Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Our stores have limits depending on the store:
3 like coupons during triples.
10 like coupons during normal doubling.
20 total doubled coupons per day on your store card.
etc.

It not as eeeeeextreme as they imply.
The only store we have here that will double coupons at all is Safeway and then it HAS to be the coupons included in the ads in the paper and generally only on certain days. They MIGHT double manufacturers coupons but I haven't been able to do that yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Southeast here. It's Fry's, because that one has a bank in it, too. Got the little swipetty card, that's where the savings come from. I wouldn't even consider trying to get other stores' specials honored, it's completely self service, and there's one person overseeing dozens of DIY check outs. We also get a ton of fliers in the mail a couple times/week, and with very few exceptions - like signing up for one of the TV sources or coupons for specific restaurants - there just aren't any coupons in them. I've seen the Safeway circulars, and I haven't seen any coupons in them, maybe they have different versions for different areas. But even the specials aren't for things I'd get.

I refuse to sign up for anything that involves emailings - I thought once it would be easier to enter the PCH sweepstakes online. Boyoboy, was I wrong! Apparently they sold my email addy to a jobber, and 2 years later I'm still trying to get them stopped. There are a couple I can't, because they are offshore and there's no option to unsubscribe.
Ah, that's too bad. I never liked the east side of town; we live in the northwest. Well, you can still do the electronic coupons on your Fry's card. They only email me with the weekly ad, and I think I chose that option.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:46 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,226 times
Our Walmart won't take competitor's coupons. They price match though.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Our Walmart won't take competitor's coupons. They price match though.
Ours will but it has to be a printed coupon from the newspaper. They can't just come in and say "I can get ______ at ______ for $____ so you have to match it". Although that's what the commercial on TV makes it LOOK like they can do.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Ours will but it has to be a printed coupon from the newspaper. They can't just come in and say "I can get ______ at ______ for $____ so you have to match it". Although that's what the commercial on TV makes it LOOK like they can do.
Ours won't take printed competitor's coupons, but if we go in and say "I can get ______ at ______ for $____ they will match it. It sounds like my store has it backwards, LOL.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Ours won't take printed competitor's coupons, but if we go in and say "I can get ______ at ______ for $____ they will match it. It sounds like my store has it backwards, LOL.
Now THAT is weird. So anybody can come into my store and say that and get what they want without any proof whatsoever?? I don't think so. lol We don't get any money back from competitors, unlike manufacturers coupons, but it's PROOF of pricing.

Today I had a customer that actually made me proud! A woman using a food stamp card came in with her loooong list of ad matches plus a small stack of coupons. And she didn't buy a cart load of junk food, soda and candy! She did really good and I told her so. I wish ALL folks on food stamps would be that smart. I was, when I got them and it was a game and a challenge to see how much I could get for what money I was allowed. I always ended the month with some money left over too.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Now THAT is weird. So anybody can come into my store and say that and get what they want without any proof whatsoever?? I don't think so. lol We don't get any money back from competitors, unlike manufacturers coupons, but it's PROOF of pricing.

Today I had a customer that actually made me proud! A woman using a food stamp card came in with her loooong list of ad matches plus a small stack of coupons. And she didn't buy a cart load of junk food, soda and candy! She did really good and I told her so. I wish ALL folks on food stamps would be that smart. I was, when I got them and it was a game and a challenge to see how much I could get for what money I was allowed. I always ended the month with some money left over too.
You did good then and so did she

Old 07-03-2011, 08:43 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I guess I just don't get it. Most of the coupons I see require you to buy 2 or 3 of the item to get the $1 off. Coupons used to be an incentive to try a product you have never used before but I won't buy it if I have to get 2 or 3.
It DEFINITELY depends where you live. Like me, you in New England. Our coupons suck, plain and simple. Here in CT we get the same - $1 off 2, 3, 4 etc. items, and stores only double to 99 cents. On RARE occassions I get $1 off 1, but I still can't double and our so-called "sale" prices still make the item expensive.

However, my friend in CA occassionally sends me her leftover inserts and I find many better coupons in there.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
There is a show where this dude spent like $400 and with coupons, he walked out spending only like $15.

Is this possible?
Yes, it is possible
ONLY IF: you're store will allow unlimited coupons and doubles and you have no problems with shelf clearing (if your store has the stock)
Then, you have to be willing to buy ALOT of only a few things.
I have been couponing for years. I belong to several couponing boards and I have a nice stockpile of things I WILL use.
I loathe that show, because of all the dishonesty and bad behaviour it shows.
I have ethics. i don't clear whole shelf because it's free or I will get overage, and I won't misuse a coupon (for thwrong product or size) and I won't steal newspapers.
If anyone wants some names of good sites that promote honest couponing, let me know. They're free to join

Old 07-03-2011, 12:11 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
If you want to discuss this in greater detail, let me know.

The show you may have seen on TV is not reality.
I've used coupons for years and the stores have rules, restrictions, and limits, and some of what is shown on Extreme Couponing is what is called "made for TV."

A coupon I get may not be in your Sunday paper.
You may have XYZ store chain that doubles certain coupons and my store may not.

It is a "your mileage may vary" hobby.

There is no get rich quick plan. I can save 70-80-100% on some items. I've got a refrigerator and two freezers, so I can accomodate buying more than one of an item. Some items are good for stockpiling, as it is called, and others are not. Some items are on sale regularly and there are coupons for those items more than once a year, so no need to buy in volume.
Coupons help me save some money and get to try items that I would not ordinarily get to buy due to cost.

I got 10 bottles of Hz. 57 sauce for $12.90 and the regular price is $3.99 per bottle. So, I saved 68% on what is an expensive item.
And I had a coupon that saved me $1 on any meat if I bought Hz. 57 sauce.
I got 10 packs of ground turkey for free, due to the store's coupon policy and the sale and my coupons.

Let's see, 10 packs of meat and 10 bottles of Hz. 57 sauce for $12.90. It was like buying 3.33 bottles of Hz. 57 sauce at the regular price and get the other 6.66 bottles free and the meat for free.
Too true!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living