Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 08:33 AM

41 posts, read 351,996 times

Advertisements

Hello, Me and my wife have narrowed down to 2 Countys in Florida.
Lee and Polk, she is a Elementary School Teacher, and I am a heavy
equipment operator and I also am a certified Corrections officer.
Lee county seems to have better pay but the real estate seems to be high.
We would love to get any info on Lee County.
Thanks in advance for your info, we are currently in Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 AM

124 posts, read 816,672 times
Hi, I live in Collier which is just south of Lee County. Lee has always been considered more affordable that Naples. Alot of folks actually live in Lee and work in Naples, higher pay in Naples and more affordable housing in Lee. You will have no problem finding jobs in either county. Collier is dying for teachers. Your best bet is to go to a real estate web site and zero in on neighborhoods in your price range and then post back on here and ask about them. For true blue affordability, start out looking in Lehigh Acres. Hope that helps!

Old 02-03-2007, 01:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,353,160 times
There is also a prison facility in Punta Gorda. I believe they pay better than Lee County. I would stay out of Lehigh Acres. It is going downhill fast.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:58 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,062,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdad4701 View Post
Hello, Me and my wife have narrowed down to 2 Countys in Florida.
Lee and Polk, she is a Elementary School Teacher, and I am a heavy
equipment operator and I also am a certified Corrections officer.
Lee county seems to have better pay but the real estate seems to be high.
We would love to get any info on Lee County.
Thanks in advance for your info, we are currently in Michigan.
If I can say:
go for couple of weeks to Florida, and check out the housing-real estate- yourself, talk with insurance agencies....basically "invest" time in your future town/city.
I just would like to mention, and other users can say if I am wrong, crime is an issue.,and has been growing. keep your eyes open on all factors related to your move.
best of luck.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 31,477 times
I think Lee County is a good choice, for work and for avordable homes. Right now you can get in Cape Coral new homes for almost the same low price than homes in Lehigh Acres. My advise, try to stay in a more devoleped area, like SW or SE Cape Coral. You might pay little (maybe 10%) more for a home but you save on driving and you win if you ever have to re-sell you home. For $220,000 you can get now a nairly new home with 1500 square feet in that area - if you know where to look. I have lived for years in SE Cape Coral and allways did feel very save. Right now real estate wend down in price due to to many investors startet building homes at the same time. That boosted the inventory of available homes faster than buyers were able to follow. I believe, once they sell out, value will go up again. Construction started to held back for now. I see much less new homes getting startet right now compare to the past 3 years.
For my personal taste - Lehigh Acres is to often in the news with stupid stuff... caused by 'not so smart' people. They really could use a private correction officer.... and a teacher afterwards...
Job Postings for all Lee County you could check daily for sample:
http://lee-county.net/localjobs/

Last edited by FrankFlorida; 02-03-2007 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-05-2007, 10:33 AM

1,247 posts, read 928,484 times
FrankFlorida has invested in Cape Coral. Take his advice with a grain of salt.

Consider drive time when you choose where you will work and live. Driving from Fort Myers to Naples is a 45 minute (out of season) to 90 minute (in season) drive, each way, every day. That is 90-180 minutes of your life lost in traffic, every single day. How much is that worth to you or your wife? I used to make that drive. I'm more fortunate than most in that I make enough money to have been able to move to Naples, 10 minutes from where I work.

Do you have children? If you do, I would reconsider moving them to Florida. The weather is great in the winter, but is it worth it? The summer heat is oppressive. The crime is high. Wages have not kept up with the cost of living. I would think long and hard about moving your children into this enviroment. South Florida is not a good place to raise a family, even if it's a great place to vacation or retire.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Would it be better to rent 1st!!

Maybe we should consider renting first, and then we could be sure that
we made the correct choice.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:15 PM

669 posts, read 3,196,111 times
Good idea. Usually when relocating, it's a good idea to rent before you buy. An area could stink beyond your wildest dreams, and rent allows you to escape pretty easily. On the other hand if you love it, you can get real estate for yourself when ready.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Help

What are homes renying for in Lee County Fort Myers- Bonita Springs?

Old 02-07-2007, 08:23 PM

Default renting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdad4701 View Post
What are homes renting for in Lee County Fort Myers- Bonita Springs?
Oops I meant renting any good sites to check out rentals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area