Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 09:24 AM

153 posts, read 110,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocoins View Post
I see. I think describing "Dallas" as being glitzy/gaudy, glorified materialism, etc.. is only one aspect of Dallas. Dallas is a large and very diverse city so it's next to impossible to paint the entire city with one broad brushstroke.

When I say Fort Worth is turning into Dallas, I really just mean all cities are becoming homogenized and so in 10-15 years time, Fort Worth and Dallas will feel a lot more similar than they are today. I'd say West 7th feels like what Uptown used to be, and Magnolia feels like Bishop Arts/Lower Greenville. Hell, a lot of the same establishments exist on both sides of town too (Kung Fu, Rodeo Goat, Wabi House, Melt, Cane Rosso, etc..)
True. I agree. Those that say, "Don't Dallas my Fort Worth" hold that perception of Dallas and tend to paint the city with a large brush stroke. I love the City of Dallas. I actually like it more than FW so ppl I know in FW give me a hard time about it. But then again, they always get on to me about over dressing or being fashionable too.

Same way the "Don't California my Texas" people perceive Californians. Paint them with a brush stroke of far left extremism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 09:39 AM

115 posts, read 63,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
True. I agree. Those that say, "Don't Dallas my Fort Worth" hold that perception of Dallas and tend to paint the city with a large brush stroke. I love the City of Dallas. I actually like it more than FW so ppl I know in FW give me a hard time about it. But then again, they always get on to me about over dressing or being fashionable too.

Same way the "Don't California my Texas" people perceive Californians. Paint them with a brush stroke of far left extremism.
Gotcha. If they are painting this extreme version of Dallas, then yes, Fort Worth will never become an extreme version of Dallas. Even Dallas won't ever become this hypothetical extreme version of itself either.

I think as cities grow, developers need to continue to build and it's cheaper/quicker just to build things that look the same as all other cities. People moving to cities are bringing different ideas, and the prevalence of social media is making it easier and easier to become more homogenized. I'm not necessarily singling out Fort Worth, I just think all cities are trending in this direction.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:35 PM

537 posts, read 449,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I have to ask because personally, it's the most annoying thing I ever hear from other Fort Worthians.

I'm probably the biggest Fort Worth homer on this forum and I don't like being lumped in with the city to the East... HOWEVER, anytime the subjects of city growth, infrastructure, luring white collar jobs/major corporations, expansion of transportation, etc. comes up, several people in this town say "Don't Dallas my Fort Worth" (which I find to be the most obnoxious saying created) or "you're trying to turn our city into Dallas", or the like.

I want to ask what that means, exactly, because it really doesn't make sense to me. I don't see how doing what EVERY major city does is trying to "be like Dallas". I believe it to make us look like petty, small-minded hicks who can't get over the fact that this is a major city and the 15th largest (and growing) in the nation. It's not necessary.
I don't know what it means either. I also do not understand why you would be offended by someone comparing Fort Worth to Dallas or vice versa. Dallas and Fort Worth are principal cities in the Metroplex. There is not a rivalry in my mind. I was born in Dallas, raised in Northwest Tarrant County, and now I live in Collin County. All of these are great places. I can give you pros and cons of all of them. The reason why I live where I live is not because I think it is superior to somewhere else. It is because it is convenient to my business. We should all have an attitude of being proud to live in the D/FW Metrpoplex/North Texas. When I am traveling and someone asks me where I am from I usually respond that I live in North Texas and leave it at that.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:22 PM

21 posts, read 25,799 times
I think it's mostly a political statement. The boomer generation and a few cowboy wannabes don't want Ft Worth to be blue like Dallas is. It's even worse in Arizona where I saw bumper stickers saying don't California my Arizona. The whole notion is pretty stupid but the people who display signs like that usually aren't the brightest bulbs in the lamp.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:37 PM

9,872 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
15th largest in the nation? Oh, right, because Fort Worth has annexed a bunch of land and thereby has inflated its population. It sure doesn't FEEL like the 15th largest city in the US, or even the 30th. Or even the 50th.
Old but this is an exaggeration.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:18 PM

35 posts, read 30,859 times
OK. Just logged on and have seen this really (sorry, but) petty stream. What it means is don't screw up a small town just because it is near a city that isn't the same. Don't really care where Dallas goes, seems to be a NYC wannaby complete with black dresses and oh so self important people. Been there, done that complete with living in NYC. You all can have it, and hope you enjoy the ride. If that's what is important to people in Dallas, so be it, and god bless those who desire that life. Really mean it - I get it and why you may feel that way. FTW will likely not be that place...thanks for what they both are.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:58 AM

317 posts, read 228,234 times
Don't Dallas my Fort Worth translates to Fort Worth is happy to remain flyover/layover country and not a destination.

But in all seriousness, Dallas and Fort Worth need each other and I think Betsy Price and Mike Rawlings were the first set of mayors to play nice and really propel the region forward at a faster quip.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:47 PM

36 posts, read 42,271 times
What they are saying is don't let Fort Worth turn into a democratic city like Dallas. It's been awhile since they had a democratic mayor but that could change with these Californians moving in.

Old 02-18-2023, 07:21 AM

8 posts, read 8,872 times
The foreign invasion has ruined all Texas cities.
Ft Worth is the last major city worthy of residence
But the clock is ticking.

Last edited by TXsterling; 02-18-2023 at 07:49 AM..

Old 02-18-2023, 08:58 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
Foreign invasion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth