Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,093,600 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I will be flying into DFW in about 2 weeks from today and was wondering what I should do for fun. I am a college student on spring break, and I'm going to Fort Worth because my mother will be there for a Texas Instruments conference during my break. I am not looking to spend a lot of money (broke college student), but will dish out a few bucks for transportation because I am not getting a rental car. I am staying right in downtown at the Omni Hotel. I am personally interested in architecture, history, parks, technology, upscale shopping (just for looking) and coffee shops. I know that one day I will get on the train and visit Dallas, but I hope that there is enough to do in downtown FW that I can easily walk to. I will be mostly by myself due to the fact that my mother will be at the conference and I get tired of calculators after about 5 mins. Also would traveling down to TCU's campus be worth my time, for anything??? I am a huge WVU fan and would love to visit the campus of a fellow Big 12 school.

Any response would be helpful seeing how this will be my first visit to the area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:00 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,406 times
Welcome to Texas!

Staying in the downtown area can certainly be convenient and there are some things to do there but I have a feeling you will want to check out the cultural area/museum district and the Stockyards. For the museum district, from the Omni it would be around a 2-3 mile walk depending on which museum, etc. So you may want to check into either a bike rental or use a cab. For the stockyards, you would probably use a cab.

The Omni is opposite the convention center and the Water Gardens but otherwise you would mostly want to walk several blocks (6 or 7) north to the Sundance Square area for downtown attractions and shopping. I believe there is still a visitor information center on Main Street around 5th?

Here are some website suggestions:

Fort Worth's "Things to Do" page: Fort Worth Texas Things To Do - Shopping, Nightlife, Museums

Amon Carter Museum of American Art: Amon Carter Museum of American Art | An American Collection
Kimbell Art Museum: https://www.kimbellart.org/
Fort Worth Museum of Science and History: Fort Worth Museum of Science and History |
(I haven't been recently, but I'd like to stop by to see the "Cattle Raisers" exhibit. They also currently have the What’s Up, Doc? The Animation Art of Chuck Jones exhibit (Bugs Bunny animator!).)
National Cowgirl Hall of Fame: Home - Cowgirl Hall of Fame & Museum
Modern Art Museum: Homepage | Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth

Also, their is a satellite exhibit by the Sci & History museum downtown on the history of FW.
150 of Fort Worth History | Fort Worth Museum of Science and History

Also downtown is the Sid Richardson museum: a Fort Worth Art Museum | Remington & Russell Paintings | Sid Richardson Museum

If you will be here thru a Saturday, there are public tours of Bass Performance Hall (downtown) on Saturday mornings.

Fort Worth Stockyards: Fort Worth Stockyards

And there is also the FW Botanic Garden too! http://fwbg.org/

Basically, there is PLENTY you can keep busy with!

Old 02-27-2015, 04:52 AM

254 posts, read 401,090 times
Check into using B-cycle (bike share) while your in Fort Worth. There are plenty of stations where you'll be and you could get you around downtown and over to the Cultural District/W7th area pretty easily. Otherwise, Uber is probably a good bet or maybe the bus to get to the Stockyards and TCU.

In answer to your question, I would definitely make a trip over to TCU. It's a gorgeous campus that is very easy and enjoyable to walk around. Plenty of spots for lunch. Check out if TCU is playing a baseball game while you are there. TCU is currently a top ranked team and the baseball stadium is really nice (okay practically everything at TCU these days is really nice), and it will give you a good sense of the culture and atmosphere of TCU. While you're visiting TCU, be sure to check out Amon G. Carter Stadium (football). Pound for pound, it's one of the nicest you'll see - as a matter of fact, if you contact the athletic offices ahead of time, I seem to remember that you can arrange for a quick tour of the stadium (I think it's free).

If you are into architecture (especially if you are into Art Deco, Chicago School architecture, etc.) downtown Fort Worth should more than satisfy you and the Cultural District is a who's who of top architects.

I would also make a point to grab a bike and head on down to the Near Southside (specifically Magnolia Ave. between 8th and Hemphill) on a day when the weather is nice, which is an easy ride from where you'll be. It's a different flavor of Fort Worth than most expect (more hipsters and artists than cowboys). Good live music there (especially at Live Oak).

Downtown will give you plenty to do at night but you could also head over to the W7 area for good nightlife (bars, live music, etc), and of course there are the honkytonks in the Stockyards.

You might also take a look to see if there are any performances that might interest you at Bass Hall (the gorgeous opera house downtown). You can usually get some pretty affordable tickets in the upper or lower gallery.

Don't waste too much time in Dallas .

Would love to hear what you thought of Fort Worth after the visit.

Last edited by RMFW; 02-27-2015 at 05:01 AM..

Old 02-27-2015, 09:28 AM

Thank you both very much. I am getting very excited based on your responses. I will most certainly look into the bike share, because I love to bike as well. I will try to visit a couple of the museums as well. TCU will also be on my list of things to do. I will make sure to check out the football stadium (which is no doubt one of the nicest in our conference).

Another question I have, if anyone wants to take a stab is: Where are the good bakeries, doughnut shops, pastry shops, and ice cream shops (preferably home-made ice cream)? I always try to find the best quality treats when I travel.

Also can somebody describe the Trinity River Area/Development, and would this be something to check out? I am all about urban planning, and would love to see this project. I have seen renderings and concepts of it, but have these things come to fruition?

Thanks again, I am very excited about the trip!

Old 02-27-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I will most certainly look into the bike share, because I love to bike as well.
Check out the Trinity Trails system - you could probably bike down to the Woodshed or the Clearfork food truck park one day/evening and easily over through Trinity Park.

Quote:
I will try to visit a couple of the museums as well.
Definitely don't skip the Kimbell. To give you an idea of just how high a quality of art it has (in the ultimate example of quality over quantity in a museum), it has Michelangelo's first painting and only work found in the Western Hemisphere.

Quote:
TCU will also be on my list of things to do. I will make sure to check out the football stadium (which is no doubt one of the nicest in our conference).
Come back down in the fall for TCU vs. WVU.

Quote:
Another question I have, if anyone wants to take a stab is: Where are the good bakeries, doughnut shops, pastry shops, and ice cream shops (preferably home-made ice cream)? I always try to find the best quality treats when I travel.
Downtown:

http://www.originalcupcakery.com

Southside:

Melt Ice Creams

Spiral Diner on Magniolia also has really good pastries and they're all vegan (yes, a great vegan place in the heart of Cowtown)

Avoca's a great coffee shop across the street.
http://avocacoffee.com

W7:

Sweet Sammies | Fort Worth, Texas

Unfortunately, no real good specialty donut shop. It's one thing Fort Worth sorely needs. Move down here after college, bring a few buddies along with you and open one.

Quote:
Also can somebody describe the Trinity River Area/Development, and would this be something to check out? I am all about urban planning, and would love to see this project. I have seen renderings and concepts of it, but have these things come to fruition?
It's still a long way from being complete (it's a very long term project). Right now they're relocating any remaining businesses, doing demo and environmental remediation work, clearing the path for the channel and building the bridges. But you can walk on over the the corner of 7th and Throckmorton downtown to the TRV offices where they have a cool display and project info area at the corner of the building facing the sidewalk.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:08 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,259 times
Places to see: The Kimbell is a world class museum. If you like art at all, don't skip it. And double threat because the Renzo Piano Pavillion is beautiful architecture. The Modern is also great and free!

Coffee shops/treats: go to Brewed over on Magnolia

There are some cool upscale places to browse around W 7th but most if not all of the restaurants there are Dallas copies or national chains- not local at all. That said, I like Tillman's.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:09 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,259 times
Bluebonnet Bakery on Camp Bowie

Old 02-27-2015, 07:11 PM

Thanks again for the responses! I will definitely check out all of these recommendations. Look forward to some warmer weather as well. I am currently in Upstate NY, so anything is better than what I've experienced these last two winters!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks again for the responses! I will definitely check out all of these recommendations. Look forward to some warmer weather as well. I am currently in Upstate NY, so anything is better than what I've experienced these last two winters!
Lol. You picked an ironic day to say that. We got about 4-6" of snow today with another 6-8" of snow tonight and the temps in the 20s most of the day. But don't worry... There's a 73 degree day with thunderstorms forecast for Tuesday.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFW View Post
Lol. You picked an ironic day to say that. We got about 4-6" of snow today with another 6-8" of snow tonight and the temps in the 20s most of the day. But don't worry... There's a 73 degree day with thunderstorms forecast for Tuesday.
Hopefully in two weeks it will be better. We have a couple feet of snow in my front yard, so feel fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth