Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,026 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are new to the school system in Frederick Maryland and we are considering both Urbana H.S. and Gov. Thomas Johnson H.S. Would love some honest feedback on both schools. Potentially we're interested in the Academy of Fine Arts at TJ or the IB program at Urbana.

Again, would love to hear your honest reviews about both schools. I know what the published stats say about test scores, socioeconomic make up of the student body - but what about things like drugs, bullying, cliques, quality of teachers, sense of community, inclusiveness etc.

thanks so much -

Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 04:50 PM

7,050 posts, read 11,350,226 times
Urbana is best considered Montgomery County north, it is a mostly commuter suburban community. The Gov'na is a school that draws kids from Frederick city limits; a more mixed bag in terms of race, income level, economic class, etc.

I don't know enough to recommend one over the other, but my BILs went to Urbana and had zero problems there and were well prepared for college.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:00 PM

122 posts, read 170,087 times
My granddaughter graduated from Urbana - the IB program. Also played sports there. Never heard a complaint from her or her parents. She had a full tuition academic scholarship for college.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:33 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,116,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hello,

We are new to the school system in Frederick Maryland and we are considering both Urbana H.S. and Gov. Thomas Johnson H.S. Would love some honest feedback on both schools. Potentially we're interested in the Academy of Fine Arts at TJ or the IB program at Urbana.

Again, would love to hear your honest reviews about both schools. I know what the published stats say about test scores, socioeconomic make up of the student body - but what about things like drugs, bullying, cliques, quality of teachers, sense of community, inclusiveness etc.

thanks so much -

Donna
When you say you are considering one over the other do you mean you are considering living in the attendance area for one or the other. I ask because some people think they can choose which school they go to no matter which district they live in. It used to be fairly easy to get an 'out of district waiver' in Frederick county but it has tightened up in the last 5 years or so.

Both schools have some of the widest range of courses of any Frederick County high schools. As I have said many times before the big differences in the education your child gets is the amount of parental involvement. The kids who have concerned and involved parents will do very well in either school.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:09 PM

122 posts, read 170,087 times
You don't have to live in Urbana district for your child to attend their IB program. But he/she has to qualify and be admitted to the program. If that does happen I believe the parents are responsible for transportation to and from school daily. I know my daughter was in a carpool with other parents.

I would imagine the Fine Arts Academy at TJ would work the same way as they are programs not offered at every school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
View detailed profiles of: