Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 08:59 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,093,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The amendment was NOT passed.To pass this amendment it needed 60% of the votes to pass. It got just over 58% This means no property tax cut. Government will grow bigger and our tax burden will keep growing. Those who are on Section 8, free housing wants those tax dollars to fund their needs. The working poor homeowner got the biggest hit by not passing the 25,000 homestead Exemption and the retired people who are on fixed incomes.

Personally I can afford it, but I know others who need a tax break.
Gov't make budgets then decides how to pay. Cape Coral is a great example …. if you limit an income stream such as property tax it does not mean they don't spend the money it just means they charge it some other way such as ad valorem fees, attaching fees to electric bills, or increasing the sales tax by 1/2 percent. Homestead exemptions should be wiped out completely except for elderly that prove they can't afford it and a veteran exception. This will make the tax burden fair and equitable. Taxes are needed but they shouldn't be burdened by select groups
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 02:59 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Gov't make budgets then decides how to pay. Cape Coral is a great example …. if you limit an income stream such as property tax it does not mean they don't spend the money it just means they charge it some other way such as ad valorem fees, attaching fees to electric bills, or increasing the sales tax by 1/2 percent. Homestead exemptions should be wiped out completely except for elderly that prove they can't afford it and a veteran exception. This will make the tax burden fair and equitable. Taxes are needed but they shouldn't be burdened by select groups
During the town turn when Lee was full of foreclosures when taxes dropped, the people at the tax office were saying the money flow was still very good because the taxes are always paid because someone pays the taxes to get interest on a tax certificate. Lee county has no problem with taxes..

They already attached taxes to LCEC bill for fire..Plus they tax us a second time for empty lots.. What will burn , Grass? The tax base is healthy now because the building permits are up. New businesses on Pine Island and many more condos being built.

The cape will have a land grab when people default on their lots when the water goes through as they did years ago in the SE. They make big money .

Old 11-09-2018, 11:23 AM

19 posts, read 35,558 times
Quote:

But the tax burden isnt fair as it is. And they ARE burdened by a select group. New home owners. Let me explain...

I bought my house in 2016. The previous year, and just about every year before that, the previous owner who built the house in 1996 paid roughly $2,000 a year in property tax.

My first tax bill in 2017 was $5,100. Imagine the surprise on my face when I saw that.. I did not know, and no one mentioned to me that homes are re-assessed when sold to a new homeowner. So all of the people in Cape Coral that have been in their homes for 15+ years pay squat for taxes compared to the people that bought houses in the last 15 years.

Example....

My house this year assessed at $272,000 and my tax bill is $5,210 AFTER the 50k homestead.

My aunt who has been in her house since 1987 and lives in a nicer area off pelican, her house assessed at a mere $88,000... But the Market value on her home is $250k +/-. Her tax bill this year is $998.

Why am I paying 5x the tax for my property then she is hers when there is only a $22k real value difference?

New home owners are getting screwed here. We are footing a LARGE part of the tax bill. All taxes should be divided equally.

I went to the property appraisers office to talk to them about it and was told point blank "well, in 20 years youll be getting the tax break as the next round of homeowners foots the bill"...

That was her word for word response. What a joke. Time to sell and get the hell out of here..

Old 11-09-2018, 12:26 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTAdam View Post
What a joke. Time to sell and get the hell out of here..
Sorry, your whole complaint is a joke.

Everyone knows that you don't 'inherit' the previous owner's tax bill.

We have the SOH (Save Our Homes) cap on property taxes so people living in areas that are booming don't get huge tax increases. Its actually A REALLY GOOD THING for people, especially those who's income hasn't gone up along with the rest of the area (see: Miami Beach 1990s vs now).

Quote:
So all of the people in Cape Coral that have been in their homes for 15+ years pay squat for taxes compared to the people that bought houses in the last 15 years.

This has nothing to do with Cape Coral.
This is not a secret or some scheme to screw new home owners. You buy a house, you pay the assessed value of that home. Otherwise people would be out buying houses from long time homeowners because their taxes are so low. What sense does that make?

By all means, sell the home. That's great for the local economy..just make sure you leave FL altogether or you'll be doing the same thing all over again.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:39 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,093,244 times
Yes it is save our homes and not homestead... but like EMT said by passing a law to limit one groups taxes you are making another group subsidize the tax burden... I don't like any property tax laws that are not equally sharing the tax burden. If I own a 2010 built home at 2000 sq ft with a pool it should be assessed at full market value and the tax bill should be the same as anyone else who owns a like property. any other way is unfair. I pay $17500 in florida property taxes. Some of them where purchase over a decade ago, one is homesteaded. instead of caps or homesteads I would rather just have it.…… roads need to be maintained, police need to get paid, fire depts., teachers, garbage removal, government offices, parks, this is what it cost / millage rate needs to be divided by the total amount of market value of all properties. nice and fair, no subsidies.

but it's hard for people to do what's right. Most are only concerned about doing what's right for them.

I lived in Indiana. they voted in a homestead exemption. they capped rates at 1% of a homes value. towns could no longer fund schools. towns now have a local income tax.... which seems to increase all the time. The gov't has to pay it's bills. be more active in the budget hearings.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Sorry, your whole complaint is a joke.

Everyone knows that you don't 'inherit' the previous owner's tax bill.

We have the SOH (Save Our Homes) cap on property taxes so people living in areas that are booming don't get huge tax increases. Its actually A REALLY GOOD THING for people, especially those who's income hasn't gone up along with the rest of the area (see: Miami Beach 1990s vs now).

This has nothing to do with Cape Coral.
This is not a secret or some scheme to screw new home owners. You buy a house, you pay the assessed value of that home. Otherwise people would be out buying houses from long time homeowners because their taxes are so low. What sense does that make?

By all means, sell the home. That's great for the local economy..just make sure you leave FL altogether or you'll be doing the same thing all over again.
Apparently NOT everyone knows the taxes dont stay the same. Myself a first time home buyer, as well as a close friend, who was also a first time home buyer around the time I bought, were never told this. In my case, I believe the realtor knew that I would balk at the high taxes coming my way and not buy the house, so he chose not to say anything about it. I cant speak for what happened with my friend, but he and his wife had no idea about the tax changing either. Its not something that us younger then 40 sit around and talk about since we have absolutely nothing else to do with our lives.

Your argument over this being a REALLY good thing, only applies to those that have had their homes for a long time and enjoy the benefits of not paying their fair share of the taxes.Namely, those over 50 that have been here a while. What sense does it make for a homeowner to be paying taxes on 30 year old values, when every single public service, and everything else tax money is used to pay for has increased substantially over the same time period? I bet you think you should be paying 89 cents for a gallon of gas unlike the rest of us paying $3, right? The ONLY people that think this is a good thing are the ones that are paying next to nothing in taxes because of it.

Also, No one is forcing anyone to sell their homes per your "people would be out buying houses from longtime homeowners because their taxes are so low" Who would force the people to sell? If they sold, it would be because the price was right.

I grew up here. I didnt just decide to move to florida and buy/sell to make profit. I have been here nearly 30 years. Im not a "flipper" from up north trying to make a buck. Im a first responder that can barely afford to pay property taxes in a median level home.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Yes it is save our homes and not homestead... but like EMT said by passing a law to limit one groups taxes you are making another group subsidize the tax burden... I don't like any property tax laws that are not equally sharing the tax burden. If I own a 2010 built home at 2000 sq ft with a pool it should be assessed at full market value and the tax bill should be the same as anyone else who owns a like property. any other way is unfair. I pay $17500 in florida property taxes. Some of them where purchase over a decade ago, one is homesteaded. instead of caps or homesteads I would rather just have it.…… roads need to be maintained, police need to get paid, fire depts., teachers, garbage removal, government offices, parks, this is what it cost / millage rate needs to be divided by the total amount of market value of all properties. nice and fair, no subsidies.

but it's hard for people to do what's right. Most are only concerned about doing what's right for them.

I lived in Indiana. they voted in a homestead exemption. they capped rates at 1% of a homes value. towns could no longer fund schools. towns now have a local income tax.... which seems to increase all the time. The gov't has to pay it's bills. be more active in the budget hearings.
Agreed 100%. Everyone should pay their fair share. We all live here and enjoy the comforts of police/fire/ems/schools/etc..etc... Why should homeowner A pay more than homeowner B when both live in the same town and both have the same valued home? Makes zero sense.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:10 PM

191 posts, read 299,779 times
Quote:
..... Its not something that us younger then 40 sit around and talk about since we have absolutely nothing else to do with our lives.
Did you just arbitrarily decide on the age of 40 ? So when you hit 41 you will sit around and talk about this stuff since you will have absolutely nothing else to do with your lives ?

Old 11-09-2018, 03:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:

The property tax should quit being based upon the value of the property.

Property taxes being based upon the value of the property is the core problem with the whole system.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Agreed 100%. Everyone should pay their fair share. We all live here and enjoy the comforts of police/fire/ems/schools/etc..etc... Why should homeowner A pay more than homeowner B when both live in the same town and both have the same valued home? Makes zero sense.
Why should homeowner A pay more than homeowner B just because their home is worth more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area