Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 10,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Some parts of Aledo ISD are in SW not just west of FTW
I think that is better than Burleson
Problem is that area is more rural/isolated--shopping and other facilities are more scattered and not that close
Some areas of FTW in Paschal HD catchment likely work
Plenty of people who can't afford that much $ for home send kids to private schools if they live in FTW
Martin HS catchment in Arlington ISD
Godly ISD, smaller but decent stats is north of Burleson

The 30 min commute likely rules out Colleyville or Southlake although your budget would fit
any approximation as to how long of a commute either might be? colleyville seems like it might be just on the brink of being ok distance-wise, but with the understanding of having to drive all the way through the city. I'm willing to push out the commute a bit if there's a good increase in quality of life, particularly schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 10:46 AM

540 posts, read 1,105,283 times
I honestly can't say what the commute would be other than a pain. Given the budget you mentioned in your OP, I see no reason to live in Colleyville when you can get into great houses in FW such as the oft mentioned Tanglewood area and have a shorter and less stressful commute. But then, I hate traffic. And even though there has been and continues to be a lot of construction to improve traffic, a commute from Colleyville to Alcon will still involve the mess of 820/121 and 121/35 near downtown. Those have been a mess for over 20 years. Just my opinion of course.

That said...if good traffic...and with luck...and if you can tweak your hours to avoid peak rush hour...Colleyville would be doable. That is a lot of "ifs" though. I personally wouldn't...but choices of where to live and what commute is acceptable is personal too. ;>

I need to go back and review the earlier parts of the thread...have you visited? Will you be visiting?

Old 10-23-2015, 11:20 AM

11 posts, read 10,155 times
thanks for the feedback - only visit so far has been brief; however, we will have some house hunting trips. honestly, I'm thinking to do a short term lease for 6-12 mo to learn the area better. in addition to commute and schools, the other factor is that my wife is a sahm and our youngest are still a few years out from school age, so they need activities. our oldest will be starting kindergarten next fall.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:16 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,283 times
I do think a short term lease/rent is a great idea. The area is huge and since you have until next August to pick a school district for your oldest starting K, renting for 6 months and trying to buy next spring is a great idea. I'm sure it is the same in a lot of places, but many listings do happen around April for people wanting to move during the early summer when school gets out too!

Old 10-25-2015, 08:28 PM

212 posts, read 477,124 times
Wow. I've noticed there are a few of the same fear mongers on the Fort Worth thread who claim to have some first hand knowledge of Fort Worth schools, neighborhoods, culture, crime, etc. My opinion, if I was moving to DFW and did not live in central Fort Worth (e.g Tanglewood, Arlington Heights, Fairmount) or central Dallas (e.g. Lake Highlands, Lakewood, North Oak Cliff) I'd rather not live in DFW. Moving to DFW and living in Aledo, Mansfield, HEB, Keller, Frisco, Irving, etc., in my opinion, would be like moving to New York City and living in New Jersey. My advice, don't get your advice from this forum.

Last edited by rogramjet; 10-25-2015 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth