Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:54 PM

34 posts, read 181,694 times

Advertisements

I am 26 years old, married and a mother of two. My family, including parents and in laws are moving to Florida next month. I am currently in college after a 6 year+ carrer as a real estate appraiser. I am working on my degree in nursing. I am transfering to Edison College and I will be finished in about 1 year. My husband has many talents, so I'm not to worried about a job for him.

All that being said, I am trying to decide between Fort Myers and Cape Coral. Truthfully, after reading so many awful post on this site, I'm getting nervous. I'm coming from Richmond, Virginia. It's ok here. High crime and not too much to do. Plus, I hate the cold. I am originally from California and miss the beach terribly. Anyhow, any decent advise would be greatly appreciated. I have some friends in Fort Myers who love it. They say The Cape is nice too, but a little redneck. I find that odd, since I am in Virginia (home of the redneck).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 AM

172 posts, read 945,918 times
I'd suggest Cape Coral, SE or SW to be specific. You can pop over the Cape Coral Bridge and be at Edison in 10 minutes or so. Good luck finishing school! I always hear good things about Edison's nursing program.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:40 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
Id go Cape coral, its a bit smaller and not quite so congested. Ft Myers is a bigger snowbird destination and spring break haven. Cape Coral is more family oriented..

Old 03-19-2008, 02:41 PM

282 posts, read 1,009,102 times
We chose Cape Coral over Ft. Myers because we thought it was alot safer. We are very happy with our decision.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:57 AM

Angelala, how long have you lived there and where did you move there from? Also, what is the situation with the water/sewer? I heard they charge you areound $18,000 to connect to public utilities.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:19 AM

If you find a home that already has established water and sewer, you'll be fine. The utilities expansion project is in the NE and NW sections of Cape Coral. Are your kids in school yet?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 AM

282 posts, read 1,009,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyheart View Post
Angelala, how long have you lived there and where did you move there from? Also, what is the situation with the water/sewer? I heard they charge you areound $18,000 to connect to public utilities.
It is our second home and we bought it last year. All assessments were paid so we didn't have to worry about that. I made sure of that before we bought.
I really like that nothing is really that far away. We are close to shopping, restaurants and only 20 minutes from the beaches. Theres even a waterpark,(Sunsplash Waterpark) but I haven't been there yet.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:48 PM

I have a son that will be in 2nd grade next year. I am looking into Fort Myers Christian School or Evangelical Christian School. My other son is only 1 so I'm not concerned about school for him yet. How long have you all lived in The Cape?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:31 PM

44 posts, read 258,380 times
cape coral seems so lifeless in terms of lush greenery and landscaping. Fort Myers feels more tropical imho

Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 PM

I have a couple of friends that went to ECS and they have no complaints. Fort Myers does have most landscaping because it's been established longer. Cape Coral tries but definitely needs more work.

BTW, I wouldn't consider Cape Coral redneck. Large parts of North Fort Myers and Riverdale, yes, Cape Coral, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area