Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 05:19 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,965,807 times

Advertisements

It's reason like this I cringe when I hear families wanting to move to the ft. Myers/Cape Coral area. I hardly think these crimes are in "isolated spots" anymore. Word is a child was killed in this one and confirmed victim on a bike shot in the head at a light . This is a daily occurrence in Ft. Myers and Cape Coral and anyone who says differently is in denial. This is why families IMO really need to consider their priorities when they want to move north of Estero.

Multiple shootings reported in Cape Coral - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 07:11 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,825,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
It's reason like this I cringe when I hear families wanting to move to the ft. Myers/Cape Coral area. I hardly think these crimes are in "isolated spots" anymore. Word is a child was killed in this one and confirmed victim on a bike shot in the head at a light . This is a daily occurrence in Ft. Myers and Cape Coral and anyone who says differently is in denial. This is why families IMO really need to consider their priorities when they want to move north of Estero.

Multiple shootings reported in Cape Coral - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
Really, north of Estero? That is a pretty large area and many very nice safe neighbors. Don't classify all of the west coast of Florida in with the Cape/ Ft Myers.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:24 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,336,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post

With all the violence I read about in Golden Gate why would anyone want to live in Naples?
Woman shot outside Golden Gate Estates home | WINK NEWS

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/crime...353039231.html

Old 06-05-2016, 10:07 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,822 times
You can't pin crime down to any particular spot in sw Florida any more. Yeah, there are some hot spots, like Dunbar or Lehigh, but every area has various crimes being committed every day, even the "nice" areas.

You could walk for hours late at night in Cape Coral not that many years ago, but I would not do it now. A lot of folks from the Miami area have moved in and the complexion of the Cape has changed dramatically, and not for the better. What was once a family oriented bedroom community has become something else entirely. Same with areas of Ft Myers, Bonita, and, yes, even ritzy little Naples.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:59 AM

54 posts, read 67,755 times
Where is crime not increasing? Drugs pour into our country with a wink and a nod by that scum bag President. I think the government is trying to hide the rampant increase in drug use and overdose deaths. Drugs and crime you cant have one without the other.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
With all the violence I read about in Golden Gate why would anyone want to live in Naples?
Woman shot outside Golden Gate Estates home | WINK NEWS

CCSO investigating homicide of man found in Golden Gate Estates
Lee has a murder a day or every few days . Compared to Naples where it's a few months and doesn't usually end up in a murder. You can twist it any way you want but Lee County on an whole is significantly more dangerous and crime ridden than Collier. They had talked about bringing in federal help to get the crime under control. That right there is a sign. Lee county had made national news at least 3 times in the past two weeks for a sex scandal, a kidnapping and now this. That is not screaming family friendly at all.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:48 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
When you consider our population and compare it to the crime stats Fort Myers is a safe town. Now if you go down to Harlem Heights, Pine Manor, Suncoast Estates or the Dunbar area all bets are off. I have lived here on and off since 1960 and have never been the victim of a crime. You make it sound like we need to stay in our houses with guns drawn to live here.

That being said I would never live in Lehigh or Cape Coral anymore either. Anywhere in a county where you have cheaper housing you are going to have some criminal element.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
When you consider our population and compare it to the crime stats Fort Myers is a safe town. Now if you go down to Harlem Heights, Pine Manor, Suncoast Estates or the Dunbar area all bets are off. I have lived here on and off since 1960 and have never been the victim of a crime. You make it sound like we need to stay in our houses with guns drawn to live here.

That being said I would never live in Lehigh or Cape Coral anymore either. Anywhere in a county where you have cheaper housing you are going to have some criminal element.
Ft. Myers has made the list for one of the most dangerous towns in America several
Times. I'm saying if you don't HAVE to move there why would you? There are better options for families . You are correct, if it's affordable in SWFL you don't want to live there

Old 06-06-2016, 11:36 AM

331 posts, read 453,374 times
A shooting that happened 6 months ago a an a body dumped off in GGE 7 months ago doesn't make a crime spree. Mischief in Lee County is daily I'm sorry to say. My decision to live in Collier and GGE was by far a smarter move than buying in Cape Coral. Crime being only one reason.

Small lots, hook ups to sewer and water lines, and now I understand the switch to underground service made the cost of buying undeterminable.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:06 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,094,009 times
Cape Coral is the largest population city south of Tampa. One murder anywhere is too many. but keep things in perspective. Cape Coral with a population of around 170,000 is expected just like any other city in the country to have some homicides. The fact is that it averages about 3-4 homicides per year over the last decade. This is an extremely low number as a percent of it's population. That is why cities are compared on a per capita basis. For violent crimes cape coral has a crime index much lower than the national average. The police haven't come out with the details on this most recent crime but on the surface it would appear that this is a much different incident to the regular homicides of Cape Coral. Usually the murders are domestic or drug related, this one seems to be more random. I anxiously await the outcome of the investigation for motive to see if this was a mental illness, terrorist, road rage, gang related, or was it domestic such as an ex husband. Seems strange that suspect stayed in the area after the first murder. deepest sympathy to any who knew or were related to the fallen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area