Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Last time I home brewed was 2 years ago. $40 of ingredients yielded 90 bottles. Maybe a few bucks more including the yeasts and hops. If you were to buy 3 dirty 30's of PBR here, it would cost you around $45 bucks. I don't know what the current cost of ingredients are today, but I can imagine they are more expensive.

So your saving very little, if anything price wise compared to cheap beer. But if you enjoy high quality beer, this is a value route. What your saving in money, your loosing in time. Since it is a hobby though, many don't mind the time spent.
You're comparing brewing to an expensive way to buy beer. Someone looking to save money isn't going to buy bottled beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:19 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Last time I home brewed was 2 years ago. $40 of ingredients yielded 90 bottles. Maybe a few bucks more including the yeasts and hops. If you were to buy 3 dirty 30's of PBR here, it would cost you around $45 bucks. I don't know what the current cost of ingredients are today, but I can imagine they are more expensive.

So your saving very little, if anything price wise compared to cheap beer. But if you enjoy high quality beer, this is a value route. What your saving in money, your loosing in time. Since it is a hobby though, many don't mind the time spent.
You must be brewing all grain, andywire. I brew extract, and get about 50 bottles for around that price.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:38 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
i drink alot of PBR, imo, it's a very underrated beer and it has a decent taste for the price

i cant drink natural ice, it rips up my stomach after 3 beers

budweiser is ok, so is coors

busch tastes like urine

old milwawkee is terrible, it is weak and it takes 15 beers just to get a buzz.(not a cheap buy in the 'long' run)

labbat blue is a good and relatively cheap beer, reminds me of a canadian samuel adams

miller high life is terrible, i drink 4 of them and i will automatically vomit and/or have bad diarreah.

i dont drink cheap malt crap like colt 45 or steel reserve anymore, that trash alone will take 5 years off my lifespan

i dont always buy cheap, i love sam adams, especially the seasonal brews. heineken is also high on my list. corona with lime is great. blue moon is my all-time favorite tasting beer

Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
I'll cut someplace else.....I draw the line at only Icehouse in the bottle.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Honestly, I would rather drink no beer, than be drinking cheap beer. Just pass me the ice water.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:51 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
My favorite beer is $11.00 a six, or $1.83 each. I can homebrew (usually extract but I have the equip to do all-grain as well) it for around $0.48 each. That's a tremendous savings. A second-favorite beer is around $6.50 a six, or $1.08 each, and it homebrews for around $0.26 each, because we grow the right hops and a farmer down the road grows most of the required grain.

We've owned the brewing equipment at least 7 years, so it's long paid-for - and the chickens love the left-over brewing grains (not the hops, don't feed chickens hops).

I'd just as soon drink regular water than drink the standard American beers - and, speaking of water and frugal, I have one of the soda-makers that uses a CO2 cylinder to make club soda. I'm not sure that, penny-for-penny in the long run, it's really cheaper, BUT I don't have the hassle of bottle deposits and returning bottles.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:02 AM

3 posts, read 2,097 times
When I lived in the Minneapolis area in the late '80's I used to buy beer in returnable bottles for $7.95 for three cases. You read that right! About 11 cents a bottle. I am trying to remember the brand. It started with "S". Anybody remember the popular cheap brand of that era?

Old 05-11-2016, 06:26 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrenocm View Post
When I lived in the Minneapolis area in the late '80's I used to buy beer in returnable bottles for $7.95 for three cases. You read that right! About 11 cents a bottle. I am trying to remember the brand. It started with "S". Anybody remember the popular cheap brand of that era?
Schmidt!

Or Schlitz.

Good ol' Grain Belt and Old Milwaukee were pretty cheap too.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:22 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Or Stroh's

Old 05-11-2016, 08:26 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Beer is one of several exceptions to my normally frugal lifestyle. It's Sam Adams, Bass, Guinness, Sierra Nevada or nothing. I'd rather not drink than drink cheap beer. My other exceptions are coffee, meats and hotel stays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living