Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 01:55 AM

38 posts, read 60,977 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to the Fort Worth area for a few years from the UK. This is due to my husband's job. He's American. My question is, how safe is it for the average person? We have three young children and our life as we know it is one where it's EXTREMELY rare to ever hear of any gun related crime. We can walk at night and not really worry. We feel very safe. Obviously, a big city area like the DFW are is very different from our current life and as we have children, it does worry me. Do I need to be so fearful? We are only looking at neighbourhoods to live that have the lowest crime possible - Colleyville, Northlake, Double Oak, Lantana. Are there any native Fort Worthers out there who can give some advice? Or perhaps anyone who has moved there from elsewhere - how does it compare? There seems to be a lot of home invasions in the US. This is something that deeply worries me! :-/ Many thanks!

Last edited by Abda79; 06-04-2017 at 02:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 06:31 AM

1,158 posts, read 961,459 times
I think the odds of being struck by lightning are better than being the victim of a home invasion in most suburban Fort Worth neighborhoods.

This is not a major worry. Use common sense. Keep your doors locked and don't answer the door if you don't know the person or they are suspicious.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:08 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
All of the area's you mentioned are very safe and are great places to live. There are many safe neighborhoods all over DFW; I'd say the majority of the metroplex is safe, although there are pockets of higher crime areas. Home invasions, although highly publicized by the media, are actually very, very rare.

The easiest way to avoid living in an unsafe neighborhood is to not look for a place with cheap rent. Generally, those will be the higher crime neighborhoods. Also, look online for "crime maps" from the police department which will show the frequency of crime activity in areas.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:33 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,489,659 times
Safer than UK I would think?
As far as gun related crime we have a lot more than UK I'm sure.
However I often hear the police say be careful who you're friends and family are.
It's probably pretty rare that there is random violence.
Have a bad relationship....get involved with drug trade ... or gangs.... and you're chances go up dramatically.
It's pretty rare to have any type of home invasion while you are at home in the neighborhoods/cities mentioned.
There may be an occasional break in...just like every other place in the world.
I frequent and work in these areas often..and have no worries about any of them at any time, day or night.
Always pays to think smart, and things do happen, but probably less than many other places.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:58 AM

712 posts, read 842,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Bainger-Davis View Post
We are looking to move to the Fort Worth area for a few years from the UK. This is due to my husband's job. He's American. My question is, how safe is it for the average person? We have three young children and our life as we know it is one where it's EXTREMELY rare to ever hear of any gun related crime. We can walk at night and not really worry. We feel very safe. Obviously, a big city area like the DFW are is very different from our current life and as we have children, it does worry me. Do I need to be so fearful? We are only looking at neighbourhoods to live that have the lowest crime possible - Colleyville, Northlake, Double Oak, Lantana. Are there any native Fort Worthers out there who can give some advice? Or perhaps anyone who has moved there from elsewhere - how does it compare? There seems to be a lot of home invasions in the US. This is something that deeply worries me! :-/ Many thanks!

well, if you're walking around at night you're more likely to be struck by A CAR than anything else.

Here is REALITY: Physics doesn't lie - the guy with a gun (and marksmanship) WINS a fight
- the good news is that in Texas the GOOD GUYS are allowed to carry one !

WHY would anyone want to live somewhere where only the BAD guys are allowed to carry/have/own guns ??

Last edited by oldoak2000; 06-06-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-07-2017, 01:34 PM

367 posts, read 818,017 times
Fort Worth is incredibly safe for the most part. But that's true of the entire United States, actually, and overall, it's safer now than it was twenty and thirty years ago. You have nothing to really worry about.

Like most places, the worst of crime is usually concentrated in a few areas, none of which you've mentioned. Don't let news reports - which are only reporting UNUSUAL occurrences (because they're, y'know, news) - paint an incorrect picture for you.

Property crime is the biggest issue in the places you named, and even then, it's relatively rare.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:28 AM

38 posts, read 60,977 times
Oldoak2000...well, while only the bad ones have guns in the UK, it is extremely rare so it means "the good ones" just don't have to worry. It's never a thought for anyone here that a shooting could happen, as it just really doesn't. Well, there are about 20 a year but out of 70 million people that's not bad! And those 20 would be probably one domestic and 19 gang related (but again, we don't really see gangs as they stick to themselves. So if we relocate, gun crime is a concern as we have three children but everyone who has commented have put my mind more at ease which is great! Thank you! We'd definitely choose a safe neighbourhood and we would be sensible as to where we travel etc. Thank you very much for your help!

Old 06-10-2017, 10:06 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...rimeandjustice

You would be surprised on who owns guns in the UK. Trap, Skeet, SASS, fox, ... they do not shoot peas:>)
We lived on three continents from Washington, DC to single-zip-code-no-Starbucks OK including DFW. Guns are part of daily life you just do not see them because they are not part of what you see. Been there. It is like mini skirts. Big deal then it is normal.
I told SO the other day that I have to have this toy. His response - what? Oh that!

Old 06-11-2017, 04:44 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
I live in North Fort Worth, the Marine Creek area, and we have lots of car prowls, petty theft, etc. We had to start putting our car in the garage the car break-ins were so bad.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:12 AM

712 posts, read 842,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Bainger-Davis View Post
Oldoak2000...well, while only the bad ones have guns in the UK, it is extremely rare so it means "the good ones" just don't have to worry. It's never a thought for anyone here that a shooting could happen, as it just really doesn't. Well, there are about 20 a year but out of 70 million people that's not bad! And those 20 would be probably one domestic and 19 gang related (but again, we don't really see gangs as they stick to themselves. So if we relocate, gun crime is a concern as we have three children but everyone who has commented have put my mind more at ease which is great! Thank you! We'd definitely choose a safe neighbourhood and we would be sensible as to where we travel etc. Thank you very much for your help!
few 'shootings' in UK but denying guns doesn't make any safer there: you guys are slicing and dicing like it's going out of style:
..."Knife crime rose from 9,742 to 12,074 from 2015-16 to 2016-17..." sheesh!!
Roll call of death: Map shows how widespread knife crime is across London | Metro News

Nonetheless, using a little bit of common sense, you'll be more likely to be struck by lighting (or LARGE HAIL) that be involved in any gun-crime here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth