Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:28 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
You have never lived until you fill a whole freezer FULL of those little, minature, frozen chicken-type animals (kitternish game hennys????) that have been marked down to 1/3 original price.
Eww. I'm going to guess that you're sarcastic and I just can't tell through the interweb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Not all frugal people "chose" to be frugal. Some, like me, were raised by depression-era parents, and frugality was the only lifestyle we knew. Spending money needlessly or heedlessly went against the grain, and you don't get over it, even when you have enough money to do so.

Even billionaires turn the lights off when they leave the room. For some people, this occupies a higher level of consciousness than others.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:41 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
I don't know, I think this is a personal concept, but being frugal does not mean living poorly, it means living within one's means and buying what one needs or what is priced right, and understanding the true value of things.

My grandparents were humble people, so I was raised as not to be wasteful, but that does not mean being cheap. I was raised to spend wisely and save for a rainy day if possible.

For example, some people feel great financing a 500K or 1M home ("homeowner"), and I am by no means criticizing them, to each their own.

As for me, even if I had a huge salary, I could never buy something that would take a 25 or 30-year commitment (within which I had to be making top salary or I would lose it). I either pay it in full, commit to a (much) shorter term or buy something I can pay with a modest/feasible salary.
So I guess it doesn't matter how much money I could possibly make, I would always have that "what if I lose my job/get sick" thought in the back of my mind. This is not a matter of being pessimistic, it is a matter of being realistic.

Not every rich person spends money like crazy. If one grows up with money, one does not value flashy bling or cars, for example, bc those things were simple/easy choices and really didn't matter much.
The ones who like flashy stuff are usually those who were either seriously spoiled from an early age "what one wants, one gets" or those who saw money later in life and want to compensate for a poor life they had before.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Eww. I'm going to guess that you're sarcastic and I just can't tell through the interweb.
Hahaha, no silly......I am talking about those tiny little chickens.....very good and sometimes you can get them on sale.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:18 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Hahaha, no silly......I am talking about those tiny little chickens.....very good and sometimes you can get them on sale.

little chicks... like peeps?

What's so great about being frugal?-peeps.jpg

Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
little chicks... like peeps?

Attachment 79843
They sell them frozen, tiny little chicken-type animals....you cook and eat them.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
To me, frugality is not about not spending any money. Frugality is about not being wasteful.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:42 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
They sell them frozen, tiny little chicken-type animals....you cook and eat them.

Good Lord.

They're called Cornish Game Hens.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
To me, frugality is not about not spending any money. Frugality is about not being wasteful.
Right. Being wasteful is hard to define though. Spending money on things you want is not wasteful.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:08 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
As for me, even if I had a huge salary, I could never buy something that would take a 25 or 30-year commitment (within which I had to be making top salary or I would lose it). I either pay it in full, commit to a (much) shorter term or buy something I can pay with a modest/feasible salary.
So I guess it doesn't matter how much money I could possibly make, I would always have that "what if I lose my job/get sick" thought in the back of my mind. This is not a matter of being pessimistic, it is a matter of being realistic.
I agree with this and I've lived like this. Only problem is, times have changed and the thinking process I've always operated under has changed too. Case in point - when I bought my first house - I could have bought a better house but instead bought less and did a horrendous commute to the city to try to get ahead. I had just enough of a mortgage so that if worse came to worst, I could flip burgers and still make the mortgage. Now that getting a job flipping burgers isn't even a certainty I can no longer think this way. I think that is why being frugal is even more important.

Plus, as Jtur says above, some of us did not choose this thinking, rather it was ingrained in us via our depression era parents. That applies in my case as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living