Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:20 PM

52 posts, read 139,331 times

Advertisements

If am working in Fort Myers and want a commute 30 minutes or other, what might be some neighborhoods that would be safe and nice to live in? I can afford up to about $175K, but really would like to stay under $150. I want a sturdy house, one without any major concerns (chinese drywall, sewer assessments, mold, etc). Schools don't matter as my children are grown, but I like to get out and walk, swim, bike, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:36 PM

72 posts, read 184,978 times
If you check down exit 141/Palm Beach going East there are three newer communites that might fit your needs. Now going West there is a lot of crime in that area so stay away from there. River Hall is a gorgeous community with lots of ammenities. Not sure of the house prices, but I am sure you will be able to find some foreclosures in there as they were at the height of the boom when they went up. Also the Verandah is very nice too. They might be a little higher still. Maybe a condo for that price, maybe not. There is Hawks Preserve whcih you can for sure get something for that price. Smaller commnity then the previous two. All new homes 2005 to 2006/07, no ammenities as far as a pool, but a great neighborhood to walk in. They have a lot of foreclosures and one with a pool just sold for like 130$$. Nice size homes too. We have a Publix, Wal-Green's, CVS and some places to eat within 5 miles. The colonial exit is only 10 minutes from us for Target and bigger stores. Then there is also Bayshore Blvd just one exit up that has a lot of stuff too going into the Cape area. Just my take on my little exit. Good Luck.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:14 PM

128 posts, read 648,347 times
I would recommend the Villas neighborhood it's right at College Parkway+41. Close to everything and a nice area no two homes look the same next to each other. Google earth Woodland Blvd. Fort Myers FL 33907 and take a drive down the street. Good luck in your search.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:53 AM

Thanks for the info. I am currently in NC, but going through the interview process for a job there. If I get the position, I should be coming there by July.

Question about newer homes: I have heard that those are the homes with the substandard products in them (drywall etc). As for the neighborhoods, are most of the areas mentioned fairly settled (ie not a lot of empty homes)? Any thoughts on having a backyard pool vs community pool? I LOVE to swim, but I don't want a headache.

Thanks for your help~

Old 05-08-2009, 11:42 AM

As far as the drywall issue it is certain builders that used the product. I will try to find a link to those builders and post later. I know they had them on our local news stations website in the past. I am new to this so don't really know how to post links but will try to figure it out. I do know that if you get a community with a pool then you will pay higher HOA fees for sure. My community does not have a community pool and I pay 180 per quarter in HOA fees. I have a friend with a gated, ammenities galore community and she pays more than that a month, keeping in mind you usually get your lawn care provided in some of those communities with more ammenities. But It is not very much to have a lawn service with a small yard maybe 75 to 100 a month with a contract. Interesting you coming from NC. We are hoping to move there next year. Where are you coming from?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:18 PM

I am in Jacksonville-about an hour or so north of Wilmington. Where are you moving to?

Thanks for the info. Do most neighborhoods have a HOA?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:06 PM

Well, It's almost official. I was offered the position and just waiting for the formal letter so I will be moving to FM.
I've been looking at Realtor.com for houses. Anyone know about Brookshire? The homes seem more expensive, but maybe it's because it's a nice neighborhood?

Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 12,420 times
Default Brookshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreemcatcher View Post
Well, It's almost official. I was offered the position and just waiting for the formal letter so I will be moving to FM.
I've been looking at Realtor.com for houses. Anyone know about Brookshire? The homes seem more expensive, but maybe it's because it's a nice neighborhood?
I live in Brookshire and it is a wonderful location. I have a very nice 20 year-old house with great neighbors. Two community pools, tennis and basketball courts. Clubhouse w/ racquetball courts, sauna, and nautilus equipment. Awesome for walking and bike riding. $800 yearly HOA. Pay for your own yard if in a single family. Condos have additional fees for their HOA. HOA has the typical yard narcs, old lizards who have nothing to do other than check your yard for weeds and other things they consider 'infractions.' Prices have come down :-( from a high of $300,000 in 2005. Good, reliable, established neighborhood. Not glamorous by any means. Just solid, clean, and nice. Built by US Homes in the late '80's. Many homes have been updated. Probably most by now.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:48 AM

Thanks, Kitty. I was in an HOA here in NC, but they weren't that particular. I guess I am wondering if it is really restrictive to have an HOA.

The neighborhood sounds wonderful. I love having a pool, but didn't really want to deal with the Yard pool.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:51 AM

Jacksonville. My sister-in-law just moved from there back to Camp LeJeune. We are looking more towards just north of Charlotte, between Charlotte and Winston-Salem. Brookshire sounds nice. If it is a stable older community you probably do not need to worry about the drywall situation. I did notice a thread on here about the Chinese Drywall. Might want to check that out. Most nicer/newer communities will have HOA. Mine is very restrict and people get violations for parking on the street, brown grass, etc.. You have to have approval to do anything to the outside of your house. This somewhat stinks when not everyone complies. Congratulations on your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area