Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:06 AM

46 posts, read 243,103 times

Advertisements

My new pool is being taken over by what appears to be noseeums despite being caged in. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Is it worse because we live on a small creek? We aren't being bitten by them but the pool is covered by them constantly. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 11:15 AM

917 posts, read 2,614,660 times
Probably not the answer that your looking for, but a finer screen IS available to keep them out:

What type of Screen should I use? The most common type of screen used is an 18x14 mesh size. This means there are 18x14 squares per square inch of screen. This screen is designed to keep out most insects. If you live in a area where no-see-ums (tiny bugs found near coastal marshy areas) are an issue then we recommend a 20x20 mesh screen. This screen has smaller holes keeping these insects out. If you have a problem with pine needles hanging through screen you might also consider a 20x20 mesh. This will keep the needles from getting through the screen, causing them to lay on top and the wind to blow most of them off.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:10 PM

72 posts, read 224,483 times
Is there anyway you can set up a fan outside... they are sooo small they will get blown away.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollibay View Post
My new pool is being taken over by what appears to be noseeums despite being caged in. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Is it worse because we live on a small creek? We aren't being bitten by them but the pool is covered by them constantly. HELP!
Depends where you live. When I lived on Sanibel, I couldn't even open my kitchen window without being attacked. In Bonita I ran a couple of fans if I sat on the lanai since most bugs can't navigate if there's a breeze, as helplessinfla just wrote.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:54 PM

46 posts, read 243,103 times
Thank you all for your responses. I have no idea what size screening I have...all I know it is a brand new cage (we just added the pool). GuessI willl just have to accept this as part of my new Florida lifestyle.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:29 PM

515 posts, read 1,589,956 times
get a few cans of yard guard bug fogger. try spraying it out side of your pool area and see if it does anything????????? your prolly talking $1500 minimum to rescreen your cage......

Old 08-10-2009, 06:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Probably not noseeums, because you are not being bit. Those little guys live to irritate.

Not that it matters. Who cares if they are called "Freaky-Deeky Bugs." I'm sure they are driving you crazy.

Call the place that put it in and ask them why they forgot to advise you about different screens for the pool. Tell them you are dissatisfied. Tell them they have taken advantage of a Northerner and you are going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. If you put up enough of a fit you might get a remedy.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 AM

320 posts, read 1,129,690 times
A little unrelated, but my g/f and I love to go down to Bunche Beach (near Sanibel) and walk around. These things have been CRAZY down there lately! Makes it hard to enjoy the water when you are getting bit every other minute.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:13 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
A little unrelated, but my g/f and I love to go down to Bunche Beach (near Sanibel) and walk around. These things have been CRAZY down there lately! Makes it hard to enjoy the water when you are getting bit every other minute.
Bunche Beach is famous for noseeums! It's also not a good place to swim. That's why it was called something else other than Bunche Beach for many years. Still is, by some of the prejudiced locals.

Just a little trivia.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:23 PM

917 posts, read 2,614,660 times
I remembered reading this post a while back:

04-23-2008, 05:43 AM
jeffabb

25 posts, read 21,893 times

Beaches in the Area - Favorite picks (and why)
I have been an avid beach goer since I moved to the area, but like all of us, my time is very limited (even on the blessed weekends). So, in order to expedite other people's adventures, I thought I would ask which beaches people liked and why (I know, putting something like this out there will probably change one of things that make the "locals" beaches so nice... less people!).

1.) Lover's Key - less people, no HIGH RISES, and less "trash" on the beach (I am really tired of beer bottles and worse, cigarette butts on the beach... come on people, it is not a giant ash tray even if there is sand in it. I know how hard it is to quit smoking, and I am not saying don't do it, but just take your trash with you (and butts are trash). Don't forget, Naples banned all smoking at the beach for that very reason). Note, fee on this beach (buy a state park pass if you go a lot, and can be used at over 50 other state parks)

2.) Englewood beach (the state park is better than the municipal beach). The water here is that pretty aqua marine color and the sand is powder without all the shells (they have strange black rocks however).Note, fee on this beach (buy a state park pass if you go a lot, and can be used at over 50 other state parks)

3.) Bunche beach - former black segregation beach, now actually has a congregation of gay folk if that is your bag, just come on guy and gals, don't be cruisey, some of us have kids. Really pretty and off the beaten path (less people is why I like it, but close to amenities).

4.) Sanibel - various beaches - I like the sand there, but most of all you are allowed to have alcohol on them. The causeway beaches are nice, but they are "rocky" and lack restrooms (but they are building them).

5.) Fort Myers beach - I like the proximity to all the "tackiness" that FMB has to offer as a beach town, but the down side is people are slobs and make it really really dirty. See number 1. Beer bottles and cigarette butts in the sand is not cool. I know how hard it is to quit smoking, and I am not saying don't do it, but just take your trash with you (and butts are trash). I think it is your right to do with your body what you will, but it is not your right to pollute the area b/c you are lazy. If you are going to do that, stay off the beach IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area