Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:43 AM

109 posts, read 469,617 times

Advertisements

there is a wine shop, pretty new on east street near the intersection with 4th street( i believe) heres the link Welcome to Frederick Cellars, A City Winery! ...there are also plenty of local coffee shops and cafe's and they are dotted all over Frederick, i suppose market street cafe would be my favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 11:50 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

2. Best wine shop? I see wineries in the area. Good local wine?

There are no wine shops per se, but there are good local vineyards. Liganore Wineries and Lowe's makes good sweet wines, Elk Run has fancier wines that are more expensive. Their Gerwerztiminer is heavenily. You can get these at any local liquor store.
A wine shop just opened, found it on a Frederick blogsite. Excerpt:

February 18, 2008
A new wine store in Frederick
This little tidbit comes from a reader tip:

Driving out of Frederick last week on 7th Street, I was surprised to see that a new wine shop has opened. It is right on the corner of 7th and Tollhouse, directly across the street from the hospital. The name of the store is The Frederick Winehouse. You can check out their website at Frederick Wine House, Frederick, Maryland. It has only been open for about a week now. In fact I could still smell the fresh paint.

I chatted with the owner Gary for a while and tasted two different wines. He even opened a bottle just for me to try, even though I was the only person in the store and it was near closing time. He plans to have frequent tastings and eventually make part of the store into a cheese shop. At the moment, he is just carrying wine and by the name and the facility, I don’t expect he will carry any other spirits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

3. Best local beer?

Frederick Brewing Company and Wild Goose both produce all of the stock microbrews like Pale Ale, Porter, IPA, etc. I like Wild Goose better.
Also, Brewer's Alley downtown brews their own beer. Pretty decent "American" food to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_gordon
4. Best local (no Starbucks, I don't own stock) coffee shop?
There's a place at the intersection of East and Church(?)/2nd(?). Also, a high-end place with Italian(?) espresso also opened up about a year ago on Patrick, I think. From the outside resembles a German "Konditerei."

Old 02-23-2008, 02:42 AM

102 posts, read 384,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2boys37 View Post
I think Liberty Road has fallen in quality over the years. Mays is still the best to me.
Well, shoot, we'll just have to try them both.
Where is Mays?

Following what you are saying about breweries, we'd seen pix of Brewer's Alley, which looks like fun. Wild Goose is good!

We don't like the sweet wines, more into dry. Hubby likes dry, tart stuff, preferably white. I love Italian non-oaked Chardonnay or spicy Riesling.

Beer: We never got to love the wheat beers, so just "normal" stuff, and good ol' Merkun food works great with that.

This is great, thanks!

Edge

Last edited by edge_gordon; 02-23-2008 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-23-2008, 01:04 PM

240 posts, read 1,065,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_gordon View Post
Well, shoot, we'll just have to try them both.
Where is Mays?

Following what you are saying about breweries, we'd seen pix of Brewer's Alley, which looks like fun. Wild Goose is good!

We don't like the sweet wines, more into dry. Hubby likes dry, tart stuff, preferably white. I love Italian non-oaked Chardonnay or spicy Riesling.

Beer: We never got to love the wheat beers, so just "normal" stuff, and good ol' Merkun food works great with that.

This is great, thanks!

Edge
Mays is on 355. Its very yummy. It's right before Easterns Automotive.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:22 AM

Found a blog on just this subject:
Frederick Foodie

Enjoy!

Edge Gordon

Old 04-03-2008, 12:34 PM

Well, we're here and I have to say it's quite nice. So far our fave restaurant is Callahan's on Rosemont. Best fried oysters EVAR! We also tried Bonefish. Nice wine list, decent food, but it's still a soulless chain. Expensive, too.
When our car finally floats into Baltimore, we'll have more options.
Any opinions on the best German restaurant?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:24 PM

385 posts, read 1,920,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_gordon View Post
1. Where would you go to find ingredients like saffron threads, black cumin and cucurma? Asian or ethnic grocery, farmer's market?

2. Best wine shop? I see wineries in the area. Good local wine?

3. Best local beer?

4. Best local (no Starbucks, I don't own stock) coffee shop?

5. Best local fish market? (Maryland oyster & crab! yum!)

Thanks ya'll!

Edge
1 > Don't know.

2+3> I've found Ye Olde Spirit Shoppe on 7th Street, Fredrick has the best selection of good local beer and wine. Lots of microbrews, a good wine selection and good spirits (like good scotches and tequilas).

Local wine is too syrupy for my personal tastes. Linganore/Berrywine Plantations is a nice place to go on a wine tour and a picnic, not so hot on their wine though. There are other wineries in the area too. My favorite 'local' wine is from Horton vineyards, it is called Horton Norton and it is made from the native Norton grape. However, you'd have to drive to Northern Virginia (not too far away) to purchase it... Maryland has weird wine import laws-many small local out of state wineries don't sell in Maryland because of it.

4> The only local coffee shop I'm familiar with is Market Street Cafe on N Market Street (I live near, not in Frederick and I generally don't go to coffee shops to get coffee). The feel is really nice, with local artist paintings and artwork and used books to read. Can't recall anything special about the coffee though.

5> Don't know. I could tell you more about central Maryland fish markets than western Maryland fish markets. There are several local farmers markets in the area (I've seen them advertized), I don't remember where though.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:02 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,877 times
Default Rita's [custard]

A fun place that's been around a long time is Rita's, at the point where W. Patrick splits into one-way streets. It's kind of an old-fashioned, ice-cream place, where you order through the window. Very popular in the summer. The custard only comes in three flavors though, so we're not talking Wisconsin!

http://www.ritasice.com/

Old 04-19-2008, 04:42 PM

Default VietNOMese food

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2boys37 View Post
Lucky Corner is Vietnamese (corner of market and 7th) and there is a Greek restaurant off of Jefferson Street.
You were dead on. Great place!
We shared summer rolls, chicken skewers and a big bowl of pho. It was all wonderful, as was the service. We'll be back!

Thanks!

Edge

Old 04-19-2008, 04:58 PM

After three weeks in Frederick, we're starting to know what you're talking about. We tried LaPaz for Mexican, and were underwhelmed. With that location, you could sell library paste for too much money. After two margaritas, it all tastes the same.

The seafood at the grocery stores is superb. My inlander mentality leads me to think that I need to go somewhere special for seafood. 8-)
It is a bit odd that you have to go to a liquor store to buy any kind of booze. They don't sell it in the grocery as in most other places I've been.
I agree about local wines being too syrupy. Or too astringent. What is it about local wine that makes it more expensive than wine from Australia? Makes no sense.
Local beer (Clipper City, Flying Dog, Brewer's Alley) all quite good.
The coffee shop there at Shab Row is suberb, and Nola is nice.
Tajitu was great. We tried Athens.. no, it's not Greek. Interestingly, it's Halal food. The shrimp shawarma was great.
We drove by Mays, and we'll pop in there once we get our car, hopefully next week.
The bus has been taking us downtown on Saturdays (doesn't run Sundays?!?) and we've walked or biked everywhere else. The landlady lent us her car last week, which is how we got to Athen.

We'll try Cacique for Mexican food next time.

-Edge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick