Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,754,176 times

Advertisements

Whether or not you are a small house enthusiast or prefere mansions and can afford them, I hope we always have the freedom to choose our lifestyle dwelling and not have the government tell us what we must live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,704 times
I have a problem with the declaration: It's time for Americans to start downsizing and it starts with smaller houses.

Not sure who thinks it's OK to tell others what they need to do and when, but I'll stick with my normal sized home, thank you.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
I don't think we all need to move into 100 sq foot sheds or Tokyo-sized apartments, but 99% of us surely don't need a 6-10k sq foot mcmansion with a 4 car garage filled floor to ceiling with plastic crap, a couple of barge-sized SUVs in the driveway and all paid for in monthly payments made by 2 spouses working two jobs and making up the shortfall with 10 credit cards in their wallets.

But that lifestyle is definitely not in vogue anymore and is almost dead, me thinks.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:59 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't think we all need to move into 100 sq foot sheds or Tokyo-sized apartments, but 99% of us surely don't need a 6-10k sq foot mcmansion with a 4 car garage filled floor to ceiling with plastic crap, a couple of barge-sized SUVs in the driveway and all paid for in monthly payments made by 2 spouses working two jobs and making up the shortfall with 10 credit cards in their wallets.

But that lifestyle is definitely not in vogue anymore and is almost dead, me thinks.
99% of us never had that....

Old 01-21-2012, 09:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
99% of us never had that....
Not in the frugality forum, anyway.

I happen to be surrounded by people like that, but sometimes I forget the world isn't experiencing my life too.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,875,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, Used Mobile Homes are the least expensive (and quickest) way to establish housing. They can be had for free from folks who can't move them. Also manufacturers have NEW homes that were bought but never delivered (usually sold for cost + 10%). I have found many newer modular homes for $30,000. You often need a 'placement' permit rather than a full blown (and expensive) building permit.

FHA does not insure mortgages on manufactured homes built prior to June 15, 1976. Most other mortgage insurance firms follow FHA's policy. (there was a code change disallowing aluminum wiring)HUD- Manufactured Housing and Standards

I have found the versions with metal siding far superior in longevity / maintenance to the 'current / 90's style T-111 / composite wood' siding and conventional asphalt roof.

How to Remodel Older Mobile Homes | eHow.com
How to Finance a Mobile Home | eHow.com

Financing these can be an issue. You will want one on a foundation (or better yet a basement). If you have sloped lots, you can make a daylight basement, add a single wide mobile and a large covered deck on top, and you will have some inexpensively taxed improvements with good rental return.

I have been able to get a license to install my own septic systems. That saves about $5000 / lot. You can rent the equipment to run power and water and do that in a weekend.
Be sure to tie them down (steel straps and auger stakes). My neighbor's brand new modular was blown flat, back when I was about 12 yrs old.

Amazingly helpful information! Rep to you and thanks for taking the time for this tutorial!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:31 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
I came across this little clip this morning and thought the reporter did a good job: Tiny Houses: Less is More | The New York Times It may not be for everyone or maybe others just at this moment but it is worthy of thought especially as so many big homes sit empty while others sweat the foreclosure notice coming in the mail. Editing to say that I think I saw the sheriff delivering the foreclosure notices.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:29 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,686,666 times
I agree as well to let everyone else the choice to choose... as big government have already taken away much of US's freedom enough.

Like how in my metro area, government loves building those town homes / SFH (new build) in a HOA settings (for government workers) kinda like a "nicer project" that many city dwellers move into to get in touch with their suburbia roots. All bragging that it is lower cost in electric, better lifestyle (via club houses, home values, property maintenance etc.) & such. Been in many of those (rented one, been in others via tours & job related work)... my bill now is half what these places are (info from living there, and a few friends living there)...

Why???
These places are build to make a profit from the buyers to fill the coffers of the developers (even some housing stock holders).. hence super thin walls & sub quality materials (remember, in this case we have given up the freedom for the choice of what materials / work is put into a "mass produced" places... most buyers buy "after" the homes are build even... although some may have reserved their homes before & have few choices like better fixtures... but most buyers aren't & cannot "BE" the general contractor & write checks out to their sub-contractors = developers hold the key to the "builder" checks).

So yeah... even though the green living sounds good & all...

BUT, should some kind of "mass organization" were to get involved into building these so-called green ideas would never be a good thing.

=

Like many much older homes...
Even if your ideal home is a "NEW" small house...
Make sure *you* are the one responsible to select & even build with your 2 own hands that house you'll be living in.

Either that or hire the Amish folks who build homes "the old way" ***.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:39 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,686,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I came across this little clip this morning and thought the reporter did a good job: Tiny Houses: Less is More | The New York Times It may not be for everyone or maybe others just at this moment but it is worthy of thought especially as so many big homes sit empty while others sweat the foreclosure notice coming in the mail. Editing to say that I think I saw the sheriff delivering the foreclosure notices.
The trick is to buy the house you can afford on the location you can afford.

In Manhattan NYC, say where even the 400 sq ft high rise condo is priced at 1/2 a million plus plus close to prime location versus out in the upstate NY countryside, where 1/2 a million buys you that 1 acre lot & a 2000 sq ft house

= very different scenario
= very different set of choices for individuals
= what is good for the goose, AIN'T good for the gander
= if *you* have only the choice to live in and only afford that 400 sq ft house...

*WHY* should that choice also be choked down someone else's throat????

Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
but 99% of us surely don't need a 6-10k sq foot mcmansion
What % of the population do you think lives in 6K+ sq ft houses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living