Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever purchased Walmart's "Great Value" brand?
Yes, I have purchased the "Great Value" brand and like it. 40 75.47%
I have purchased the "Great Value" brand and do not like it. 3 5.66%
No, I have never purchased the "Great Value" brand. 6 11.32%
I prefer a private-label brand from another retailer. 4 7.55%
I would never buy private-label, it's brand-names only for me! 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:39 AM

275 posts, read 396,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Be careful, Wal-Mart can trick you on price assumptions.

Great Value(Wal-Mart) Canola Oil is more expensive than Wesson (name brand). At least it was last year when I was standing there comparing cost and size and product. As I was evaluating, I watched 2 different customers grab the Great Value brand and place in their cart, without checking price of the other brands. They probably assumed Great Value was the best value, but it was not in that case.

OT sligthly....but last week I bought some Wisk laundry detergent at Wal-Mart. The 32 load bottle cost the same per ounce as the 64 oz bottle of same Wisk product(This was our first time to try it because Consumer Reports just rated it #1 in their new issue). My spouse grabbed the larger 64 load bottle and placed in the cart, assuming it was the better value....as you normally would expect. We ended up buying smaller 32 load bottle, since there was zero cost savings in buying the larger bottle, and this is the first time using the product.

We later checked prices at another store and the same 64 load larger bottle was a better value versus buying the 32 load bottle.

Nothing was on sale in any of the above scenarios.
This is very true! After seeing an article last year, I started taking a close look at the costs per ounce of many items at WM and other stores and found exactly what you state.
I have severely curtained my shopping at Wal-Mart over the past six or eight months. In the wake of the big hoop-la over Wal-mart's supposed new found focus on local organic and "healthy" products, I started seeing increases in price among many WM products. For my self, these increases offset the "savings" from other items. With a little judicious shopping, I can find products at my local Lowes grocery and Target that are just as cheap as Wal-mart, sometimes even cheaper. There are a couple of items I will get at Wal-Mart, but I just stop there if I happen to be driving by. I limit my purchases to those specific items and get the rest of what I need from other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 07:46 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1962 View Post
The Walmart GV barbecue and sour cream/onion chips are superior to Lay's, in the opinion of my husband, who fancies himself quite the chip expert.

We prefer the GV brand of light buttermilk ranch dressing to Hidden Valley Ranch Light.

The GV brand of instant oatmal is just as good as Quaker, and the GV brand of traditional spaghetti sauce is quite tasty, and is saving me a lot of money vs. buying our previous favorite, Ragu.

GV fat free chocolate and vanilla ice creams are also favorites in my house.
I also get the GV pasta sauces, and the Alfredo- both are actually better than the popular brands. We also get their instant oatmeal, salsa, tortilla chips, ice cream- very good prices & just as good as the other brands.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:04 PM

524 posts, read 843,773 times
we have giant foods here in maryland and I generally like their store brands. I will buy name brands if they are on special and I can get gas points. If I can earn 40 cents a gallon off my gas at shell it makes it worth it to shop at giant

Old 10-18-2011, 04:13 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
You can save quite a bit on the Equate version of OTC medicines, like cough syrup, tylenol, cold meds, etc. IMO, they are the same, sometimes 1/4/ the price of the brand name.
i have no problem with most equate products, but their caffeine pills are useless.

if you want discount caffeine products, jet-alert actually works.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:30 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
In most cases GV beats or exceeds name brands.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
I generally only buy GV brown sugar and milk on most runs. Though, I wish Costco in our area would have the 4lb bags of brown sugar I used to buy back in our old state. They only have brown sugar here in 25lb bags. I have nothing to store that much brown sugar in. So I just buy the GV brown sugar. Milk I also buy at Costco, but I generally only go to Costco once a month and Wal-Mart is closer. Milk costs the same either way.

I had to stock the medicine cabinet recently and I bought mostly Equate items. But that is like a once a year deal.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:22 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I just finished eating a 1.5qt of GV Cookies and Cream ice cream. If you compare it to the name brands, the difference is this: the cookie chunks were larger, and it wasn't as creamy. But for $1.50 less, I still enjoyed eating it.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
I much prefer Target & Target brand over Walmart / Walmart brand for most items.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:36 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
their sodas are disgusting

Old 06-04-2012, 11:42 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I read labels and buy a fair amount of organic items. IF Great Value has preservatives, and additives -- which a lot of cheap items do -- I don't buy those items. It's an item by item thing.

I buy Great Value bottled spring water.
That's about the only thing I can think of that I buy of Walmart's house brand.

I'm also wary of some things being TOO cheap.
For example Great Value paper towels just are NOT the quality of Brawny or Bounty. There's just no way around that. They're not. I'd rather pay more for better quality.

I've never bought Great Value trash bags -- but that's another item that I want quality. To pay less for a trash bag that's thin or has the draw string break out of the casing isn't for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living