Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm not too sure how to title this, or even how to word it.

Does being frugal make you anxious? I try to pinch every penny, and do a pretty good job, but find myself oftentimes having almost panic attacks while in the process. Is it possible to overdo it?

I clip coupons, chase sales, stock up on bargains, track my gas mileage, time showers and wash machine use, all that good stuff.

At times, I find it so overhwelming I get so nervous I can't function. I mean, has anyone else had that feeling of dread clipping coupons, etc?

Of course,the obvious answer would be you would be more anxious spending money than saving it, and I agree, in principle. But sometimes the whole budget thing just really gets to me. No, I don't go out and "binge". I'm always "frugal" with the money, seldom do we go overboard. I guess just living your life in a sensible manner is what pays off in the long run, tracking every penny sometimes backfires in the emotional toll it takes.

Anyone else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 10:01 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
How long have you been trying to be frugal? Once it becomes a part of your daily routine, it shouldn't require too much mental effort.

Sometimes it can be a bit tedious, but knowing you're saving money and spending wisely makes it worth it.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:22 PM

720 posts, read 3,008,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Does being frugal make you anxious? I try to pinch every penny, and do a pretty good job, but find myself oftentimes having almost panic attacks while in the process. Is it possible to overdo it?

I clip coupons, chase sales, stock up on bargains, track my gas mileage, time showers and wash machine use, all that good stuff.

At times, I find it so overhwelming I get so nervous I can't function. I mean, has anyone else had that feeling of dread clipping coupons, etc?

Of course,the obvious answer would be you would be more anxious spending money than saving it, and I agree, in principle. But sometimes the whole budget thing just really gets to me. No, I don't go out and "binge". I'm always "frugal" with the money, seldom do we go overboard. I guess just living your life in a sensible manner is what pays off in the long run, tracking every penny sometimes backfires in the emotional toll it takes.

I can kinda sympasize with you. WHen I actually really start figuring out where my money goes every month and budgeting its kind of stressful realizing you dont have as much money as you thought, realizing how much money you waste, etc.

Keep in mind however that just the fact that your concious of how your spending your money and where its going to more responsible than most people and also putting yourself in a better situation.

I think this board is really helpful I get some good tips from it. I've just been reading this frugal section the past few days but enjoy it and find some good tips.

To each his own not knocking anyone els'es way of doing things if it works for them but in my personal opinoin some people go way overboard.

I thin like anything else in life do it in moderation. Keep an eye on what you spend your money on. Try to make the most of your money but its okay to splurge on things now and again if they make you happy. Also, again my personal opinion but when you start doign things like washing ziplock bags that strikes me as neurotic. The time and energy and water your spending outweighs what the money your saving on bags, its just not worth it.

My personal opinion is be smart with your money, buy on sales, dont waste money but dont go overboard.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
I wonder what normal people think when they stumble across this forum.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:39 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,402,645 times
Balance in everything. If your particular habits are causing anxiety then obviously you need to relax and think of your options. Do you feel unreasonably guilty if you don't "perform" like some one or some mindset thinks you should? This is not good.

I say be reasonably thrifty using what ever tricks work for you without sliding into OCD behavior. All this anxiety will affect your health which is first of all, not what you want and secondly, not frugal! Lighten up on yourself.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:21 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,817,205 times
I dread the process of clipping coupons and organizing them. It feels good to use them and see the money come off my bill, but I still find the process a pain in the butt!

Being frugal is great but sometimes the pressure to save every little penny gets too much. I would be mindful of what you are spending but timing every little expense can get to you. Take a break or at least give yourself a little reward for being frugal. And keep in mind you are human. Sometimes you need to spend a little and spoil yourself. No one is perfect.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:20 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,078,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

I'm no professional, that's for sure- but the way you describe the panic attacks I would wonder if maybe it's what's behind being frugal that makes you panicky, you know? Because we are all trying to be frugal, cut corners, etc., I think we all sense that either there A. isn't enough "things" and "time" to do what needs to be done, or B. won't be enough in the future to see us through, so to speak.

Unfortunately, I have no advice as far as what to do about it, heck, I panic too, but not to the degree that you describe yours- mine is more a matter of being overwhelmed by the enormity of what needs to be done, and sort of "floundering", lol.

Sometimes when you panic, it helps to stop and really think about what you were thinking about immediately prior to the panic attack- not easy to do sometimes, because we all have a tendency to be thinking subconsciously about things that we aren't aware of at any given time, but which our body is "recording" so to speak, and reacting to with a nice shot of adrenaline, which brings on a panic attack. It helps sometimes to sort of talk to yourself reasonably once you realize what the thought is that is making you panic, and to also realize that panicking can be a normal reaction to what your mind is perceiving as "danger", and reacting with a "fight or flight" response= the adrenaline.

Good grief, all I'm missing is a bald head, glasses, a bad suit, notebook, pencil, and a chair to sit in while I nod and listen- LOL

Old 09-04-2010, 08:30 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
I have been frugal my entire life. It comes pretty normal to me not to waste huge sums of money and try to beat the Jones's next door.

My father was frugal as well and I grew up poor. So he used coupons and I did for a time but in the last 10 years , no.

Never had the excesses that some kids had. Some things will always bother me like not having the coolest new clothes in high school. Not being able to afford things.

But the Gen X generation is used to hearing Yes to everything they desire. I think its a good idea to put boudaries on spending otherwise a sense of entitlement prevails.

I don't feel stressed going to the store and finding the best bargain. I find it enlightening.

I see alot of ppl are now trying to cut corners since the economy stifled. For those of us who had a jump start on learning how to spend less , I think we will weather this better than those who are having a hard time adjusting to the new America.

I saw a video last night. Guy was making $130,000 a yr and now is making $ 30,000 a year and asked with anguish " When am I going to get my old job back , my money and my life are no longer the same ! " Wake up. This IS the new economy. As soon as he realizes it will take YEARS to get back where he used to be , the better for him. That is the new reality . It will take years for alot of things to come back , housing , jobs , economy.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:28 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,152,178 times
For me the idea of being frugal is to have money to do the things that you want. What do you want?

Can you not meet your bills? Is that why you are timing showers? If you can meet your bills why put yourself in that situation? Every once in a while a long hot shower does wonders for the soul, enjoy them.

I quit using coupons a while ago. First, there wasn't many coupons for the things I currently purchase. Second, I found places where I could get what I wanted cheaply. Third, I'm no longer feeding 7 people. It's the third one that I think relates closer to you. There was a time that couponing provided the savings needed to do other things we wanted to do. Now, it's not the case so I don't do it - not to say I don't flip through the flyers, or I don't use any, but nothing like I did a few years ago.

If doing what you are doing is causing stress, then you need to rethink it. Or find a different way of doing it. I used to have the children cut all the coupons, do you have someone else who would cut the coupons for you? Could you do it while watching tv? Then sort them later? Could you do a simplier filing system? (I know some who have them by dates, brands etc. I just put all tomato products in one envelope, all paper in another...real simple, no stress- very little time spent)

Think about what you want, and how you want to get there. If not cutting that 25 cent coupon isn't going to get you there, then quit doing it. Or is there another way to save the 25 cents that's not as stressful for you?

Old 09-04-2010, 11:43 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
I think sometimes the frugality bit over emphasizes our financial situation, that's why I panic (or almost panic). a penny saved is a penny earned, to be sure, but when you're tied up in knots thinking about those pennies, well...........is it truly worth it?

I do find coupons to be of value for the 2x and 3x days at krogers, also, you can really score big time if you follow CVS. I try to find items on sale, then apply my coupons and CVS bucks. I've made some great deals that way. But usually I find chasing coupons to be not only a waste of time and gas, but not always the best prices, either.

I know there's a lot of debates about places like Costco, butI find if I just shop there, I'm getting consistent low prices. Perhaps I could have found TP on sale that day for less elsewhere, but on a consistent basis, I'm content to know I've gotten a good price, let it go.

You can't win 'em all. Just last week, we had a funeral to attend, we all needed some items to wear, I couldn't shop the sales, coupons, etc, I just had to spend full price, got just a few items, a black shirt for ds, a gray top for dd, both were $12 each. Ok, that's not a fortune, and we simply didn't have time to shop. but it created so much anxiety. I kept thinking I could have done so much better if I waited for sales, shopped Goodwill, etc. But it was one of those times you simply can't make pinching the pennies a priority. Plus the shirts can be used for other ocassions, its not like a use once item.

But it created so much anxiety. Usually I find my best clothing buys at Macy's. If you catch their sales, early bird sales, and newspaper coupons, I've gotten nice, designer label clothes for $2-$3. but instead of simply being happy with my purchases, then every time I shop for clothes, I get anxious if I can't duplicate such deals. Like, that becomes the limit, I'm somehow "failing" if I spend more.

Lets face it, our finances aren't going to be redeemed if we find a great 3x coupon day, sometimes it just isn't worth the hassle. What is eating our lunch is carrying two housing payments. We had to move for dh job, are currently renting our home, our previous home was listed for sale for a long time with no takers. its currently listed for rent, still, no offers, although we've done everything to market it, lowered the price 3x. We're hoping there will be interest over the long weekend that will result in an offer, if not, we will have to lower the rent to less than our carrying costs, just to have something, and even then we might not attract a renter. That's what's creating the anxiety, all the 3x coupons in the world won't make up for that cash outflow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living