Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:04 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I never thought this thread would turn out to be so hilarious. A $60 a month pet-food bill is saving you money in the long run because it keeps your vet bills down to only $1500? And that's only one of your pets? How much money do all your pets save you, altogether?
You didn't ask me, but I'll answer. I used to feed my animals the cheap food ($20/bag) before I knew better. Constant vet bills ($35/visit + medications) with loose poops, constipation, coughing, lethargic and vomiting. (at least 2 visits a month) Not to mention was going through 2-3 bags a month. Now I know better, they get a much higher quality food (Orijen) the bag costs me about $75, same size as the $20 dollar one. The bag lasts nearly 2 months, because I don't have to feed as much. They no longer have issues that need a vets attention 2 times a month. So actually by buying the more expensive bag of food I'm saving quite a bit. I'm saving about $850 a year, not counting the cost of medications, because that always varied quite a bit, anywhere from $5 - $70 a month, depending on what the problem was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,780 times
Quote:
I guess I started this thread with the idea that a pet is an expensive luxury, that could be relinquished in the interest of the frugal objective of reducing one's cost of living.

We see people on here who have given up their car to reduce costs. Has anyone ever given up a pet as a cost-saving measure? Or does everyone regard their pet as a life necessity, like food and shelter?
My pets are not life necessities. They're here because they ended up with me. I'd rather not have as many as I do, but it's not their fault they exist and that they couldn't continue living in their previous situations. They certainly do not deserve death or even the upheaval of "rehoming" (which equals death, either directly, or indirectly as in another pet who could have had that home now dies in a shelter in its place).

I don't think living beings who rely on human care can be relinquished.

Frugality ends where life is concerned. It's not my favorite thing to be paying for pets I need more than one hand to count, but it's got to be done. I feel that I'm reasonable about their costs - I do vaccines myself, the majority of their upkeep is food, and I don't run to the vet for every little thing. But if they need vet care, they get it. If they need a home where I'm allowed to have as many as I do, well, that's the biggest reason I bought a house.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Jasper is an only cat, therefore, he is spoiled. But, yes, pets are expensive. I have heard of people getting rid of dogs because they lost their jobs and can't afford them, I don't get it, you can get dog food at the food bank.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 AM

143 posts, read 374,703 times
Quote:
I never thought this thread would turn out to be so hilarious. A $60 a month pet-food bill is saving you money in the long run because it keeps your vet bills down to only $1500? And that's only one of your pets? How much money do all your pets save you, altogether?

Feeding the pet quality food *prevents* going to the vet and spending $1500.

Kind of like if you eat McDonald's and mac and cheese to 'save money' and then end up going to the emergency room for a heart attack and have to take expensive medicine for years ... OR eat healthy and avoid those problems entirely!

Change your oil on time at $40 a pop (or do it yourself) ... OR put it off for 60,000 miles and then blow a gasket and destroy your engine.

Etc.

I feed my dog the best I can afford right now (which is actually the Costco brand food, nutritionally similar to the mid-quality food Nature's Recipe, with the membership + price of food coming out to be less than Nature's Recipe at petco). One 40 lb pag ever 2 months or so, plus heartworm and flea preventative (about $12/month total), plus a bath (a $12 bottle of shampoo lasts us nearly a year). Those are needs, for him.

For treats, I give him little bits of broccoli or melon or whatever I am cutting up, though I do wait, and give it to him out of the kitchen, etc. Plus I do cheap out and buy, with sales and coupons, those various gross soft 'bacon' strips or whatever. Although I just found really high-quality dry biscuits in bulk for only $4/lb at a local store, so that is nice. For toys ... I scour clearance sections or pick up stuffies at thrift stores. I never ever pay more than $1 for a toy for him. At dog.com last year, I scored a sweet clearance - these little squeakie toys were a dime each! I bought all they would let me order, a dozen or so, and he's just now on his last one.

Would I get rid of my dog to save money? Absolutely not. He improves my health, he provides me with endless amounts of entertainment and amusement, and he is a little space heater in the winter.

And oh yeah - that whole responsibility thing - when I adopted him from the shelter, I made a promise that I would care for him and do whatever needed to make sure he was healthy and comfortable. If it got to a point where I was so poor I could not afford to feed him, then the most responsible thing to do would be to find him a person that could. But really, I would cut other expenses first ... how many people get rid of their pet before their cable? That would never happen in my house.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:23 AM

17 posts, read 25,222 times
Quote:
He wasn't eating the $60 food when he got sick. Eating this food now is keeping him from getting sick again, so I don't have to deal with another $1500 bill.

And since this is the way you feel about pets, I sincerely hope you don't have any.

ETA: Thanks, notfriedkasei and molochai -- You said it better than me.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:58 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
I am very pleased that there are people who care enough for animals to spend the time and money that you all do. I wonder, how many of you have children that you are still paying out for? The reason I ask is that it seems most of the people that I meet who value their animals as if they were human, do not have children at home or have never had children. Not saying all, but a lot.

I also agree that people need to be made aware of the fact that pets are more than just "cute".

Different strokes for different folks, though, and there are those that would rather spend their resources helping children and old folks and there are those who would rather a pet. Thank goodness for the differences. Makes for a more well rounded universe. Sadly, there is neglect and abuse in both the animal and human kingdom.

I would like to think that if I suddenly could not provide for my children, that I would be unselfish enough to find them the proper loving homes and people to do that. Again, as was said in an earlier post, you need to plan for future possibilities of that. Many animal owners do not as they think that they would just get rid of them.

Thank you for all the blessed souls out there who are caregivers for animals and humans. I do not think that one should be thought of as lower or higher for choosing.

To the OP: I am frugal with my children and my animal. But after reading this thread, I do not feel as if I am a good enough owner for my pet, so I hope to find someone else who will be. Thank you for enlightening me to that.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
The reason I ask is that it seems most of the people that I meet who value their animals as if they were human, do not have children at home or have never had children. Not saying all, but a lot.
I don't have children, don't plan to either and I have a dog. Gosh, I love my dog, he needs me and I need him and he is a bit less expensive than having a child. There are some folks who feel very satisfied with having children but I feel very satisfied with having my dog, a miniature schnauzer to be exact. He has sweaters, toys, eats Costco kibble and I make sure to keep him healthy just like any mom would do.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:27 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
i have to say like a lot of you i do spend the money on good high end dog food..my dog is a small chihuahua he about 2.pds soaking wet if that ..so the price of feeding him is not really bad ..when i got him he had his shots and was fixed so a lot of the socalled health problems have not yet come into play yet..

his does have his sweaters or jackets for when it cold outside and a couple of toys ..my biggest thing is his puppy pads that i keep in a small rubbermaid tote for him to go to the bathroom in ..he goes about three times a day in them when iam go out of the house.. i keep the tv turned to a cable channel i think he watchs when iam not home ..his food is good high end dog food with a mixture of dry and wet type in his bowel along with fresh water everyday ..i feed him in the mornings when i get up and put the food into his bowel when i leave for work and when i come home i put food into his bowel for the time i sleep ..he eat most of the food when iam gone to work or when iam home from home it when iam sleeping does he really goes and eats ..

i would skip going out to lunch somewhere so he could have a better food for him to keep him alert and happy along with haveing pet ins for the vets bills that will come up ..

Old 10-06-2010, 11:38 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
my vet gives him his heartworm meds when i take him to be groomed for he a short hair dog and i do get him washed and shampoo once a month along with haveing toenail clipperd ..he give this look like you going to let her do that to me you do not love do you..as the shots it up to local vet i go to about any shot i think he need ..

after the wash and shampoo and toe nail clipping he good to go like ok you love but do i have to have a bath once a month look..

Old 10-06-2010, 02:58 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I would never dream in giving up my pet, I would opt to give up the cell phone or cable before that. We go to a Holistic Vet and we barter here, she gets her Rabies shot every 3 yrs. and regular checkups yearly and I make h/m Italian food for the office, on birthdays & Holidays. Our Vet does not believe in any shots other than Rabies after your dog is 3, he has waived the other shots, believing that giving them will shorten her life. Teeth cleaned once a year. She has been on Solid Gold Holistic Blendz food since birth (she is now 6), and as others have said, she eats less. No corn, wheat or rye in the food--promotes allergies. Vitamins 2x a day for Arthritis (which she developed after dislocating her kneecap), 6 mos. of Acupuncture after that happened, still less expensive than the $3,000 operation. Grooming every 6-8 wks. $40 + $20 tip, and yes, lots of toys at Christmas & her birthday, when she sees us walking in the house with a bag & tissue paper she assumes it is a new present for her, and she is usually right. She had an out of the house trainer when she was 6 mos. old for 6 weeks.

The unconditional love that she gives us is priceless. The house would be sold before she was given away.
I agree, our dogs give us unconditional love and we would not think of ever EVER giving them up. I will live in my car before I will give up my pets.
They get good food, a treat now and then, and the three dogs have more toys than my sons ever had, lol..they get a vitamin every day also. We are not wealthy, but give up a pet of ours, never!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living