Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:25 PM

41 posts, read 49,048 times

Advertisements

You would think that the people who shop in the Dollar Store and Walmart would be the sharpest people on earth because you can save so much money there. But to this day I can' t get over how terrible the people look who shop at these terrible stores. I love the savings but feel dirty while shopping there! The stores are dirty, the people look and act terrible and the service is awful.

It's the price for saving money! Agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 12:34 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killing time View Post
You would think that the people who shop in the Dollar Store and Walmart would be the sharpest people on earth because you can save so much money there. But to this day I can' t get over how terrible the people look who shop at these terrible stores. I love the savings but feel dirty while shopping there! The stores are dirty, the people look and act terrible and the service is awful.

I'm sorry, but I must disagree. I don't shop at dollar stores anymore, as there aren't any near me, but when there were, I had no problems with them. I like to go to Wal-Mart a couple of times a year though, to stock up, but 'my' Wally World is clean, well stocked, the folks are friendly, and the people there don't look any different than a cross section of people from anywhere else in the city. I live in a remote location in the mountains but shop in N. Vancouver (most of the time) when I/we need supplies.

Where do you live?

Blessings,

Mahrie.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:48 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I buy this Mexican soap..Fabulouso!...in different scents...I love that stuff...before someone comes over I pour some in the toilets and down the sink...people say,
"Mmm, your house smells so good!"

It's something like $1.30 more in the Super Market...same with Lysol germ-free wipes...
I feel smart shopping in those places. I do happen to go into
places that are super clean and nice...Family something is pretty bad...
I hardly go in there.

Oh, and gallons of ammonia! Can't beat the $1 stores for that!
I have to get AA Lithium batteries...off to Walmart!

Oh, and I could care less about what the people look like...I feel like
Princess Diana when I go in...kind and smiling, spreading peace and love.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:55 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
We have a couple of versions of dollar stores here. You can't depend on any one thing being available. I do like looking for last season's clothes since it can be gotten for a good price. The daily stuff is also a good price, but you can sometimes get much higher grade brands too.

Generally though, I find walmart cheaper and you can depend on it being there.

Basically, though, I shop more and more online, amazon my favorite but walmart the second option. And no transportation problems, as I don't have a car. I also monitor the stuff I get on walmart and amazon for sales and nice reductions and buy extra when its practical.

No need to feel like your part of the underclass if you shop in either. Its the SAME stuff you get for much more at other stores. Why not save a bit?

Old 09-24-2015, 01:16 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
I consider Walmart and dollar stores to be in vastly different categories (though I have seen some quite entertaining patrons in both!)

I do buy my household cleaning supplies, paper products, and toiletries at Walmart. If I compare prices, they tend to have the best prices for the things I routinely buy. Even though there are some strange characters walking around in there, the lines move swiftly and they always have a ton of registers open. In contrast, Target which is slightly more expensive, but has a less bizarre clientele, never has enough registers open, and the lines are ridiculous. My Walmart is also very clean as well.

However, this is totally different from dollar stores. I do not shop in them, but I've gone into several of them just to see what the attraction is, and just tried a few items. For most products, I don't see bargains at all. To me a bargain is something of the highest quality for the lowest price. I don't see high quality products there.

Paper towels for instance: Like it or not, name brands like Bounty work better. Sure those rolls of paper towels at the dollar store are dirt cheap, but the paper towels themselves are not good, and there are far fewer paper towels on each roll (look at the count, or just squeeze the roll from the middle to the edge). So for more money at Walmart, I'm getting a lot more paper towels and much more effective paper towels.

At one dollar store, I found spray cleaner, like generic Windex or generic Fantastik for a dollar a bottle. The ounces were similar to the bottles of spray cleaner I usually buy, and the price was cheaper, so a good deal, right? Nope. The cleaners were diluted and hardly cleaned at all. The window cleaner left streaks all over my mirrors. Each dollar I spent on those cleaners was a waste of money, and I could have gotten good quality spray cleaner for like a $1.79 at Walmart that would work better. I tried liquid dish soap from that same dollar store, and same deal: watery and diluted. Had to use much more with each dish/glass I washed.

Similar experiences with a plastic container-caddy to organize stuff in my trunk (it cracked in a few months), and some plastic food containers (weak and flimsy, Rubbermaid are much better). They sell some weird batteries with names you've never heard of, when it's clear that Energizer and Duracell are far superior.

Some people I know agree with me that dollar stores are terrible but they say they are wonderful for wrapping paper and gift bags. Meh. I guess If I had kids who had to go to 80 birthday parties a month, the cheap flimsy gift wrapping and gift bags there would be worth it. But I pretty much only wrap or gift-bag presents at Christmas and for a few birthdays a year, so I prefer to just keep a stock of gift bags, tissue, and wrapping paper at home, and maybe once a year I stock up on some more at Walmart. I actually get my Christmas paper after Christmas at the Hallmark store--the Hallmark paper is much nicer, thicker and some are even reversible.

Most people who go to dollar stores seem to not go for something specific but just to shop/browse and see what's there. To me, that means buying stuff I don't really need because the price might look good at the moment. I'm not big on impulse buying in general, but I can see people buying lots of stuff in those stores that they didn't even have in mind when they walked in.

I work in community mental health, and sadly, I see a lot of our clients shopping in dollar stores. When we try to teach how to look at the item count, ounces, weight, etc, and comparing price per unit, they often don't get it. All they see is this thing in front of me right now is a dollar, and I have a dollar, and a dollar isn't very much. I imagine that a lot of regular dollar store shoppers, though perhaps not with a diagnosed mental health condition, have the same deficit of understanding. The other issue is that for poorer people who don't drive, it's much easier to find a dollar store on any bus route, but a good grocery store or even a Walmart is not so easy to get to.

So no, I don't feel bad shopping at Walmart. I feel like a smart shopper. Plus I get the enjoyment of seeing the freaky people (who always seem to be there). But yes, I would feel self-conscious going into a dollar store, just knowing my own opinion of regular dollar stores patrons.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:22 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Quote:

The only one making you feel the way you do is YOU!

Old 09-24-2015, 01:47 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:

Would be the sharpest as in how? Smarts? Looks? What do you mean by that statement?

Old 09-24-2015, 01:51 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
I can' t get over how terrible the people look who shop at these terrible stores. I love the savings but feel dirty while shopping there! The stores are dirty, the people look and act terrible and the service is awful.
Well aren't you just a peach? Bless your heart.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:11 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"I work in community mental health, and sadly, I see a lot of our clients shopping in dollar stores. "

OK, I'll play. I worked in a state hospital, my wife has her PhD in the field. Sadly, I see a lot of rich people buying high-end cars from dealerships and losing 1/3 the value just driving off the lot, and losing much of the rest of the value over the next ten years, when they could make much better choices. I imagine that a lot of regular dealership shoppers, though perhaps not with a diagnosed mental health condition, have the same deficit of understanding.

Dollar stores are just another store. Some of the products are poor, some are overpriced even at a dollar, but the same goes for every other store. The skill of the shopper is not directly linked to the stores frequented.

Looking at my last trip to Dollar Tree, I see two boxes of 120 count facial tissues that are perfectly fine, a 3 outlet wall tap that would have cost over $3 anywhere else, some small sorting boxes unavailable elsewhere, boxed brand name apple juice (we use it so rarely that buying a bottle doesn't make sense), and generic nasal decongestant that goes for three times the price at a drugstore.

OTOH, last time I shopped at Walmart I noticed that their "Great Value" brand cashews were MORE expensive than the Planters ones in the same size package, and the "clearance" USB phone I bought for use with skype for $30 had to go back because A/ it wasn't wireless but had a short USB cable and B/ was apparently designed and made when Windows Vista was the latest and greatest and the software refused to load on my Win 7 computer, saying I needed to "upgrade to Vista".

Shopping experiences vary. Personal wants and needs vary. Equating mental health issues and dollar store shopping suggests that there might be another issue involved...

Old 09-24-2015, 02:15 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:

LOL

This is indicative of the neighborhood. Do you live in the hood, OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living