Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times

Advertisements

I am trying very hard to buy products made in the USA. If I can't find a US made item, I buy used if possible. Is anyone else doing this or something similar? What are the best buys/products you have been able to find?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
That is our goal as well....
one of the first places we put this in place is in the grocery store. We let the grocers' know as well.
We won't buy their products unless they are properly COOL labeled, with US on them. Both meat and produce.

As fas as other goods, you just have to do your research.
There are websites out there that can guide in the right direction, as to where you can get these items.

I am not sure if you are a walmart shopper but one of the first things you can do is stay the heck out of there. They are not pro USA.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:30 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
That is our goal as well....
one of the first places we put this in place is in the grocery store. We let the grocers' know as well.
We won't buy their products unless they are properly COOL labeled, with US on them. Both meat and produce.

As fas as other goods, you just have to do your research.
There are websites out there that can guide in the right direction, as to where you can get these items.

I am not sure if you are a walmart shopper but one of the first things you can do is stay the heck out of there. They are not pro USA.
I avoid Walmart for that reason. Would rather do the thrift store.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:37 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
REI makes it super-easy online:

Made in the USA at REI.com

I wish more websites would do this.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:47 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,648 times
I would not care where the products have been manufactured but at which price and quality they are offered. I am not willing to pay more for a product made in usa with less quality (e.g. cars, electronics). If the american producers want me to buy their goods, they have to stay competitive, not only say "hey, our products are expensive, our products are not of a high value, but buy it, they are american". This way we harm the international trans-border trade and our overseas partners.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:08 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I would not care where the products have been manufactured but at which price and quality they are offered. I am not willing to pay more for a product made in usa with less quality (e.g. cars, electronics). If the american producers want me to buy their goods, they have to stay competitive, not only say "hey, our products are expensive, our products are not of a high value, but buy it, they are american". This way we harm the international trans-border trade and our overseas partners.
Totally agree. Especially when it comes to frugal shopping, quality and value trumps all. American manufacturers are competitive in some areas, and unfortunately, they are severely outdone in many other areas. It's a shame that supporting our home economy and smart consumption are becoming mutually exclusive.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:14 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Agreed.

If there were not a Toyota and a Honda, US cars manufacturers would be giving us more Chevrolet Vegas and Dodge Neons.

When Lee Iaccocca was on the TV 24/7 asking Americans to buy MEDIOCRE K-cars and Omni/Horizons, he had his procurement people buying vehicles and engines from Mitsubishi and importing other engines from Germany.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:18 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
I am normally a free trader, but with extraordinarily high cyclical unemployment, and with some of our key trading partners not doing their share to stimulate the global economy, I intend to lean more to looking for made in the USA.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:04 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Seems odd that searching for made in the USA would appear on the frugal living forum. But then, it does cut your consumption sharply if you limit your purchases to US-made goods. At one time there was stronger preference for buying American, but no more.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
I've noticed almost all the canned and frozen seafood products are from China,
Basically China owns the canned and frozen sections of your supermarket.
To make sure my money is going to the locals i try to do most of my shopping at the local farmers market.
Things like electronics, plastics , clothing, footware are almost all made in China or Asia so you dont even have any "Buy American" option.
I dont understand why it is if it costs an American $10 to make a widget and it costs an Asian $1 to make a similar widget why there isnt a $9 import duty assessed that $1 widget if they want to sell it in America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living