Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 06:19 PM

246 posts, read 1,019,163 times

Advertisements

I have children and have lived in Cape Coral for 14 years. I don't do boating, but my kids do go out with friends. We are getting quite a few resturants the last few years, as well as other stores. I for one enjoy living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 07:41 PM

172 posts, read 857,214 times
in fort myers theres nothing to do besides go shopping at big box retailers and go out to dinner at the few local restaurants and a bunch of chain ones (fridays, ruby tuesdays etc). and maybe go to the dirty,salty pool they call a beach

cape coral is like fort myers, minus the shopping,beach and local restuarants lol. (the yacht club is NOT a beach!)

and minus the jobs, which fort myers already barely has

not to mention you WILL have to commute to fort myers for everything except maybe grocery shopping. and that adds up to various hundreds of dollars in toll very very quickly(and many many hours in commute time)

unless u want to work at said grocery store, ur gona be working in fort myers, the jobs arent that much better but their there.

there is ONE bus that i know of that travels to fort myers from cape coral, it comes about every hour/hour and a half. so its very undependable. and if you are one of the daring few who wants to catch it, you would have to live by one of the few stops that it goes to.

that said, you will HAVE to own a vehicle and one thats in good condition in order to try and even survive in this area, assuming that you are from florida you probably know that already. but its extremely necessary in this area.
seeing a pedestrian in cape coral is a rarity.

if you have children, youd be doing them a huge disservice by bringing them to this area.

the schools are horrible at best.

the concept of "playing with the neighborhood kids" is a myth here. plan on driving your child to friends houses as there are no sidewalks and few if any streetlights on most residential streets

theres nothing for children here besides the sun-splash waterpark, which gets old very quickly.

no chuck-e-cheeses, no arcades or real hangouts for older kids either. which will lead to bored kids with nothing to do usually ending up hanging out in front of the movie theaters or mcdonalds causing trouble.

wouldnt recommend even visiting this area, let alone living here unless youve got money to spend and time to travel

Old 06-11-2007, 08:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Nope. You shouldn't visit. Most visitors deal with red tide, which is dead fish on the beach and continuous coughing. No fine dining. Sub-par hotels.

Cape Coral was always, from day one, a retirement community. It was sold as Florida swamp land back in the 60s. So wasn't Lehigh Acres. It was kind of a national joke. It wasn't worth much until the early to mid 2000s.

Then, maybe the few that held, so a HUGE return on their investment. I doubt many held from the 60s. I suspect that many bought in the 2000s.

So no, there is no museums in Lee County. The actual TOWN of Fort Myers, consists of nothing. Lee County is incredible sprawl, a lot of it consisting of over-55 trailer parks and ghetto and white-trash cracker-jack boxes.

There are developments that were recently built. I can hear the huge sucking sound of money lost, all the way here in Tennessee.

That is Lee County.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:21 PM

/\ on point pretty much.

the people that actually enjoy this area are either wealthy,about to die,or recently moved here and stuck in the "this is paradise" phaze. that will change in about 6 months.

everyone else is trapped by low wages/homes they cant sell and working on leaving

Old 06-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,490,118 times
Default I hated it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-50 View Post
You must have been in a different Cape Coral then me. Do you have any facts because you are sooooooo wrong.
I don't need facts because the entire neighborhood I lived in (and it was a NICE neighborhood) had all Mexicans except us and 2 other families and this was over the course of 2 years. My in-laws live around Savona and they said the retirees are moving out and the illegals moving in. There is not one time I went into Wal-mart and found and English speaking employee. I don't need facts, I just know what I saw and I bet you a lot of people would agree!My sister and brother in law hate it there now and are moving elsewhere.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:27 AM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,490,118 times
Default I agree

chromedome hit the nail on the head!!!! ape Coral USED to be nice, but now.....ickkkkkk!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:58 PM

246 posts, read 1,019,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
I don't need facts because the entire neighborhood I lived in (and it was a NICE neighborhood) had all Mexicans except us and 2 other families and this was over the course of 2 years. My in-laws live around Savona and they said the retirees are moving out and the illegals moving in. There is not one time I went into Wal-mart and found and English speaking employee. I don't need facts, I just know what I saw and I bet you a lot of people would agree!My sister and brother in law hate it there now and are moving elsewhere.
In my part of town, don't have any mexicans, a few spanish speaking people. The Walmart on DelPrado have many more english speaking people then spanish employees. Quite a few of the employees have been there for 10+ years.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:00 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times
My inlaws live in Cape Coral they have been there almost 30 years and still like it.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:04 PM

this area is getting worse by the hour it seems, jobs here are non-existant!,

anyone in the area care to offer me some employment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area