Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:34 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times

Advertisements

I like the detail. They are adorable. I couldnt go that small though and I have lived in some tiny places. The smallest was 500 sft. It was my husband's first house. He paid cash and gutted it. He redesigned the floor plan and the house was really functional afterwards. It was kind of unique because there were 4 houses just like it on the block. The rest were 1000 sft bungalows. An elderly woman lived in the same style house we did and she told us the history. She said the small houses were built for the widows from WW II. That is how she lost her husband. She never married again and lived in her house since then. She asked for a double lot and got it. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
i think not extra space can be rented rooms. get rid of the junk and replace it with people.
get a smaller car, used, get rid of your gas guzzler. even small drops in consumption have a big affect on price.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:53 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Growing up here in Michigan, we have gotten hit a lot harder than most other states, and not only that.. our recession has been going on a lot longer than most other states. You see a lot less people driving high end cars and running up debt, there are a lot more people living within their means in this state, than say some of the other places around the USA that I've been.

I'm not saying it is a clear cut picture, but I think in the coming years, you're going to see the people in the US shifting to a more frugal style of living.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:29 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
I like the idea of a smaller house. Micro, no. Nor do I want to be hold I need to live in a smaller house or downsize. I will buy or build whatever I can afford and be happy with that.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,983 times
Here's one for sale in my area:

336 sq. ft, 1 bedroom, 1 bath on 3.39 acres.

An Unaddressed Floyd, VA 24091 - Home for Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #303633 - Realtor.com®

Not my cup of tea at all but I guess someone thought it would work for them, at least for a short while, since it was only built last year.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,754,176 times
I am personally an advocate for a smaller footprint but our very own progressive government often prohibits one from putting a very small house on their property. You not only have the International Building code spreading across the land you often butt heads with the Health department who will tell you if your place is habitable or not. Try finding land in a state of your choice and putting a small under 1,000 square ft residence on it. You often are forced into buying very large parcels and don't even mention the HOA that will also now have a say in what you design and build.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:24 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
www.tumbleweedhouses.com

Ranging from as little as 100sq feet, up to the behemoth 172sq ft 'Popomo', a lifestyle change for Americans is just a few pages of plans and some lumber away.

Lower power bills, less maintenance (replacing an 8x16ft roof doesn't cost that much), and overhead.

The wave of the future is here. And since banks do not finance these things, they could basically end the "foreclosure crisis" in a couple of years. No more complaining about a 30 year mortgage, adjustable rates, etc. These things are bought the old fashioned way. With cash, and some sweat and labor.

Tumbleweed Houses.

But the irony is, this country is so broke - Less than 80% of working Americans couldn't even afford to buy one them right now even if they wanted to!! Ha, ha.
Americans really do have an obsession with square footage (generally at the expense of quality construction and charm). But this is going too far in the opposite direction.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Americans really do have an obsession with square footage (generally at the expense of quality construction and charm). But this is going too far in the opposite direction.
Exactly.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:46 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Granted, living in 1005 square foot house I am not part of the problem, but with my hobbies it's a challenge. In a small house, when you quilt and crochet and sew and cook -- you do run out of room.

My next house will be larger. Not 5000 square feet, but a sensible 1500 or so, with a third bedroom and a second bathroom....

Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 PM

Size isn't always the issue as much as layout. The queen sized bed in our bedroom takes up so much space, no way we can use a king sized bed.

Now 3 beedrooms with and office/library
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living