Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times

Advertisements

Many years ago the government would give lots of commodities out. Nowadays, you might get a couple of cans of corn or green beans, and maybe some oversalted canned beef or chicken. I got this information from a friend on SSI that used to go to the food banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 11:58 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Angel Food Ministeries never was a "food Bank" nor a charity. You paid for the food, albeit discounted prices. They were NOT subsidized by the govt, nor a govt program.

The unique thing about AFM was, it was available to everyone, not just those on govt aid. That is, it was available to everyone who could pay. To suggest that people using AFM now go to govt food banks is
not a viable idea....you have to qualify to use those servces, by being low income.

AFM was for the rest of us, those working people who were struggling to get by. On a total family income of 75K, we do ok, but only if we pinch every penny. However, we certainly don't qualify for food banks!

BTW, have any of you ever been in a food bank? My kids Sunday School volunterred at a food bank, the inventory was pathetic. Shelves were almost bare---my ds helped an elderly lady out to her car, actually, she had come in a taxi. DS was actually crying, he said the cost of the taxi would be more than the pathetic few food items she got.

When we used AFM, we used to purchase one box/month for our church to donate to a needy family, we never knew who they were, but our kids suspected our neighbor got it---they said they got "stuff from the church" and it looked like the items we purchased.

We will do ok, just shop for bargains wherever we can. And folks, please, don't forget to donate to food banks. Those donation barrels in grocery stores, come on, would one can of something kill you? I try to always put at least one item in the barrel, one can, or box, or something. You don't know who you are feeding---could be your neighbors!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
The unique thing about AFM was, it was available to everyone, not just those on govt aid. That is, it was available to everyone who could pay. To suggest that people using AFM now go to govt food banks is
not a viable idea....you have to qualify to use those servces, by being low income.
Not all foodbanks are run by the gov't. Many do not require you to meet any qualifications. I am the president of the board of an organization that runs a foodbank that is open to all who feel the need.

Please note: I am not saying that people simply trying to be thrifty should be using foodbanks. Foodbanks are for those in need, not those simply trying to save a buck so they can afford more luxuries.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:37 PM

Despite the name, Angel Food Ministeries was NOT a charity---we PAID for the food, about $35-$45/box. for us, that was usually around $150/Month. It was discounted, first-quality food. No different than shopping AT Sam's or Costco for discounts, or using coupons, etc.

Perhaps the reason AFM went out of business was because they had fewer orders? It was aimed at the "middle class squeeze'---not a handout.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:39 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
ML2,

Angel Food Ministries is a Charity (Legally). Its a 501c3 Public Charity. But, it gets very little in contributions, Of its $133million budget, in 2009 it got $76K in contributions.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:42 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Angel Food Ministeries never was a "food Bank" nor a charity.
Personally I think that was part of its problem... selling to anyone willing to pay.

Your perception of food banks is skewed... I ran a food bank for 10 years,with NO government involvement.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Personally I think that was part of its problem... selling to anyone willing to pay.

Your perception of food banks is skewed... I ran a food bank for 10 years,with NO government involvement.

I thinknyou're the one who "doesn't get it". They were a business, just like any other. More sales, more profits, less sales, less profits, go out of business----you said "sell to anyone willing to pay". Ok, what's wrong with paying for your food as oppposed to getting it free from a food bank?

If they only sold to those at the poverty level, well, they get less profits. Sad, you just don't get it.........

Old 09-16-2011, 01:26 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

What you say makes no sense?

Why would you not sell to those willing to pay? That is the purpose of the ministry.

ALL food banks have some type of government involvement....hence the tax filings.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:37 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This is terrible for people who depend upon this service.

I googled this and found some disturbing news about how they are investigating where the money goes. I hope that the administrators are not taking huge salaries like the article implied. That would just be wrong.

There used to be another company called "Share" that had to file bankruptcy. I hope that Angel Food comes back and continues to help people. I know there are a lot of people around here that depend on it.

20yrsinBranson
It certainly takes chutzpah to pay oneself $697,037 while being investigated by the FBI. I hope Joe Wingo is indicted.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:13 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Not all foodbanks are run by the gov't. Many do not require you to meet any qualifications. I am the president of the board of an organization that runs a foodbank that is open to all who feel the need.

Please note: I am not saying that people simply trying to be thrifty should be using foodbanks. Foodbanks are for those in need, not those simply trying to save a buck so they can afford more luxuries.
The foodbanks in our area all get at least some food from the Central PA foodbank, and so they have to do income checks. The one pantry gets more donated than they get from the Cen. PA. FB, so they have stretched their guidelines some, but still, around here at least, if you're not lower income, you can't get
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living