Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:59 PM

5 posts, read 17,311 times

Advertisements

Hello this is my first post here:

My BF and I are considering a move to Ft. Myers. He is originally from South florida, and I, outside of Detroit. Ft. Myers, strangely, is turning into the only way we can get jobs in the same city and live together again. He lives in Arizona, and I am once again in Michigan. So I have a few questions...

-Where to live? I've been hearing a lot about this "river district." It also seems close to the job I will be doing. I want something that is in walking distance to restaurants, shops, the beach, etc. I know he likes historic downtown areas.

-Is the crime that bad? And be honest. I mean, right now, I live outside of FLINT. Do I really have ANYTHING to worry about?

-Same goes for unemployment. I hear many people talking...but I get worried living in this rust belt city that may never recover. At least there seems like a chance in Florida. Unemployment here is 27.3%. Is it that bad in Ft. Myers? I read on the CNN Money website that Lee County was one of the ""top 25 counties where jobs are." This seems like a juxtaposition from what I've read in these forums. Both my BF and I are college educated individuals working in media/communications.

-I would be taking a SERIOUS pay cut moving to Ft. Myers. Right now we are looking to rent something small. (The smaller it is, the easier it is to clean!) Together we would be making about $60k/yr. Is that enough for two people in Ft. Myers, FL? How is the cost of living? I was surprised on one website to see it was 11% less than the greater detroit area.

-How is the nightlife? Obviously there is not much to do here. And, I don't mind retirees. When the BF and I lived in Arizona, there were many there as well. I just wouldn't mind a bit of nightlife. I don't need anything crazy, but wine tasting, some bars, etc.

-Public transportation? In the "motor city" it is a joke. But is it possible to get around downtown using this tran route I am reading about? Is it a feasible option? I wouldn't mind downsizing to one car and getting a tran pass, if possible.

-Health clubs? Areas to run? We are into working out at the Gym, and I participate in long distance running and running clubs. Is that something we could still do in this area?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I feel as though many people up here complain a lot about where they are living, because the grass is always greener. I just want to truly see if it is THAT BAD, or if people are just being hyper-critical. I feel as though if I survived living 20 minutes from mexico and then in Flint, I can make it anywhere.

I honestly don't need much...a small place to sleep that is close to a few things, a beach, my love, and some running shoes, and that about does it. So is Ft. Myers for me?

Please offer advice....now! LOL
Have a great day

Old 08-08-2009, 06:54 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Well I'll give you some broad information. I live in Naples, which is about 30 minutes south of Fort Myers. I'm not that familiar with housing areas there.

First, it is good that you both have jobs. It is actually somewhat surprising that two people have found jobs here before they moved.

I think it will be tight but doable on $60/K depending on housing choices and lifestyle.

Downtown Ft. Myers is historic and has the nightlife you describe.

I doubt you will find anything within your budget within walking distance to the beach.

Where in South FL is your BF from?

Old 08-08-2009, 11:58 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I love those Money/Forbes lists. Crazy stuff. It's a running joke on the forums that the local Chambers of Commerce pay them off.

The people on here are not making this stuff up. What would be our motivation? This is information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It is the government source that announces the real, honest-to-goodness unemployment rates.

It's 13 percent in Lee County.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/metro.t01.htm

However, if you both have jobs I don't really see the concern, anyway.

Almost anything is an improvement compared to Flint, Michigan. The question you have to ask yourself is, "Where can I move to that will significantly improve my situation?"

We get a lot of people on here that say things like, "Well, Fort Myers is not like Detroit or the Bronx." Right. But I'd like to aim a LOT higher than that.

But the crime statistics in the area is not great. Still, it's not Flint, which has a crime index of 1,002. Fort Myers is 702. However, the US average is 320, so they are both not good.

Young people, generally, complain about the lack of things to do. I guess it depends. I moved there in my mid-30s and found the cultural offerings to be next to nothing. You might like other things to do, than me, though. There is SOME nightlife downtown.

I thought cost-of-living to be high. If you are looking at some index and it says it is lower in Fort Myers, then, well, it just might be.

Unless there is something new that I haven't heard of, and I doubt it because the city and county are strapped, then the bus system is terrible. It takes forever to get anywhere and the coverage is spotty and the buses don't run that often.

BUT, your boyfriend and you can move in together, for once, and if he is as excited about that prospect as you are, then this could be very good thing. Definitely worth looking into. And you're in FLINT, my gosh. Bless your heart.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:52 PM

64 posts, read 79,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I love those Money/Forbes lists. Crazy stuff. It's a running joke on the forums that the local Chambers of Commerce pay them off.

The people on here are not making this stuff up. What would be our motivation? This is information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It is the government source that announces the real, honest-to-goodness unemployment rates.

It's 13 percent in Lee County.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/metro.t01.htm

However, if you both have jobs I don't really see the concern, anyway.

Almost anything is an improvement compared to Flint, Michigan. The question you have to ask yourself is, "Where can I move to that will significantly improve my situation?"

We get a lot of people on here that say things like, "Well, Fort Myers is not like Detroit or the Bronx." Right. But I'd like to aim a LOT higher than that.

But the crime statistics in the area is not great. Still, it's not Flint, which has a crime index of 1,002. Fort Myers is 702. However, the US average is 320, so they are both not good.

Young people, generally, complain about the lack of things to do. I guess it depends. I moved there in my mid-30s and found the cultural offerings to be next to nothing. You might like other things to do, than me, though. There is SOME nightlife downtown.

I thought cost-of-living to be high. If you are looking at some index and it says it is lower in Fort Myers, then, well, it just might be.

Unless there is something new that I haven't heard of, and I doubt it because the city and county are strapped, then the bus system is terrible. It takes forever to get anywhere and the coverage is spotty and the buses don't run that often.

BUT, your boyfriend and you can move in together, for once, and if he is as excited about that prospect as you are, then this could be very good thing. Definitely worth looking into. And you're in FLINT, my gosh. Bless your heart.
Hiknapster, your posts are interesting to read. Thank you!

You are so patient to write to such posters, who instead of asking questions about the economy criticize the forum, etc.

As you see, such posters shows no interest in:

Chinese dry wall contamination of houses
falling house prices
high number of foreclosed homes
high rate of violent crime
high rate of white collar crime
high property taxes
high insurance costs
high and rising utility costs
high number of snakes, scorpions, Nile lizards
contamination of water through landfills
wasteful city councils

Many realtors, seller of houses, seller of products $ services are trying too hard to abuse this forum.

The comparison of Flint to Fort Myers only to try to boost the image of Fort Myers is just too desperate of an attempt to convince people to come to FM !

Last edited by aidaolympia; 08-08-2009 at 09:02 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 04:40 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidaolympia View Post
Hiknapster, your posts are interesting to read. Thank you!

You are so patient to write to such posters, who instead of asking questions about the economy criticize the forum, etc.

As you see, such posters shows no interest in:

Chinese dry wall contamination of houses
falling house prices
high number of foreclosed homes
high rate of violent crime
high rate of white collar crime
high property taxes
high insurance costs
high and rising utility costs
high number of snakes, scorpions, Nile lizards
contamination of water through landfills
wasteful city councils

Many realtors, seller of houses, seller of products $ services are trying too hard to abuse this forum.

The comparison of Flint to Fort Myers only to try to boost the image of Fort Myers is just too desperate of an attempt to convince people to come to FM !

You hit that right on the nose!!!! I have noticed that on here for the last couple years... They like to "shine it up" around here to make it sound like the place to be, actually it's the place to FLEE. I have been looking into a civilian HVAC job in Texas where my brother in law is going to be stationed at Dyess AFB in Abilene. If I am offered, I am going. He is already recommending me. If not there is a company who manages the base living quarters, where I may get a position in the same job I am doing right now. Abilene is a VERY low crime area. Fort Myers is NOT. I live on Metro Parkway, work here too, I see what lives in this area. I can make it 3 more months here, after that I will be leaving to anywhere else. I am 99% positive it's Abilene.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:27 PM

5 posts, read 17,311 times
Thank you all for such an interesting, open and honest discussion. Unfortunately, in my line of work...we go where the jobs are. And isn't it odd that it would take me to yuma, flint, and now possibly FM? lol

Old 08-09-2009, 06:32 PM

64 posts, read 79,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
You hit that right on the nose!!!! I have noticed that on here for the last couple years... They like to "shine it up" around here to make it sound like the place to be, actually it's the place to FLEE. I have been looking into a civilian HVAC job in Texas where my brother in law is going to be stationed at Dyess AFB in Abilene. If I am offered, I am going. He is already recommending me. If not there is a company who manages the base living quarters, where I may get a position in the same job I am doing right now. Abilene is a VERY low crime area. Fort Myers is NOT. I live on Metro Parkway, work here too, I see what lives in this area. I can make it 3 more months here, after that I will be leaving to anywhere else. I am 99% positive it's Abilene.
I will add to the list of Cape Coral woes:
The high loss of opportunity by being in a sinking economy

ChrisA70,
A new life is waiting for you.
Comparing to Florida, Texas has done very well.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:53 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecheezcubes View Post
Thank you all for such an interesting, open and honest discussion. Unfortunately, in my line of work...we go where the jobs are. And isn't it odd that it would take me to yuma, flint, and now possibly FM? lol
That's why I am here in FM again... A job. I was up in MA this last fall/winter. Found nothing for a job. I was fine and happy being up there where I am from, but a job was offered back down here a friend referred me to and I came back, ONLY for that reason. It wasn't for the weather and anything else.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 PM

515 posts, read 1,589,792 times
If you both have jobs lined up and will be around $60,000 income. You will not have any problem here. It is a renters market here, prices are down, the market is swamped with empty houses. Downtown Ft Myers is not close to the beach. It is close to the river though. Waterfront parks and marina's line the river on the edge of downtown Ft Myers. Nice historic area along the river, hence-river district. The area is flooded with high rise condo's going for cheap rent. Ft Myers Beach is the beach area. rents are not as low there but look and see...... unemployment is 12 or 13 %, foreclosures and layoff's everywhere. BUT, now would be a good time to come when things might be turning around. Get in at the bottom and ride the little wave UP!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 PM

515 posts, read 1,589,792 times
PS, if your gonna rent, make sure your landlord is paying his/her mortgage. If not you will be out looking for another place and they'll keep your deposits. It's happening everywhere here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area