Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:34 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

Try

angelfoodministeries.com

they are NOT a food bank nor charity, its a low-cost way to buy food, look them up if there's a site near you. Not everything they sell is all that "healthy" but overall pretty good

here's just a few of my "tips":

soup---save any leftovers, like bits of veggies, meat, whatever, then, instead of making soup stock, like those perfect cook recipies tell you to do, just use a can of chicken noodle soup as a base, easier

ask at the deli for the "ends' they cut off the ends of hunks of cheese, meats, etc, can't slice them, oftentimes they sell them, a "grab bag: I did get ends for $1/pound way back, I'm sure its gone up now. You take what you get, but I'm not picky, get a nice variety of cheeses, meats, etc

and, the other tips here! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 05:40 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I understand the diabetic thing.

I would buy a turkey every month and roast it. Take all the meat off the bones and portion and freeze. Make a good soup with the carcass. Again, portion and freeze. Use whatever veggies you want in the soup. Turkey is high quality protein and no carbs. I also shop for turkey ham and if I can find it for a reasonable price I buy that too. It used to be really cheap until people caught on that it's quite good. Pork butt is another cheap source of protein. Cook it in the crockpot till it is falling off the bone. Then drain it and scrape off any remaining fat. Shred it with 2 forks, season, portion, and freeze. You can probably eat beans once in a while, do those in the crockpot too. Don't add salt till the beans are done.

Dreamfields makes a really good low carb pasta. Most low carb breads are very expensive and don't taste great. I do breadless sandwiches on lettuce or cabbage leaves.

Look for Hispanic/Asian grocery stores. Many times their prices are better and they have more choices than other stores. Learn how to use spices. A pot of beans or soup can be a delight or a punishment depending on how it's seasoned.

Ok, I second the turkey!

Here's my recipie for turkey soup:

boil the carcass until all meat is off the bones, and marrow all boils out

remove bones--use strainer

add chopped up white potatoes, or you can use sweet potatoes. I find sweet potatoes don't raise my blood sugar like white potatoes, and tastes about the same in the soup

add diced onions, carrots, celery if you like (add at end, it breaks down fast)

then, add a few cans condensed tomato soup, some ketchup, tomato paste, a few tbsp worchestshire sauce

let simmer for several hours, I use a crock pot

this is one of those recipies that's better the next day!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:16 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I love all these suggestions! Thank you so much!

I have a crock pot and it is a wonderful appliance for sure.

Believe me, I adore beans (and brown rice) but I have to be careful because they will pack lbs on me very easily. It's hard to limit the serving size to 1/2 cup cooked.

Frozen veggies are super easy and I like broccoli in a stir-fry. I also like tofu and that's inexpensive.

I have been a slave to convenience foods at the store and that will have to end. Plus all those specialty items at Trader Joe's ($$$$$) which just plain add up fast.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 PM

As for the job situation I confess I'm really scared. The economy is bad and getting worse. I had a terrible time with my career between 2000 and 2005 and I'm worried these last 6+ yrs at one (large) company aren't enough to counteract those painful prior years. sigh...

Old 07-24-2011, 08:40 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
if you have 99 cent stores in your area, they have a lot of good food for cheap. . . .decent fruits and veggies too, but canned beans tuna, etc.. . . .best source of cheap protien.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:55 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Our grocery budget for 2 is $300/month. I use coupons when available for things that we use. Our stores give us no problem with coupons printed from the net, so we do search for the foods we use and print the coupons. You can especially save lots of money with personal care coupons.

For inexpensive proteins, we use eggs, tofu, TVP, and sale/markdown meats. I bring that last home and either prepare or freeze it that night. I got a couple of whole chickens the other day; they will be roasted, chicken salad made from the leftovers (DH LOVES chicken salad), and the carcass used for soup. I usually throw a carrot or two, celery, and various available low-carb veggies in my soups.

HTH

Old 07-24-2011, 11:14 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
If you're trying for low-carb health, I second the "glycemic index" approach.
Regarding pasta, there are whole-grain kinds (the one I know is Barilla) and that's not a high-glycemic carb hit. Whole grains wherever possible because they are complex carbs and higher fiber.
I second the suggestions of quinoa. It's terrific stuff by itself, never mind with anything.
Best wishes in your job search and aim for better health. I think we've all been there.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Unemployment (retirement) 101
1) stop the bleeding (cash outflow) no cable, no coffee, no 'treats' or one $.50 treat / day... good luck finding that! ) I do Sonic Real fruit smoothie 1/wk at happy hr when I feel a high need for a special treat... )

2) Set aside and KEEP an emergency reserve account

3) Cheapen EVERYTHING (I drive a $35 car that gets 50 mpg on free fryer grease... been doing so since 1976 ). For that price, I keep a few spares around. I found most of them in neighborhood 'brier patches' (VW Rabbits) You only need two, they multiply quickly (folks seem to drop them off in my driveway )
NO MORE TICKETS to events, I now volunteer usher at my favorite venues.

