Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 11:46 PM

7 posts, read 26,247 times

Advertisements

We are looking at horse property in the Dallas/FW area (most of it online).
My husband did some shopping with a realtor in Aubrey - near the oldest daughter.
But the properties I've seen online that I really like all seem to be in the Fort Worth areas.

Does anyone have horses or know about the best horse areas to look in?

We're looking for a home with acreage that we can ride out from the house to trails - not have to trailer out every time we wanted to ride.

We'd be grateful for any help we can get.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 08:09 AM

11,871 posts, read 26,928,733 times
Aubrey/Pilot Point has lots of horse property, but no trails that I'm aware of. It's called "Show Row" up there because of all the big trainers, etc. who have farms in the area.

You might look up near Decatur and the LBJ Grasslands. Lots of trails there.

Lake Lavon is also popular for riding and they have trails, so houses near Lavon might work.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Thanks Christie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Aubrey/Pilot Point has lots of horse property, but no trails that I'm aware of. It's called "Show Row" up there because of all the big trainers, etc. who have farms in the area.

You might look up near Decatur and the LBJ Grasslands. Lots of trails there.

Lake Lavon is also popular for riding and they have trails, so houses near Lavon might work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My husband looked in Aubrey and said there were no trials that he could see. That's important to us because we ride a lot and want to ride out from our home. We're not 'show' people... just 'ole trail riders.

I hadn't heard of the other areas you mentioned. I'll Google them. We need to be within an hour commute of Arlington as that's where his office will be.

I really appreciate the help. It's hard selecting an area to move to an not having a clue - other than I LOVE the people in Texas (my best friend lives there) and look forward to moving there. THANKS !!

Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,960,664 times
there is newer subdivision in Benbrooke area (s of FTW) that has 10 acre type lots w/riding trails--think it is pretty expensive land--

found this doing MLS search
MLS 10811172 --located in NWISD--says gated community w/riding trails--don't know your budget...but nice house

La Cantera in NW area by Azle/Lakeside is supposed to have horse trails and acre size lots...

there are subdivisions like Country Haven in Flower Mound/Lewisville ISD that have large lots and access to Lake Grapevine's park w/horse trails...

Last edited by loves2read; 08-17-2007 at 04:11 PM..

Old 08-17-2007, 05:23 PM

This is going to be difficult as there are few public trails in the DFW area. Most state parks allow horses, but most city parks do not. Example: Lake Grapevine is NOT horse-friendly. The trails there are all paved and designed for walking/biking, not for horse riding. BTDT!

If he needs to commute to Arlington, your best bet will be looking south or west of the metroplex, not north. Burleson, Benbrook and Granbury all come to mind.

I wish I could be more help... I was a rodeo girl back in high school, so my trailer was almost always permanently attached to the truck!

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,960,664 times
I just repeated what was in the real estate info--sorry if I gave incorrect info about horse trails at Lake Grapevine..

Old 08-18-2007, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,731 times
theres a large horse population in weatherford about 20 miles from Ft Worth.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:36 PM

It's OK, lovestoread. If you're not a horse person yourself, then you wouldn't know what kind of trails horse people want. Paved trails are not good for horses, while soft dirt/sand trails are ideal. Horses also don't like being around bicycles (some horses are afraid of them) and walkers/runners don't like having to deal with horse poop on their walkways.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:08 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,997,180 times
Some neighborhoods in Southlake adacent to Grapevine Lake have access to Horse trails (maintaind by city) and 1+ acre lots allowing livestock.

dirt/no bikes/vehicles allowed.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Thank You Everyone!

We are SO grateful for all the input and help. I've copied this page with all your comments and sent them on to my husband. We'll research the areas you suggest and then talk to the realtor.

I'm flying to DWF on the 28th to house hunt for 3 days. All your information will be useful as we have NO idea where to start looking for property near trails.

My husband talked to some people in Texas who said they ride around their property (must be nice sized...) during the week and trailer out to ride on the weekends. We like to ride during the week as well. But I imagine whatever the situation is we'll work it out.

I still can't imagine that the trail riding is so much more accessable here in Southern California... doesn't seem logical when Texas is Horse country and is so huge! Yet we have wonderful trails right here to ride out on for hours as soon as we saddle up. I thought for sure Texas would have MUCH more rding out from neighborhood areas than we do here. Shows you what I know!

If anyone else has ideas on property that is adjacent to trails.... I'll keep checking back.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth