Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:40 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,316,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Hey I love mary janes.

So do I, and always have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 08:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollipopbubbles View Post
I know Halloween is past now but how did you get away with that or were you just kidding?It's not allowed here to give out anything that's not wrapped by the Company that makes the candies. So making anything homemade is not permitted. Kids are not allowed to eat anything homemade.
So that's why there are so many Americans in prison. Just how is this "law" enforced?

How much you wanna bet that the Candy Industry started this insane propaganda campaign, knowing that the American people are cowering in fear of their own shadows, personifications of terror flailing about for direction.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:48 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,967,550 times
As a kid, we went from house to house, got the goods and moved on. I never heard of Trick or Treat until I moved to northeastern PA (I grew up in Phila)
We got apples, a lot, and spice wafers, unwrapped, and pennies. The random piece of candy was usually a tootsie roll or a Klein's Lunch Bar. If someone was having an adult party, especially if Hallowe'en fell on a Fri or Sat night when folks used to have card parties, we got invited in and the men, who had usually imbibed a bit, were very generous and gave us nickels or dimes.
Two of my grands went to their church where there was a Trunk or Treat in the parking lot. Church members decorated the car trunks and gave out treats just like house-to-house except it was car-to-car. There was a popcorn machine, hot dogs and hot chocolate.
The Univ. of Scranton, where another grand is a student, had a trick or treat in the dorms. The students were excited to see the little ones in their costumes. Guess they aren't that far removed from the days when they were the "little ones".

As far as M O N E Y, I guess you can spend as much or as little as you want. We had 140 bags to give out. The first goblin knocked on the door at 6:30. By 7:30, the last bag was gone. Turned out the porch light. Hallowe'en's done. This is a very short street. The vans start arriving, dropping off the kids and the vans go to the end of the street to wait to pick them up.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:19 PM

22,630 posts, read 47,766,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How much you wanna bet that the Candy Industry started this insane propaganda campaign, knowing that the American people are cowering in fear of their own shadows, personifications of terror flailing about for direction.

No, no conspiracy theories!... it is just common sense.

Who allows their kids to eat homemade things made by a stranger?
No way you know what went into it....

Old 11-19-2011, 05:08 PM

505 posts, read 717,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

I'm almost 60yo and my mom wouldn't allow us to eat homemade things by a stranger when I was trick or treating 50 years ago. It seems like common sense to me.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:43 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,967,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
I'm almost 60yo and my mom wouldn't allow us to eat homemade things by a stranger when I was trick or treating 50 years ago. It seems like common sense to me.
Maybe that's the problem - We only went to houses in our neighborhood where the people knew us and we knew them. Now the kids who show up at the door are coming from miles away - driven in cars by parents who somehow think that the treats are better somewhere else.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:51 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,274,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Maybe that's the problem - We only went to houses in our neighborhood where the people knew us and we knew them. Now the kids who show up at the door are coming from miles away - driven in cars by parents who somehow think that the treats are better somewhere else.
Or apartment dwellers. We get some apt kids from up the street.
A big bag of mini tootsie rolls is the cheap way to go. And they are good sweet tooth killers for me as well I can get away with the good stuff though because we don't get too many kids.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:49 AM

505 posts, read 717,376 times
We went in our neighborhood where my mom knew the people. Maybe that was the problem, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living