Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:37 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times

Advertisements

Southlake Carroll QB Garman files appeal; hearing will take place Sept. 14 | High School Sports Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

and he has been in trouble in his home state of Oklahoma for doing basically the same thing--switching districts w/o approval and playing illegally...

Carroll lost this weekend in pre-season play to Copperas Cove Ft Hood

part of the problem comes because the previous UIL alignment in the spring put Carroll in one district 6-5A--and principals in those schools gave the OK for Garmin to play for the coming year when he started practice last spring...
then UIL redistricted Carroll into different 7-5A zone and those did not agree...

anyway-- the appeal of this latest decision comes from the FAMILY--not Carroll ISD-although I guess they would take him back if they could...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 02:41 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,885,186 times
3 different HS in OK and now his 4th is in TX? in 3 years...yes something definately smells rotten here.
His 2009 season was revoked in OK.

Interesting quotes from articles....
Quote:
his transfer from Jones High School to nearby Choctaw High School last year that the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association denied.

Previously, the OSSAA had ruled the 6-foot-2, 185-pound Garman ineligible after he played eight games and threw for 2,311 yards and 24 touchdowns for Jones in the 2009 season when it determined he failed to file a hardship waiver when he transferred from Carl Albert High School before his junior season.
Quote:
Fact is Garman was a backup QB at Carl Albert his sophmore year, he would have been a backup QB at Carl Albert his junior year too (that was the year Realmuto lead the Titans to another 5-A championship). Garman jumped ship and went to play for a 2-A school Jones HS.
He's already committed to play for AZ.
He couldn't play his senior in OK so his Dad farmed him out t oTX.
The Dad still owns his OK house and has his business there and only rented a home in Southlake. It appears the Dad still lives in OK during the week and just put the OK house on the market Aug 10th after the story broke.

This interview with Carroll Athletic director is pretty telling...He did not do his job in vetting this kid and saw a chance for a Winning season. He NEVER nor did Carroll ISD ever contact OK to see about the kids eligiblity...just took the Dads word for it.
Dad seems to be a REAL charmer in Video!

Questions surround Southlake Carroll QB eligibility | Dallas - Fort Worth News | wfaa.com | Investigates

This article here is a good read... Don't know about ALL the facts etc... but interesting none the less
Spence Park Soap Box | Street agent in the middle of the football scandal at Southlake Carroll? (http://spenceparksoapbox.fantake.com/2010/08/26/street-agent-in-the-middle-of-the-football-scandal-at-southlake-carroll/ - broken link)

Sad really, the kid has alot talent and drive etc... but it seems the Parents are pretty pushy.
He will lucky if AZ keeps the offer on the Table.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:15 PM

this KID is just as much involved in the illegal aspect of trading his talents for playing time as anyone--in fact he is the MOST responsible--
if he were NOT willing to perform none of this would be happening...
I'm sorry--I don't care if his parents are both pretty pathetic--
anytime you have a player of quality and s/he get the whiff of professional contract then I think they become just as culpable as any other party involved in trying to cheat their way into the top...

His father throwing that bag of ice at the camera guy is assault and battery--if he wanted to press charges...

Southlake deserves to be suspended/slapped for contributing to this delinquency/cheating
The athletic director and whoever else at the district was supposed to be checking were totally screwed and inaccurate...
they probably gave weak evidence when the original district hearing was held...

the option the boy has is private school--and I don't know about the qualifications for them since season is already underway...

Last edited by loves2read; 08-31-2010 at 03:24 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 07:10 AM

FTW paper editorial today seems to have overlooked the info brought out by the WFAA stories--
just says that Carroll ISD/athletic dept did no wrong
apparently taking questionable info at face value is deemed sufficient to CYA
In a tangled football drama, Carroll is playing it straight | Editorials | Fort Worth, Arling... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/09/02/2442620/in-a-tangled-football-drama-carroll.html - broken link)

I just wonder whose kid goes to Southlake

And if the coaches were at the 7 on 7 drill this summer then I would not be surprised if one of the PLAYERS did not get the skinny on Garman and maybe someone parent called the TV station vs one of the coaches in HEB
after all while I doubt that Southlake has what it takes to go all the way this year with such a young, inexperienced team I guess it never hurts to get the first punch in...

Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
3 different HS in OK and now his 4th is in TX? in 3 years...yes something definately smells rotten here.
His 2009 season was revoked in OK.
Actually, this is FIVE schools now. After he got caught last fall when the school he was at won the state championship he went to Choctaw HS for a few months before coming to Southlake in Febrauary. He left Jones in November and showed up at SLC in February.

Thing is this. His penalty in Oklahoma from their governing board was he was required to sit out 6 games. The kid ALSO plays baseball and is supposed to be pretty good. He could have sat out 6 games of baseball this past spring IN Oklahoma and then he would have been eligble to play there. Then if his parents really DID move to SLC he would have been eligible to play there as well as he was not under any penalty in Oklahoma. That was not good enough for his parents. They wanted their son to be the starter from day one. That is why they kept changing schools until they found one that would start him.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
If you read the comments on the Dallas News website and WFAA there are plenty of people out there supporting him all saying that it is only because it is SLC and they have money. I'm wondering if these same supporters felt the same when Carter got caught. For some reason I highly doubt it.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:54 AM

The idea that "being special" draws mud in and of itself just shows how scued their sense of entitlement is--and where their heads really are---
this is the same attitude that rang so false with "entitlement" when the CISD cheerleader scandel was in the news several years ago...
AND this is why people point fingers at Southlake in general as elitist in all its negative connotations...

it is one thing for the district to take up for itself or for individuals to want to whitewash this issue--but when the FTW paper trys to pull a holier than thou blanket over an inquiry to determine accuracy then it just shouts--THIS IS RIGGED....

the editorial and the column that Mike Norman wrote yesterday don't provide any facts to counter the allegations in the WFAA story asserting the Garmans moved strictly for athletic purposes---
if you want to be the white knight to the rescue you should at least bring some ammunition to fight with...
asking anyone to take their story at face value--after what they did in Oklahoma especially--is just pretty naive and self-serving and certainly lacks any resemblence to "journalistic reporting" or verification

and I though the info on the post from 5stones about the "connect" in this deal--the guy working to market the kid was also interesting--
our daughter was a select fast-pitch softball player and I know there are plenty of people out there willing to take your money to "help" your son or daughter get scholarship money...it is a racket for athletes as much or more as it is for academic ones...
but none of that was mentioned in the WFAA story or the FTW paper

@MO2---Garman moved in Feb and enrolled--do you know if he played BASEBALL for Southlake in the spring--cause IF he did and he was ineligible--then any games they won would be forfeit--correct?
I tried to Google up a lineup list to see and could not get one...

Old 09-03-2010, 09:56 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,833 times
Read this article from Feb 7 2010. It states clearly that he is at Choctaw HS at that time, after leaving Jones HS where he had been declared ineligible due to a clerical error. He had been at Carl Albert HS before that for 9th and 10th grade. It also says he plans to transfer during the summer to Southlake and then has this quote
"We're going to move down to the Dallas metro area, and Carroll is the school we really like," he said. "It's the top-grossing high school program in the country. All that's going to do is prepare me for the college environment."

That is solid proof of breaking the UIL rules as "no student can transfer for athletic reasons" and play on the varsity team. Clearly stated in that quote of his intentions.

Arizona lands Oklahoma QB Daxx Garman for 2011

Regarding wfaa's investigation....they said the Southlake video was from early June and was from them investigating the QB issue. Trinity didn't come into play until the end of June when they went to a second 'event'. I think they just were in the perfect storm of sorts to get caught up.

There's an article in the Dallas Morning News about a 7 x 7 tournament that took place in College Station this summer. The guy said that exactly what was on this wfaa video would have been found in abundance there. His viewpoint was that it's not so much that a coach at a 7 x 7 actually provides any coaching that gives any advantage, but instead it's the fact that not all schools are able to have 7 x 7 teams so that gives those that do the advantage. Good point. He also states that the no coaching rule is not only not enforced, but that's it's practically impossible to enforce.

I say that what those coaches were taped saying isn't any different than what parents are yelling from the bleachers.....so I guess we're all coaches in that respect. lol

Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 AM

I think the point about that 7 on 7 is what the kids were doing--and from what I could see--the "coaching made absolutely no difference in play...
whereas in legitimate coaching senarios there would definitely be intervention and improvement...
but yes--it probably should be illegal/forbidded for any team to do it--
but the UIL is also about enhancing athletic programs and bringing prowess to TX athletics--otherwise there would not be much incentives for anyone to participate if no one gave a hoot about sports...

AND regarding that nice article from Arizona web site--

Garman, who carries a 4.2 GPA, said he will try to graduate a semester early, then enroll at the UA in January.

He is already familiar with Arizona. He took an unofficial visit for the Wildcats' game against Oregon last fall and came away impressed with the game-day atmosphere and the Zona Zoo.

Garman will return to Tucson next month to watch spring drills and figures to take an official visit sometime this fall.

He is so full of himself and arrogant--the fact that he says he wants to graduate early just means they wanted to get back to Oklahoma as quick as they can...
he is already doing somethings that might call into question his abuse of the NCAA rules as well...
this boy is no more the "innocent" party to his parents machinations than Attila was just a figurehead of the Huns organization...

and this observation ...
The OSSAA's decision ended Jones High School's season
so neatly absolves the Garmans or Jones High School officials for any of their responsiblity in pandering out their son for football glory...

I wish he could be ruled ineligible for NCAA scholarship...

Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 AM

UIL verdict is in--boy is disqualified
Carroll quarterback ruled ineligible | High Schools | DFWVarsity.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/09/14/2468846/carroll-qb-ruled-ineligible.html - broken link)

his parents should be ashamed but I am sure they are not
article in FTW paper today has quote from the dad that indicates their arrogance and their riding-on-the-back-of-their-son's-ability mindset

Garman's father, in closing remarks to the committee before it ruled, said the family had no reason to move Daxx for athletic purposes.

"He already had his offer, his commitment," Pat Garman said. "If I was going to move him for athletic purposes, if I had known he would have to go through this and it would raise so many red flags, I would have put him in a private school."

the dad still thinks that Arizona is going to offer their son a scholarship after all this debacle...
and he obviously does not understand that the stakes in private school athletic programs can be just as high and as harsh when you break the rules...
I think from what other posters wrote that UIL rules are often followed by private schools--so he would not have been any better off if he tried a private school WHILE HE WAS STILL UNDER SUSPENSION...

that and the fact that the lease the family signed for the house in Southlake says specifically that it can be terminated if their son does not play at Southlake--

I don't blame WFAA for following up on the tip from someone who wanted to blow the cover off this attempt to skirt the rules...

the truth is that Southlake Carroll COULD HAVE GOTTEN all of this evidence (the Southlake lease, the fact that their OK home WAS NOT up for sale until August when the tv story broke, and the fact that Dax was NOT fully eligible to return/play at his original district) IF IT HAD BOTHERED TO DO IN DEPTH RESEARCH...
it chose not to--
embarassing for the ISD and the parents--and will be very interesting to see whether or not AZ hold true and offers this player a scholarship
I am betting it does not--because I don't think he is going to play football this season either--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth