Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:08 AM

34 posts, read 181,670 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Cape Coral 3 weeks ago. My husband and I have been looking at homes to buy, but are hearing conflicting information about what area is the best. Everyone says North Cape is rural, which has no appeal to us. Some others have said The southwest is the best and some say southeast. I have 2 kids and I want to be in a safe area. I heard south Fort Myers is the safest, but it's also expensive.

A friend told me that a lot of teenagers in the cape are in gangs. She also mentioned something about a girl that was raped, cut up and put in a freezer and another story about two brothers who were murdered in the cape by some other teens. They killed them with acid or something like that. I would like to block that out of my mind all together, but those stories would freak any parent out.

She lives in South Fort Myers and swears that she would never live in The Cape. It seems so nice here though, I don't know what to think. Please help!! (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 08:28 AM

35 posts, read 144,309 times
If you hang out with a bad crowd, bad things are more likely to happen to you. Most violent crime is not random.

South Cape Coral (both SE and SW) are nice. I think you'll be happy in either area.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:27 PM

39 posts, read 124,219 times
Default I think the whole place is a

risk to raising kids. They are certainly influenced by their peers and if they exist in "it" and grow up in "it" then they are quite likely to be involved in "it". yes I know alot of it is based on the "desire to get money to buy drugs" but then that puts all of us at risk. I love the Cape and personally prefer the NE section for the very reason of "less crime" as I am from a very rural quiet area and when in Fl prefer it to be that way in my surroundings also. If I was going to live there full time I would buy in Coral Lakes.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:27 AM

132 posts, read 557,102 times
All areas have some bad people. I've been here 12 years and have never felt unsafe. Cape Coral 10 years ago had about 80,000 people. 90% (OR MORE) were retired. There was literally NO crime, almost zero. Now there are about 180,000 and a much more diverse group. Naturally there is more crime than 10 years ago. Most 75 year olds do not commit crimes There are nice areas in south fort myers (and some not so nice), but I wouldn't discount Cape Coral.
I love Cape Royal. It's a gated golf course community. It's safe, beautiful, there is a shopping center across the street, two large parks and a school within about a half mile. It's Cape Coral address but it's not incorporated so you don't have city taxes or Cape utilites (or assessments).
Check it out.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:48 PM

12 posts, read 57,998 times
My husband and I just recently moved for the Cape Coral area to South Ft. Myers then left the state all together due to a job transfer. When in Cape Coral we were in NW and its considered the "up and coming" section with the new Super Target shopping areas, etc. It will eventually be what SW is. NE was where all the issues that I heard about happening. There was only one murder during the year that we lived there, but a few robberies. SE is the older, settled area of the Cape as it was the first section built. SW is considered the place to be. We loved that area as it contained everything you need in a small area and had great boat access. We were aggressively looking for a home in SW while renting in NW, before we finally found a great community in South Fort Myers called Gateway. It's a great family community just far enough away from the busy 40, but close enough to have easy access to all amenities. I recommend SW/NW Cape and South Fort Myers as my favorite areas. They are great family communities.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:39 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,979 times
Default IT REALLY doesnt matter what section.....

you live in, when it comes to protecting your kids from the "bad" element in the schools.

There's this little issue of "school choice" here. Parents can sign their kids up to go to any school in the city they want. There are no "district" barriers. ALL of the schools in the Cape (and likely the county) are dripping in drugs, gangs, and weapons. Sorry, but thats the way it is.

I have a very good friend, with two high school age children. I have known both of the kids since birth. One girl, and the oldest a boy. Great kids until reaching high school. They simply cannot help but be involved with their peers, and the pressure to fit in with the gang. The girl does well, the boy, not so much. I hear HORROR stories from both of them, on a regular basis. The most current involves the misconduct of several children of local police officers. Dare I say any more? I had better not, but these are not things you will hear about on any news program, or read in any local paper. Gangs, you bet, Drugs, believe it, Guns, oh yes. Children here are exposed to the worst there is. Is it rampant in every part of the country? Probably, I fear the worst for our culture in the coming years. But I digress.....
The point is, keep your head out of the sand, and realize that Cape Coral is truly no better than the worst you can find elsewhere. Because the area is so dependant on tourism dollars, there is a never ending PR campaign by the various and sundry "Chambers of commerce" to present only the sun shiney side of the area.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,905 times
We used to live in the Cape and moved because we were tired of all the rude people moving there and other bad elements that were moving there. My in laws still live there, but feel unsafe now. it is still an ok place to live I guess, but we are much happier in Louisiana. Southwest Cape is where we used to live and that was a decent area. It is just not famil friendly there at all, especially that we live in a very family friendly city now and love it. Good Luck there, I hope youa re happy!

Old 05-15-2008, 06:07 AM

282 posts, read 1,008,636 times
We have a house in the SE area and love it.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:08 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times
I live in Southeast Cape, and my neighborhood is quiet. I would not live in any other part but here. I am however moving back to Massachusetts in September because the area has no jobs, and a few other personal issues. The area here is fine, I feel very safe. My parents have lived off Pelican Blvd about 2 miles from me(I think Pelican Blvd is the best area PERIOD) for 9 years, and never a single problem.

I have lived in South Fort Myers too, and if you live off McGregor Ave, yes it's good, but not Harlem Heights.. And that is south Fort... Drug haven, and nasty...

Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 17,923 times
hmm, i was thinking of buying a gulf access home in se cape like se 19th or viking ctr, are these safe neighborhoods? thanx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area