Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 04:22 AM

4 posts, read 14,495 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
My name is Fikret, originally I'm from Vermont and currently I live in southwestern Germany with my family. My wife and I are planning on moving back to the states and seeing how there are a lot of jobs for me as a locomotive engineer in the Fort Worth/Dallas area we are planning to move there. We do have one advantage, our son is grown up and is staying in Germany for now so we don't have to worry about schools/universities for him.
I want to ask all of you out there who may already be living in the area or are planning to move there, what would you recommend, any suggestions concerning EVERYTHING?

Aspects that interest me right now:

1) living accomodations - what part of Fort Worth/Dallas is the best to live in with a normal budget? (nice neighborhoods, quiet, perfect for "newcomers")

2) climate situation - I've been hearing numerous versions of the Texan climate. I'm aware that it's hot in the summer and the winters are mild, but could anyone specify? What about natural catastrophes (tornadoes)?

3) jobs - I have over 20 years of railroad experience and my wife is an assembly technician. Do you think we'd be able to find jobs in the specific fields? For me it's very important to work on the railroad, but my wife isn't that picky.

I think that would be it for now! I will DEFINITELY appreciate any suggestions, comments, etc.! Thank you in advance.

Fico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 05:50 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fico View Post
Hey all,
My name is Fikret, originally I'm from Vermont and currently I live in southwestern Germany with my family. My wife and I are planning on moving back to the states and seeing how there are a lot of jobs for me as a locomotive engineer in the Fort Worth/Dallas area we are planning to move there. We do have one advantage, our son is grown up and is staying in Germany for now so we don't have to worry about schools/universities for him.
I want to ask all of you out there who may already be living in the area or are planning to move there, what would you recommend, any suggestions concerning EVERYTHING?

Aspects that interest me right now:

1) living accomodations - what part of Fort Worth/Dallas is the best to live in with a normal budget? (nice neighborhoods, quiet, perfect for "newcomers")

We live in the "mid-cities" area, which is Hurst, Euless, Bedford, and Arlington. Specifically, we live in North Hurst, right about where North Richland Hills, Hurst, and Colleyville meet up. It's nice here, not expensive, and we live in a very quiet neighborhood (haven't witnessed or heard of any break-ins, car thefts, or any kind of vandalism in the 10 years we have been here). It's very affordable as well. Property taxes in Texas are quite high, but there is no state tax so it evens out.

2) climate situation - I've been hearing numerous versions of the Texan climate. I'm aware that it's hot in the summer and the winters are mild, but could anyone specify? What about natural catastrophes (tornadoes)?

Summers do get hot. For a couple of months temperatures will flirt with 100 degrees or more for days on end. If you can't take the heat, you will need to adjust. In the Spring there are thunderstorms and sever weather, but I've lived in Oklahoma and Texas most of my life and have never seen a tornado. I've been in the vicinity of some though, but generally I don't worry too much. The weather forecasting here is great. We did have hail damage last spring from storms and I had to get a new roof put on, but insurance covered that.

3) jobs - I have over 20 years of railroad experience and my wife is an assembly technician. Do you think we'd be able to find jobs in the specific fields? For me it's very important to work on the railroad, but my wife isn't that picky.

I think Burlington Northern has a big operation only a few miles from my house. I almost went to work for them a couple of times. I don't know about the job situation with them, but I would suppose with the high cost of fuel, that rail transportation is a mighty efficient means of transporting goods these days - which translates into more jobs. I hear the railroad treats their employees very good too. As for your wife, she should probably be able to find something as the employment situation around here is pretty good. There are some factories out at Alliance airport, which is only about 15 miles from my house that would probably employ assembly technicians.

I think that would be it for now! I will DEFINITELY appreciate any suggestions, comments, etc.! Thank you in advance.

Fico
Please see my comments above in red.
Good luck!

Old 11-26-2007, 12:13 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,428,001 times
I would look in Saginaw or North Fort Worth area (Fossil Creek). BNSF has their Headquarters just down the street, housing is reasonable, safe and friendly. There is quite a bit of industrial type work here locally in the area as well.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:22 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,270,461 times
I know a guy that lives here in FTW that works for Union Pacific. FWIW

Old 11-26-2007, 07:33 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,239,653 times
Union Pacific is a big presence in downtown Ft. Worth.....ck this website for job applications......

Careers at Union Pacific

Old 11-27-2007, 09:35 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,239,653 times
Also......Burlington Northern jobs....

BNSF Careers - Rail Jobs at BNSF

Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 AM

Default thanks

Hello to everyone! Thanks a lot for the suggestions you've all made so far. I really do appreciate it very much. I don't think that the weather aspect will be a problem for us, neither is finding a job but I must say that that is the most important thing at the moment.

keep the suggestions coming

P.S. My son has a question: Hi, I go to university in Basel, Switzerland and am studying English and French (Bachelor). Can anyone tell me whether this is in demand in the states or in Texas? Apart from teaching, do you know of any companies in Dallas/Fort Worth in need of people with language skills, etc.? thanks

Old 12-01-2007, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,150 times
Default suggestions for possible relocater fleeing the snow and ice

Some of my extended family members are smarter than others and have relocated to the Fort Worth area of Texas.

I recently visited and would like to contemplate the possibilities.

The toughest news I heard is that its hard to assimilate because of the "Texas pride" factor. Hey, if I was from Texas, I'd be proud too. Its a great nation. What do you think? Do Texans accept and learn to love outsiders?

Are there any good jobs for an all around business management consultant needing flexible hours? Rental market pretty open? I suppose craigslist is a great place to start to get a sense of this.

I'm a single parent. What are the schools like? Are there any homeschooling parents out there listening?

These are the beginnings of questions.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:46 AM

Smile Eagle Mountain

Hey ya'll! Does anybody live out in Eagle Mountain? I've been looking for homes online and I actually like pretty much EVERY single one out there. What's that region like? I know it's a little outside of the city close to the lake (Eagle Mtn. Lake?). Besides that, can anyone elaborate a little on the town/neighborhood, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth