Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM

96 posts, read 194,618 times

Advertisements

Modernist Masterwork Demolished in Fort Worth | Center Stage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Hardly anyone is interested in preservation in DFW...not when there's $$ to be made, anyway.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:34 PM

743 posts, read 1,323,460 times
I'm sure it was a great house. But are we now at the point of crying over 60 year old buildings?

If we start to landmark these post-war neighborhoods we'll never be able to retrofit suburbia.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:34 PM

50 posts, read 99,132 times
Differing opinions on what's worth preserving but yeah Dallas is not too big on preservation and more about letting people do what they want with their property, I guess.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:56 PM

636 posts, read 1,918,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
I'm sure it was a great house. But are we now at the point of crying over 60 year old buildings?

If we start to landmark these post-war neighborhoods we'll never be able to retrofit suburbia.
It is getting to be more and more common to see efforts to preserve post-war/mid century/modernist/ranch structures and entire neighborhoods. I'm not necessarily advocating it on a wholesale level, but you don't get a hundred year old structure without it being 60 first. You're going to see more of it.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:28 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,303,790 times
I am not sure I see the issue. The common thought in FW is that the issue had significant problems and someone was going to spend 7 figures to restore the house. The house was great in its prime, but the real value is the land. I am hard pressed to give a hard time to the new owners, when the previous owners did not feel strongly enough to maintain nor preserve the property. Further, as a guy who pays a fair amount of taxes in the town of the cow, I would have been pissed if the city would have purchased the property instead of using the money for roads, police, etc.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:59 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,416,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
but the real value is the land. I am hard pressed to give a hard time to the new owners, when the previous owners did not feel strongly enough to maintain nor preserve the property.
As an architectural designer, I couldn't disagree more. It's akin to destroying a painting claiming the value is in the canvas. It all depends on what they do with the property but I'm willing to bet it will be rather unremarkable in comparison.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,571,050 times
NOT COOL

Too bad some architecturally-inclined person or group didn't come forward and offer the Moores more than they paid for the property to preserve, and possibly restore it!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM

743 posts, read 1,323,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
It's akin to destroying a painting claiming the value is in the canvas.
More like if the value was in the frame. Which has been done...

Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,757,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
As an architectural designer, I couldn't disagree more. It's akin to destroying a painting claiming the value is in the canvas. It all depends on what they do with the property but I'm willing to bet it will be rather unremarkable in comparison.
If the public thinks it should be preserved, then give the new owners a tax break so they have an incentive to maintain it.

Why should someone be forced to live in a house that is falling down and which may be unsafe due to deteriorating electrical and dampness issues?

I own a well designed ranch house that is nearly 80 years old. Getting it back into shape will cost me 40K plus. Its a cool design but no way will I spend that money. I'll continue to lease it out but at some point I will sell it and the land to a new buyer who can either renovate OR do a tear down.

I'll cry when the ranch house goes down, but the pain of the alternative is much worse to bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth