Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 8,530 times

Advertisements

Cheap house we pay over 800.00 a month. led to believe and lied can be the same thing. Someone lies to you and tells you one thing leading you to believe it. how is that different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 AM

5 posts, read 8,530 times
I dont mind paying something to get out of the lease and no itsw not entirely there fault and yes some is mine but what im asking is......is there any legal way out of this without paying 4 more months of over 800.00 for each month/

Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 AM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,637 times
It's not the landlord's fault at all, so unless the landlord is willing to terminate your lease early, you may be stuck.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:04 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaBar833 View Post
I dont mind paying something to get out of the lease and no itsw not entirely there fault and yes some is mine but what im asking is......is there any legal way out of this without paying 4 more months of over 800.00 for each month/
Call the LL and discuss this problem with him.

I'm a LL and much to my dismay, the house next door to a property has new tenants. The long-distance owner did not use a property manager and leased the house out via a craigslist ad. Then after committing the property to a couple, hired a local property manager to complete the transaction. My tenants are now suffering with their new neighbors having loud screaming arguments all thru the night in their kitchen -- which is on the side of the house as all their 3 bedrooms. The man stands in the driveway on his cell phone daily and has loud conversations heavily laced with profanity. My tenant now won't allow her toddlers to play on their trikes in the driveway. Also, there is a whole other activity of cars pulling up to this house, having a brief exchange with the man and leaving. I have involved the owner, the property manager and the police in this issue. I know I can't fix this problem entirely and may lose my tenants but at least they are working with me on finding a solution and giving me a heads up on the problem instead of just moving out......

Old 06-02-2011, 03:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
@Squirl--and what could you have done to prevent a homeowner from leasing to bad tenants?
would a property manager have been able to find out about their argument before leasing to them?

I don't think a past landlord would tell you info like that--they might be afraid of liability claims

Your tenants need to call the police--
if they can hear the neighbors through TWO house walls--the neighbors' and theirs' then that is enough for disturbing the peace citation
the police won't give out the names of the complaining parties

Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
@Squirl--and what could you have done to prevent a homeowner from leasing to bad tenants?
would a property manager have been able to find out about their argument before leasing to them?

I don't think a past landlord would tell you info like that--they might be afraid of liability claims

Your tenants need to call the police--
if they can hear the neighbors through TWO house walls--the neighbors' and theirs' then that is enough for disturbing the peace citation
the police won't give out the names of the complaining parties
A property manager would have run a criminal history background and discovered the tenant has a record and served time. I learned this during my discussions with the property manager last month. I also had such a serious conversation with the owner that I believe she will never be so naive again as to commit her property w/o checking backgrounds. Past landlords do disclose if former tenants were problematic, we landlords are really good about sharing.. My tenant does know to phone the police and also me. I have been promised by the owner that if there are complaints to the police regarding disturbing the peace she will begin eviction. Again, I hope I don't lose my tenant over this. I'm being as proactive as I can and I am grateful my tenant advised me of these issues rather than just breaking the lease and moving like the OP wants to do.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 PM

you did not mention the criminal history--
guess the landlord was trying to save money by not using management company
object lesson

Old 06-05-2011, 07:04 AM

621 posts, read 1,333,363 times
I think i'd have a nice long talk with the landlord..........Nobody would get away with doing that to my family..

He's scum

Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
I am not a lawyer but I don't know of any law that would let you out of your lease for the reasons you reported. Unless the house is uninhabitable, unsafe, that would be your way out.

If you feel so strongly about it and feel unsafe, you can either hire a lawyer or pay the landlord the remainder of the lease and move out.

I hope for your sake, that your landlord will do the right thing.

Naima

Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 AM

when the OP mentioned the rent they paid was really cheap--that would have been red flag for something might be wrong with this property--
something cheaper than what you are seeing in other areas should have been an alert that this might not be such a good rental deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth