JFK, haha. Hopefully as this region grows, we'll get a lot more direct flights to other cities.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:31 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
RSW needs to add more international flights. Right now anyone going to the Caribbean has to drive to FFL or MIA. American Airlines used to have a flight from RSW to MIA but they stopped that years ago.

I fly to the Caribbean every 6-8 weeks and while the drive to FFL isn't bad it's still a 2 hour drive compared to a 20 min drive. Dont' know why they stopped the flights..they were always full; in fact, stand by was common on those flights.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:31 PM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Interesting all though to fly to the North East fare is usually cheaper from Ft Laud or Palm Beach many times worth the 2 hour drive.
Someone who has lived here for a long time said RSW has one of the highest landing fees and hence the higher fares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area