Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 PM

8 posts, read 12,513 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've trolled this forum for several weeks hoping to find answers to my questions, but the more I read...the more confused I've become.

My situation, I'm retiring from the Air Force in 6 weeks and I have accepted a position at the Joint Reserve Base. I don't plan on purchasing a house right away, the first year my wife and I want to be sure that DFW is were we plan on calling home, so we will lease a house or find a nice apartment initially. However, we do have a daughter that will begin HS this fall, so finding a good HS is important as well and we hope to avoid having her change school districts.

Therefore, we are looking for a location that is within a 30 minute commute to the Base, has a quality school system, and once we decide to buy has plenty of options in the 350-375K range (our preference would be a house 2006 and newer). I've considered Keller, but I'm not sure if it's within the 30 minute commute time.

Any input on communities that fit this description would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,959 times
Hello,
With the road construction in the area of 820 and 35W would slow down your commute and put
you over your 30 minute commute.
For an apartment, someone with a child from Alaska moved down here several months ago and inputted the name of the apartment complex. The location was within a mile from the airbase entrance and nearby a local school. Close to shopping and shopping mall.
You can use the advanced search or just search through the previous entries on this forum.

As for a second location for home and or apartment, I would suggest to look at the
Bryant Irvin/south 820 in Southwest Fort Worth. Nice location and nearby to anything and everything
that you need. Also a short commute to work.
There is a new road Tollway construction (North/South direction), but if you can find something
west of the construction, it may not affect your commute.
to the Joint Reserve Base

Old 05-03-2012, 04:46 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
I think the apartments were Hawks Creek, which is right new the entrance of the base. They are pretty new (under 3 years) and look very nice.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:18 PM

I didn't think the area near the base was a highly desirable area, nor did I think the school system there was that great either...am I missing something?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 PM

211 posts, read 495,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjcking1 View Post
I didn't think the area near the base was a highly desirable area, nor did I think the school system there was that great either...am I missing something?
You're correct. You could move into the TCU/Tanglewood area with that budget, and your daughter could go to Paschal. However, you won't find a house that new. Most of them will be built in the 60s or 70s...some even in the 40s. But it's a beautiful, tree-filled neighborhood. Very "Leave it to Beaver."

There are some very nice apts. in the area too. Look around Hulen and Bellaire, Stonegate, Park Hill...quite a few, just make sure you're not getting into a situation with a lot of TCU kids.

The commute to the base is an easy 15-20 min.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 AM

690 posts, read 1,729,959 times
There has been some new construction and neighborhoods and shopping strips on the road towards the
joint reserve base. The area around TCU and Bryant Irvin/Hulen (Southwest Fort Worth) have always been some of the more desirable areas to live in for Fort Worth.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:08 AM

112 posts, read 290,529 times
Aledo. That was the advice i received on this board, and the more i look around, the more convinced i am that it is correct.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:32 AM

thanks for the info, I will look into Aledo

Old 05-05-2012, 01:42 AM

540 posts, read 1,106,532 times
Aledo is definitely an option and definitely within 30 minutes of the base. However, it is more rural. With the exception of Brookshire's grocery at Ranch House Road (off I-20) you'll be driving back into Fort Worth or to the Wal-Mart at Hudson Oaks for grocery shopping or any other type of shopping. Some people like that, some people don't. Also, there will be a large subdivision (300 homes) going in at the corner of 1187 and Bailey Ranch Road (The Parks of Aledo) starting within the next 12 months...what the will do to traffic is anyone's guess. That said, my family likes it out here. We're actually closer to Annetta South, so some 5 minutes past Aledo on FM5.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
yes--Aledo has new high school and for some people it can be better choice but you give up convenience when you move out that way

There is area south of FTW around Benbrook that is in Godley ISD--smaller--has good state ratings but don't really know that much about its programs or philosophy--
there is at least one neighborhood in north part of that ISD that probably meets your newer construction
and it would be closer to FTW amenities than Aledo

will DM a good RE site to use for FTW area--not so much for Aledo

would not really recommend Castleberry, White Settlement, Crowley ISDs

Plenty of posts about Paschal hs on this forum--you can search and get years of info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth