Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 04:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

anyone have any advice on how to handle your insurance and a hail claim...we live in neighborhood where many homes are having roofs done due to hail damage....we have had two roofing companies we called come by and tell us we have a totaled roof....these are companies that have been in business locally for many years...
we have state farm ins and have never filed for hail damage before...claim adjuster is going to come out and look at roof--he says he does not need roofer rep there....both guys said they would like to be there when the inspection is done....

any insights....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 05:03 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
anyone have any advice on how to handle your insurance and a hail claim...we live in neighborhood where many homes are having roofs done due to hail damage....we have had two roofing companies we called come by and tell us we have a totaled roof....these are companies that have been in business locally for many years...
we have state farm ins and have never filed for hail damage before...claim adjuster is going to come out and look at roof--he says he does not need roofer rep there....both guys said they would like to be there when the inspection is done....

any insights....
If the entire neighborhood is getting new roofs, there is a good chance you need a new one as well (unless your roof is a year or two old). All roofers are going to tell you that you need a roof regardless of the damage. This is why the adjuster tells you he doesn't need the roofer present. Often times, the roofer is simply a salesman and does not know what constitutes damage to a roof. If your adjuster does not find any damage, what they will do, at your request, is send another adjuster out and look at the roof WITH your chosen contractor. They will look at the roof together and make an assessment.

You did the right think by having a local, well-established company come out and look at your roof. Beware of the fly-by-night contractors who swoop in from out of state and put the screw to people.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:17 AM

Yes, many people on our street are getting roofs replaced...I know the insurance adjustment will be prorated based on roof's age...
we just don't want a patched-roof...and frankly, we have been w/same company for the entire time we have lived in this house (20+) years and filed two claims...but think they are going to put up a stink about the damage...

two roof inspectors w/two different roofing companies (and they were ins adjusters before that they said--so I see that as a trend) said that it seems insurance companies take turns as to who will be the good cop--pay out without a problem--and who will be the bad cop--make you jump through hoops to get a decent adjustment on a claim...
we have friend in different subdivison/town about 3 miles from where we live--she has same ins co and had same roofing co come out--ins adjuster said her roof was totaled and also had 1500 worth of gutter damage...her roof is about same age as ours...but there was worse hail in her location...bigger stones and more dense----saw many on her lawn afterwards that were about 3 in ice chunks---
so will just have to see what ins adj says...

Old 05-12-2007, 10:29 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Yes, many people on our street are getting roofs replaced...I know the insurance adjustment will be prorated based on roof's age...
we just don't want a patched-roof...and frankly, we have been w/same company for the entire time we have lived in this house (20+) years and filed two claims...but think they are going to put up a stink about the damage...
Again, 9 out of 10 times your roof is gonna need replaced if everyone on your street is getting a new roof. I've been an adjuster for over 7 years and there have been times when I buy a roof on one side of the street and then look at a house on the other and there is minimal damage. It happens.

As for the payment, on a typical Homeowners Policy you are owned Replacement Cost. Thus the insurance co. owes you the full cost of the roof less your deductible. They do however, withhold depreciation to insure that A) you actually have the work done and B) the price paid meets the going rate in the area. The homeowner is NOT to use the insurance company as a source of income. In other words, you should not "make" money on your claim. In addition, people love to say "well, we have been with you X number of years and have never filed a claim. You owe us!" Newsflash...insurance are not banks. They do not take your money and hold it for you until you have a loss. If you never have a loss, they don't owe you your money back nor do they owe you more than what you owe should you have a loss.

Finally, if the roof is only a few years old and the shingles can be matched, a repair is an acceptable remedy. Replacing an entire slope is also feasible as you do see hail typically come from one direction occasionally leaving the remaining slope of the roof untouched. They will not however, simply slap some tar or different color/type of shingles on the roof. If you ever see this on a roof, typically its the work of the homeowner who either never filed a claim or did and kept the money and repaired the roof him/herself.

Quote:
two roof inspectors w/two different roofing companies (and they were ins adjusters before that they said--so I see that as a trend) said that it seems insurance companies take turns as to who will be the good cop--pay out without a problem--and who will be the bad cop--make you jump through hoops to get a decent adjustment on a claim...
Been in this business for 7 years and have NEVER seen this done in any of the dozens of states I have worked in. The insurance company (especially State Farm) only pays what they owe on a claim. The homeowner is given the benefit of the doubt 99% of the time.

From what you've said about your situation, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Hail claims are some of the easiest claims to handle. Things could be worse, you have a Cat 5 hurricane destroy your entire house.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 33,320 times
Default Hail Claims

Many insurance companies have decided to deny hail claims instead of paying homeowners for the coverage they paid for. Before you accept advice from adjusters, contact a consumer lawyer with experience suing insurance companies. Moderator cut: need more than 10 posts to make specific recs, noadvertising allowed
Clint Blackman
Dallas, Texas

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-12-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 31,635 times
I see a lot of discussion here I agree with and some I don't. I work for a general contractor and a lot of what we do is insurance claims and roofing. Here's the process.
-Call in a claim

-an adjuster has 48 to 72 hours to set up his adjusters evaluation, he will call and give you a day and time he will be there to look at the damage.

-adjuster evaluates the damage and either approves or denies. We DO like to be there with the adjuster to work on behalf of the homeowner. Not "selling" a roof but to give an owner representation. Too many people just listen to what thier adjuster says. NEWS FLASH=adjusters work for the inurance company, thier job is to MINIMIZE payment. They don't want to pay out if they can get away with it. Matter of fact the owner of my company used to be an insurance adjuster so he knows all thier games.
We know roofs and what to look for. I have real world examples of insurance being wrong about a roof just to not pay. My email is Moderator cut: send a DM,m email is advertising the company ]. I'll answer any questions you might have and if you want examples.

-if/when it's approved there are 3 parts to the payout 1st is the deductible, 2nd is the actual cost value (value minus the depreciation), 3rd is the replacement cost value (depreciation).

here's an example- say your total claim is $10,000, your deductible is $1000, insurance will be paying $9000 for your claim. Insurance determines depreciation, let's say $3000. They send the $6000 (total less deductible less depreciation) with adjusters scope of work (what they're paying for). After the work is complete the contractor invoices the insurance company and they send the remaining $3000 that was held out for depreciation.
If that invoice doesn't match what insurance paid out there will be problems. A lot of people think they can get low bids and keep the extra money. That is ILLEGAL and there are huge consiquences if you are caught. So, might as well get the most out of what they are paying. YOU CANNOT PROFIT FROM AN INSURANCE CLAIM. Usually that first and second check are paid to the contractor. So the only cost to the homeowner is thier deductible, which is also paid to the contractor. Now, we can usually work out the deductible so alot of times there is no cost at all to the homeowner to get a new roof.

I'm willing to answer any questions anyone might have. My name is Colton and you can email me at Moderator cut: send a DM, email and web site is advertising, not allowed

Old 09-02-2010, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 33,129 times
Recently we file a claim for hail damage on the roof. As instructed by a contractor ?? (may be fly by night) that we had a hail damage. An adjuster came and also the contractors representative. The adjuster said I had only 1 slope to be replaced and 2 slope on the garage. We received the check and we contact the contractor but they said they will not repair a roof if its only a part of it. That's why i contact another contractor and re inspect our roofs. And discover a lot of hail damage on the roof and even on the siding. So I contact insurance company to reinspect our roofs. They hire another engineering firm for inspection. The engineer arrive and also our new contractor and even the insurance adjuster. And now its been 3 weeks since but no updates of the status. the insurance keeps saying its under reviewed. I don't know if they will pay our claim or just delaying things..especially we are new to the insurance company.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:21 PM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times
Having been gone for a dozen years, I've become happy owning vehicles which do not have the surface texture of a golf ball.

This said, when we bought insurance for our house back in March, I found your deductible for storm damage is now 10% of what the insurance company claims your house is worth, in total.

Funny, we paid $165K, yet the insurance company claims it's "worth" 'bout $310K. How about, in case of total loss, y'all just cut me a check for the value you claim it has, and we'll call it even? Yeah...I didn't think so.

However, storm damage, we're looking at a $3K deductible. Yeah, I could have paid more to lower it, but it's all a game of luck. I'm feeling lucky.

When we wind up with hail damage, I'll be sorely tempted to experiment with pickup truck bedliner coating, as that stuff is pretty much indestructible. I'm still having issues with color and texture, but I'm working on it...kinda. White would be optimal for heat rejection, but it'd be hideous, IMO.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:53 PM

I think your deductable depends on the level of protection you are willing to pay for
some people pay for actual cash value damage--
so if the entire roof needs to be replaced the insurance company totally pays and homeowner has NO deductable...
but the premium is higher

Old 09-03-2010, 06:07 AM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times
Oh, they'll sell you a no-deductible, or low-deductible plan, but it's going to cost plenty.

Don't get me wrong, insurance companies are in the business to make money, like any other business. I'm just surprised they not only became this clever, but that the spineless state insurance board went along with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth