Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,360,805 times

Advertisements

Stan, double edge shavers and blades are widely available on the web, just run a search and you will get endless results. You would likely have to find an overpriced specialty shaving store to buy one "off the shelf" at a brick and mortal retail store. Although they cost more than the big brand shavers at Target or Walmart, the savings on double edge blades will make up the difference in a short time. The "all metal" heavy duty double edge shavers will likely outlast the owner. None of the double edge shavers are made in the US. The "Parker" brand is good, made in India, and is the brand that I bought. Merkur brand is also good, made in Germany, but of course costs a bit more too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
I use an electric shaver. Seems pretty cheap to me, $100 cost to buy and you replace the head every 2 years for around $50. My last one lasted 6 years and I actually never even replaced the heads. I only bought a new one because it was either replace the head for $50 or buy a new unit with new technology for $100.

The convenience is great, I can shave while walking my dog, gives me another 5 minutes in morning.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:37 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,835 times
The big advantage of using the double-edge razor is that the blades are so cheap, you can afford to switch blades every 3-4 shaves. Don't bother about trying to keep it sharp by running it inside of a water glass.

A fairly new trick for keeping cartridge blades sharp: "strop" it using your forearm, running it opposite to how the blade cuts, every time you use it. Check out You-tube for videos. That and dry the blade after using appears to extend their life.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:22 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
I think that in the days when a straight razor was the only way, beards were more popular.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:34 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I think that in the days when a straight razor was the only way, beards were more popular.
They just take practice.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 PM

45 posts, read 143,395 times
I grew a beard to reduce the number of square facial inches that actually need to be shaved. Just a little area on each cheek and a strip across the bottom of my neck is all that I need to shave. My blades last virtually forever.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
I use the throwaway razors, and I can usually find a pack of them at about half price, or maybe 50c per razor. I can probably get 10 shaves out of one, and I shave every 2 or 3 days, depending on how often I go out in public. So, I might start a new razor every month, or about 2c a day. I've tried the women's razors, which are usually cheaper---smaller and only double blades, but I've never counted to see if I get just as many shaves out of them.

I just lather up with the same Mexican bar soap (Zote) that I use for shower and shampoo, it costs about a dollar a pound in Mexico, and it's the same pure unscented soap that you buy at craft fairs for two dollars an ounce.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:41 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,514 times
I switched from a $100 self-cleaning lemon/alcohol drenched Braun electric to a double-edge razor, brush and cream. I have no clue why I ran a thrashing lawnmower over my face for so many years, but I'm glad I switched because my face is smoother than ever and my skin is bump-free and never irritated. I swear I'll never touch an electric razor again. If I ever get too old to shave myself, I'll either have a barber hook me up from time to time or I'll just go ZZ Top 'til I die.

Right now I'm getting a kick out of trying out all these funky shaving creams on the market: Truefitt & Hill, Proraso, êShave, etc. I actually look forward to shaving every morning now.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,193 times
i shave in the shower along with useing the blade about 2 months before i get rid of it ..i have tried the socalled double edges blades but it just not for me ..

i use a Gillitte Fusion razor for the face and a philip neva for men electric razor for head and yes i know it two diff shaveing system ..the electric shaver is really great for my head and it no longer getting nicked and cut up as with a regular blade unit just use the bald guy pre-scub in the shower and wash it off and lather up with the bald guys shaveing cream and iam good to go along with face shave in about 10 mins total in the shower from start to finish

Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,022 times
Default old style shavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I am guessing that most people that shave with razor blades and shaving creme or soap are using the big brand cartridge blades and metal cans of foamy creme or gel. The past few years I've been using an old school double edge shaving razor along with a shaving brush and jar of shaving soap. This type of razor uses the double edge blades that are a wafer thin rectangle that drops right into the razor handle "clamshell", then you rotate the end of the handle to close the clamshell to secure the razor into place. The shaving brush is dipped in warm water and swirled around in the jar of shaving soap to create a nice lather that is brushed over the skin to be shaved. Works great, nice and smooth, doesn't leave a residue on the skin.

Compared to the many cartridge shaving blades, the double edge system gives a better shave (IMO). No "multiple passes" over the same spot needed. It takes a bit of practice and care for the first 3 or 4 times. The double edge razor is much heavier than those plastic big brand cartridge shavers and you have to avoid putting much pressure on it. You let the weight of the double edge shaver do the work, and it's fine.

Most cartridge blade systems are expensive - $1 per blade is pretty common. Those cans of foamy gel or creme are not exactly cheap, and seems like they don't last very long. And then another can goes into the landfill. My jar of shaving soap seems like it lasts forever. I have a jar that is a year old and barely half way gone. OK, I'm lazy and don't shave every day, but the jar of shaving soap seems to last forever.

Double edge blades are silly inexpensive, a fraction of the cost of big brand cartridges. Why? Much of the big brand cartridge cost is in marketing and packaging. Double edge blades are in much smaller packages, and generally are not marketed. Double edge blades are easy to clean too, just drop them out of the clamshell razor, hold them by the outer edge under water and there's no buildup of shaving creme at all. To get a new blade shave from a blade that's been used many times, I take a q-tip and put a drop of mineral oil on the blade and wipe off all the sharp edges. Makes the blade last easily for 6 to 10 shaves, but this will vary by person depending on how the blade is used. Any one else like the double edge shavers?
The double edge shaver works perfect for me. I picked up some used ones from consignment shops in Oregon a number of years ago. I get the blades from 99 cent stores. I do use the canned shaving creqm though.
sk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living