4) Revive and FIND networks (90% of jobs come through acquaintances)

5) no Lamenting, turn the page a get after it (whatever you want... I did an advanced degree program (simplified and LENGTHENED my unemployment benefits

6) don't stress (bad for health) keep busy, volunteer, that can lead to employment, and keeps you active and NO RESUME GAPS. (I volunteer at 3 non-profits in a field I hope to eventually do full time overseas work (volunteering / minimal pay)). Volunteer at a soup kitchen FREE food!! (I do that too).

7) make a skills inventory and keep them sharp. (I just took a job in a field I haven't used for 15 yrs, but it is one that pays well, and I am very good at it (and it is NIGHT SHIFT so I don't have to burn daylight at work... (I'm a farm kid, HATE working days)). I'm using it as a learning experience AND to keep skill set current. (I am on a TIMECLOCK for the first time in over 40 yrs... we'll see how long THAT lasts...) Last career was 'flex-time'... I have been ruined.

Have a BLAST --- treat yourself to some FREE things you enjoy (I go to libraries on hot days, and often to free rehearsals. I travel A LOT on $39 - $89 airfares. I stay in private guest homes $10/night, as I have for 30 yrs, WONDERFUL and cheaper than staying home!! (I got my last rental car for $4.95 / day, unlimited mileage (I added over 4k to it in a week). I had FUN, U can TOO!

Protein for cheap? Eggs, Find a farmer friend they share LOTS of free food (that is where many folks fled to during Great Depression).

Flax seed, very good for you and cheap ('Ground meal' keeps in Dark fridge for ~ 1 month w/o losing nutrition value) Steel cut oats and flax make for a good $0.50 meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I understand the diabetic thing.
I would buy a turkey every month and roast it. ...
Look for Hispanic/Asian grocery stores. ...
GREAT ideas, I buy several turkeys in NOV ($0.19 / pound to 'free' with $50 purchase. I cook at least 3 in one day in my Weber BBQ, they make GREAT soup, burritos, salads, .... I also buy local meat in season (Steelhead Salmon at the moment... $3/#) Yum, Smoked Salmon chowder on a winter day (even good today)

Quote:
A pot of beans or soup can be a delight or a punishment depending on how it's seasoned.
Even more so how it is cooked / prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
Our grocery budget (including cleaning supplies, household paper goods, batteries, light bulbs, etc.) is $200 for the two of us. Most of the times we spend less than that, and we eat in 99.99% of the time....
We like quinoa, which is very high in complete protein (nine essential amino acids) plus iron and magnesium. Quinoa costs a little bit more than other grains, but its filling capacity is much greater so a smaller serving goes a long way. I understand quinoa is high in carb count but with lower net carb or digestible carb....
We eat Vietnamese food, Thai food, ...and we also know where our grocery budget stands at any given time.
$100 / month in an envelope feeds 2-4 persons / month at my house (as it has since the 1970's). We eat very healthy, lots of fresh fruit, little to no processed carbs, seldom eat out (2x / yr?). Fast 1-2 days / week and prepare food for needy (unemployed like I was / seniors!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If you're trying for low-carb health, I second the "glycemic index" approach.....
I use Glycemic Index, but even more loyal to Glycemic Load Glycemic load - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lots of info on GL out of Austrailia and other countries. '(I'm eating watermelon and fresh blueberries (from the front yard) at the moment). yum, yes right before bedtime I won't lose any sleep over it...

Sorry about the job. I got the axe over 6 yrs ago (6wks prior to retirement eligibility & after 32 yrs service for a 'formerly' benevolent employer...) life goes on, and I'm not starving. (The $33/day property tax bill is keeping me pretty thin)... up from <$3/day a few yrs ago.... We certainly don't want to lay off the Tax assessor (maybe execute them...)

I am back to my High school weight, but the 'W-i-d-t-h' is a bit more elusive

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-25-2011 at 12:23 AM..

Old 07-25-2011, 12:47 AM

As for preparation for a job loss, I've been on the ball, socking away money every paycheck (on top of maxing out 401K) for years. I lived below my means so I could put money into savings and investments. I rarely, if ever, go to Starbucks, I make my own coffee each morning. I don't drink alcohol so that's not an expenditure for me when I do go out. I use a "pay yourself first" model with monies taken out of my paycheck automatically and put into savings/CDs/investments. It's the only way I know to do it. That good habit is what keeps me sane in this insane and chaotic world. I don't live in poverty, I have a decent house, drive a newer car (paid in cash) and will keep that car for the next 13+ years, as I did the previous car. I save for the things I want.

But the job market, the economic recession we've been in for the last 8 - 10 years...yes, I am worried. I've had some really tough times in my work life, and I cannot afford to retire yet. I need to work another 15 - 20 years.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:57 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You can easily find coupon inserts online -- Sunday Coupon Preview

And you can purchase them, I think -- separate from the newspaper...

So you can see what you're missing -- and if they will make a difference for you. I know a lot of people that really "clean up" on personal products and cleaning supplies and the food sort of comes in free that way.... and any little bit helps.
You can also use couponmom.com, raininghotcoupons.com, justfindit4u.com, and a bunch of others. If you have facebook "like" their pages and get specials also. With all 3 I have received sample bottles of shampoos, conditioners, Miracle Whip, and a little bit of everything. Might not think much of the sample sizes but, if you're watching your expenses, that little bottle of shampoo might give you a few times in the shower before you before you have to go buy a big bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living