Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 PM

287 posts, read 503,144 times

Advertisements

Or do you think it is generally the same type of geogrphic area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 06:54 AM

341 posts, read 1,018,602 times
Is there a huge difference between the beaches of the Texas coast vs the beaches of South FLA (besides the sand & water) ?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:59 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace View Post
Or do you think it is generally the same type of geogrphic area?
I don't know, what kind of geography does N. CO have?

We have a gently rolling topography, it's not all flat. Plus the natural materials beneath the surface aren't much conducive to building basements; we have alot of clays and also limestone. Lots of oak trees, balled cypress, bois d'arc, cottonwood, mesquite, maple, cedar, crape myrtle, etc. Desert and mountains in West Texas, the Piney Woods in East Texas, south Texas is subtropical, the Hill Country in central part of the state is what the name implies and is very pretty.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:22 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
what part of Northern Co? east like Greely or limon?
or front range like Boulder?

topography is more like eastern co the limon area or out by
DIA. eastern DFW has more trees/hills etc than western FW (more flat ranch land)
hotter summers, more humid.

But, being a native from CO I'd say it's a huge difference if you are near the front range and can even see the mtns.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:10 PM

sorry 5stones and blueskies, my question was kind of vague. yes I was referring to theplains like Greeley. You answered my question when you said the Eastern DFW is morewooded and hilly, and Western DFW is more akin to the Plains. Is there really that much of a difference in landscape over such a small geographic span? If so, does DFW sit on a geographic dividing point? What I disliked about the plains of eastern colorado is thatevery thing is laid out before you. There are no surprises, no hidden gems. If what I am reading is correct, it sounds like the eastern side of DFW is more what I have in mind.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 PM

215 posts, read 985,070 times
ya there are no tornadoes and baseball size hail in colorado

Old 04-03-2008, 11:31 PM

I know, booz, it's totally boring, huh.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace View Post
Is there really that much of a difference in landscape over such a small geographic span? If so, does DFW sit on a geographic dividing point?
From what I understand, Dallas sits on chalk and limestone while Fort Worth sits on a basin atop oil and natural gas although there is still limestone there, too. Arlington in between them sits on sandstone as does Grapevine and Denton. Those three cities run north and south between Dallas and Fort Worth. There's a big difference in the land west of Fort Worth which is scrubbier and east of Dallas which is more lush with gently rolling hills here and there. They both come together in varying degrees in the Metroplex.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:45 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Although, if you go to far North Tarrant County and on up into Wise County you see the gentle rolling hills. Wise County does have rolling hills but not much as far as forests and such. More farm country w/ dairy and horse farms - or USED to be. LOTS of gas wells in Wise County. The hills are really noticeable when driving west on 287 towards Decatur from Denton. Up and down, up and down, up and down. My mom played the game as a kid and we did too of who could see the Wise County Courthouse first. You had to learn which hill you crested would be the first chance to get a glimpse of it before it disappeared again.

Limon, Co is FLAT! There is NOTHING around DFW THAT flat.

No, Colorado does not experience tornadoes much but according to the Denver weather folks they have "gustanadoes". LOL!!! I'll never forget that.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:43 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
Geographically, yes, and Culturally, yes, an enormous difference. Texas is Southern. Colorado is Western. I'm not even sure I was aware Northern Texas had Mountains unless we are discussing the Ouachitas or Southwest Texas, around El Paso, but that's more desert than mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth